• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35 Nickname?

Llarry

Kindly don't shoot the messenger here but I recently heard the F-35C referred to as "The Battle Penguin>" <lol>

Did I just get lost in a dark alley of the internet or is this a thing?

(You do have to admit that the F-35C, with that stealth and all that internal fuel, may not be beauty queen material...)

F-35C VFA-97 approach.jpg

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Fat Amy" is heard alot on our side.
Are they still trying to call it Panther as the “cool” nickname? I remember seeing the 6th WPS dudes wearing Panther Driver patches last time I was in Nellis.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Are they still trying to call it Panther as the “cool” nickname? I remember seeing the 6th WPS dudes wearing Panther Driver patches last time I was in Nellis.
I actually like the name much more the army air corpsish “Lightning.” The Panther had a solid history.

IMG_1767.jpeg

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot

By the AF mainly

Attachments

• 1713923402390.gif
    1713923402390.gif
    880.7 KB · Views: 18

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
This always bothers me here at Pax River, where they use "Lightning" on the radio, even though that callsign is quite officially owned by the mighty Chargers of HS(C)-14.

When I was a student at USNTPS in 2014, we always called it “Chuck Norris”, because the universe apparently bent to its will. The field was regularly shut down for F-35 test ops, and tower/approach would frequently vector aircraft out of its way. As a T-38 flier, I did not enjoy being run low(er) on gas so Chuck, who was behind me, could land first.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This always bothers me here at Pax River, where they use "Lightning" on the radio, even though that callsign is quite officially owned by the mighty Chargers of HS(C)-14.
Also owned by a couple of mighty MQ-9 lines in an AOR not CONUS!

So... In other words... Pretty unoriginal...