• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35 Nickname?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Except that the JANAP manual lists one unit to which it's officially assigned...
Answer 1: That's the most Air Force answer I've ever heard on this forum. Hiding amogst the regs to defend yourself... oof... Shame on you.

Answer 2: Ah yes. Go ahead and tell the CFACC that a SOF unit can't call their traditional air support a certain callsign because of the JANAP.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Haha you caught me

Aren‘t you retired now though? Isn’t there a base for you to be driving 5-10 below the speed limit on, trying to find the clinic or commissary and holding up all the active duty people trying to get to work?
There sure is! :D

I’m not retired yet though. Still got a year to go in the reserves.

I still put on a G suit and fly upside down for my day job, too. I can even remember what a deck hit means although thankfully I’ll never be on the wrong side of a USN gangplank again.
;)

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
Fair enough. I've no ground to argue. HC-6 beat HS-14 to the punch by 17 years, and I was told HS-14 was named after the football team, which is pretty lame if true.
HS-14 was GREAT people! In fact they "won" foc'sle follies on their last cruise in CAG-5, bringing down the house with a mic drop of a breakup letter read by one of their Senior JOs, a Cristina Ricci look-alike with the spot-on callsign of "Wednesday".
The letter was hung with pride in the Atsugi O-Club, and may or may not have made it down to Iwakuni.

Attachments

• IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2161.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
HS-14 was GREAT people! In fact they "won" foc'sle follies on their last cruise in CAG-5, bringing down the house with a mic drop of a breakup letter read by one of their Senior JOs, a Cristina Ricci look-alike with the spot-on callsign of "Wednesday".
The letter was hung with pride in the Atsugi O-Club, and may or may not have made it down to Iwakuni.
Wednesday is awesome people! My JO LFF was a Fuji day TERF with her. I didn't know about the letter. Thanks for sharing.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I'm guessing this is some kind of capability demonstration? Seems like a very, very minute chance of being needed though.

Oh, also that's a fucking pretty expensive external load.☺️
The King Stallion carried the "inoperable airframe, which was without mission and propulsion systems, outer wings, or additional equipment" from Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Maryland to Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (NAWCAD) Lakehurst some 160 miles to the northeast, according to a caption accompanying the picture seen at the top of this story, which was released yesterday. NAWCAD Lakehurst is situated within Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. What's left of CF-1 will be used for "future emergency recovery systems testing" at its new home in New Jersey, the Navy says.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Ah, makes sense now. I never externally lifted another aircraft, but know some people who did. The HST ground dudes need to know what they're doing as to how they rig the load (control surfaces in particular bc aerodynamically it still wants to fly).

I know some guys that watched a 53-E crew pick an old Iraqi MIG-20 something at Al Asad. The ground crew and the aircrew decided it would be a good idea to pick it up backwards....Well, that MIG still wanted to fly and it started twisting, turning, and swinging. The dudes that described it said they thought they were witnessing a Class-A in progress.😐