• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35??

jmcquate

Contributor
From what I've read, administratively they have their shop at Oceana but fall under an Air Force command. Still doesn't explain the N.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like I mentioned - not sure why it was placed under CSFWP - anyone have any insight?
Perhaps future plan is for the West Coast F-35 FRS to be moved to NAS Lemoore, the traditional AIRPAC Navy Attack (VA) & Fighter/Attack (VFA) FRS site since Lemoore opened over 50 years ago. Just a guess.;)
*First tail letter N = AIRPAC A = AIRLANT
BzB

Renegade One

None
Perhaps future plan is for the West Coast F-35 FRS to be moved to NAS Lemoore, the traditional AIRPAC Navy Attack (VA) & Fighter/Attack (VFA) FRS site since Lemoore opened over 50 years ago. Just a guess.;)
BzB
Location aside, nice to see the "Lightning II" FRS picking up the "traditional FIGHTER MODEXs"…e.g., "1XX". ;)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
BzB

Could very well be - from what I understand the Eglin training is just supposed to be introductory to the aircraft. Maybe I'm not reading something right but that would seem to mean another training unit at Oceana and Lemoore?

Renegade One

None
...another training unit at Oceana and Lemoore?
Maybe…in the out years. My money's on "single site" for a long, long time. Eglin to start…again, for a long, long time.
Maybe "single site" (a la Prowlers and Growlers…) for the long haul.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've heard that, for a number of reasons, the F-35 will eventually move to Lemoore vice Oceana. Could be wrong, but that is what I have heard.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
So are they going to be doing all the initial training while they are finishing DT and OT?

We've been doing that in the P-8... It's been interesting.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I've heard that, for a number of reasons, the F-35 will eventually move to Lemoore vice Oceana. Could be wrong, but that is what I have heard.

Interesting.

So are they going to be doing all the initial training while they are finishing DT and OT?

Not sure if I agree with rolling airframes out to the FRS while DT/OT are going on. Not sure I agree with DT/OT at the same time but I guess that's how things work now.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

I love the answer of when the TFR's will be lifted. Well, the first squadron deploys in December... so we hope by then!

statesman

pilot
Interesting.

Not sure if I agree with rolling airframes out to the FRS while DT/OT are going on. Not sure I agree with DT/OT at the same time but I guess that's how things work now.

FRS? HA! We have two fleet squadrons flying aircraft that are still going through DT and OT still.

statesman

pilot
I love the answer of when the TFR's will be lifted. Well, the first squadron deploys in December... so we hope by then!

There will most certainly not be a complete lift of the TFRs prior to December. Maybe some of the field length restrictions, or AOB limits for bouys, etc. OBIGGS? The auto pilot is already being pushed until late 2014 at the earliest.

Renegade One

None
Isn't the F-35 getting the old squadrons back like the F-14?
Doubt there's actually a "policy" or a "long-range plan" that's really been thought out for naming new Lightning II squadrons, but I obviously don't know. Sure, there are probably many more "legacy VF squadrons" whose insignia and traditions could be resurrected if that was a consideration:
VFs 92/96, 191/194, 24, 51, 114, 161, 74, yadda yadda yadda.

But did EVERY former A-6 and A-7 squadron transition to Hornets? I'm sure that some got de-commed just in the drawdown of air wings…and they'd be part of the "resurrection mix" as well, I would think…or should be.

Then there may just be a desire to create totally new squadrons/insignia, etc….kinda like what was done with VFs 1/2 in the early F-14 days, although VF-2 did make a head-nod to some old VF stuff…they didn't bring back the original "Fighting Chiefs" insignia.

So, who knows...