• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Regarding antiquated PARs and reliability of said equipment you can throw in the requirement for spot on controller skills and equipment familiarity. It IS and issue. Ask Lex. And while an ILS would not have helped him because he was not equipped, if the Navy was equipped all the NAS would have to do is flip a switch and you have a 24 hour capability.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink- Did controller proficiency play a part in that mishap? Yep. However, I think that the proficiency of a controller that led to a mishap in a foreign-made jet that wasn’t equipped with ILS in super shitty conditions can only provide an emotional argument, not a quantitative one for the topic at hand.

That loss still stings for many. Those of us that were lucky enough to meet him, fight him, or read him will always cherish that.

To those that have reached out via PM, it’s awesome to see that there are folks willing to put in the time to make a difference in a topic that is of concern to them.

Also, @Brett327, don’t exped Gs put ILS in place of ACLS or something similar? Is that transferable to exped USMC jets? FFS, they’re trying to miniaturize an AESA, so why not?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, @Brett327, don’t exped Gs put ILS in place of ACLS or something similar? Is that transferable to exped USMC jets? FFS, they’re trying to miniaturize an AESA, so why not?
They do. I expect as currently implemented that it's a Rhino only thing, and that the Marines aren't willing to retrofit a legacy platform.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Either I'm taking crazy pills, or I remember when I first got to oceana, we had ICLS available for approaches, and possibly even ACLS (not mode 1). Maybe sevenhelmet can comment, it would have been about the time I checked into the squadron and you left for china lake. I also seem to remember there being ICLS available at KNUC when I was doing night FCLPs as a miramar stud.

If true, all of this was in the last 10 years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Same for Whidbey. We had both, but the resources weren’t available to keep them running, apparently.

STOVLer

pilot
Marines have been running IMC training rules for a while- reference the Oct '17 tacnote from MAWTS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does anyone know if the PAR parts are completely funded by CNIC? I would guess they are. In the Jax area, the PARs routinely go down and take a minimum of days to get back up because of parts issues (same across the country, I know). It would be interesting to know the annual CNIC budget to fix GCA gear Navy-wide and what the offset would be compared to what it would cost to fund ILS in fleet aircraft, which at this point, we're pretty much talking about Hornets and Romeos.

I'm sure the aircraft side would still be more expensive initially, but at least there'd be minimal introduction costs since both platforms have an ILS baseline already established.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
We put civilian ILS in Legacy Hornets at Cecil for the Blues mod. It is not difficult or costly. It’s a box and antenna swap. Takes a whole day including the testing and verification with a test set owned by......the Navy. Swapping from civilian to carrier ILS systems is NOT difficult, expensive, time consuming or impossible. Just saying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We put civilian ILS in Legacy Hornets at Cecil for the Blues mod. It is not difficult or costly. It’s a box and antenna swap. Takes a whole day including the testing and verification with a test set owned by......the Navy. Swapping from civilian to carrier ILS systems is NOT difficult, expensive, time consuming or impossible. Just saying.

Individual units, no, but buying enough for the entire fleet adds up. As I've said in previous threads, I'm pro-ILS, but I understand the finite resources available.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This Hornet Rhino Driver wished he had it! (ILS). Great coordination with ATC on a TACAN only equipped Super Hornet...

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Either I'm taking crazy pills, or I remember when I first got to oceana, we had ICLS available for approaches, and possibly even ACLS (not mode 1). Maybe sevenhelmet can comment, it would have been about the time I checked into the squadron and you left for china lake. I also seem to remember there being ICLS available at KNUC when I was doing night FCLPs as a miramar stud.

If true, all of this was in the last 10 years.

Can confirm, both ICLS and ACLS. Prior to the 2011 cruise we even coupled up to ACLS for training at the field, just so every pilot in the squadron knew how to do it. We also had "USS Oceana" nights where everyone would hold at TABUE and shoot a CV-1 approach to the active runway with assigned push times.

It was about as much fun as you are imagining right now.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Can confirm, both ICLS and ACLS. Prior to the 2011 cruise we even coupled up to ACLS for training at the field, just so every pilot in the squadron knew how to do it. We also had "USS Oceana" nights where everyone would hold at TABUE and shoot a CV-1 approach to the active runway with assigned push times.

It was about as much fun as you are imagining right now.

Lemoore had ICLS too, along with its own “boat at the field” procedures that I’ve never heard of used. Did the ICLS get taken down or is it still there?