• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-15 giving new meaning to high performance T/O & Taxi

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Not as impressive as with a F-15, but we used to do wheelies like that in the Twin Otter all the time. It took finesse to keep the nose in the air while turning on the taxiways.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Sorry, but it needs to be said:

attachment.php
Are you going to make one of those for the A-4?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
So is he going faster than what I'm perceiving on the video? I didn't know you could aerobrake that slow. Pretty sweet regardless.

On a typical lightweight landing at the end of a sortie, we touch down around 150 KCAS and the nose is probably 5 degrees nose high at touchdown. Once the speed bleeds below about 130, the stick comes almost all the way back to the seatpan and the nose goes up to 12-13 degrees of pitch. This is where you have to be careful not to drag the tails, because there is enough stick pitch authority to do it. I can hold that attitude all the way down to about 80 knots indicated...and I bet the demo team pilot can hold it even longer since he's lighter weight.

Remember, those stabs are bigger than a T-38 wing. They're moving a ton of air even at slow speed.

If you look on the vid, you can see the stabs moving ever so slightly to keep that attitude. There is an indication in the HUD for when you are about ready to drag the tails, so it's not too tough to keep the pitch attitude that close like you see in the demo team vid.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Really, I'm not too impressed. Yeh, the F-15 is a great fighter and all, but, save the takeoff, that performance was sub-par for an airshow.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
You guys do much BFM?

Not nearly enough.

Unfortunately as a multirole fighter we have many irons in the fire to practice. Generally we only fly BFM if it is for someone's upgrade (initial mission qual, or flight lead, or instructor) because the rest of the time we're busy flying the other 20 sortie types for those same upgrades!

The clean -229 F-15E really would be a mighty BFMer, we just never (or very rarely) fly them that way. Usually we're out there flying with tanks, CATMs, pods, etc and have the turn performance of a tow truck.