• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye surgery...should I get it and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Ok... HAS ANYONE ON THIS SITE.... gotten PRK within the last 6 months and gotten waivered by NOMI OR NAMI within the last month. USMC OCC applicants... question is more for you. I have read from so many people here that theyve had PRK. My OSO (USMC) has said that NOMI is NOT waivering. That the people here who are getting waivered.. its within the local approval, not by NOMI. He told me to ask if anyone here has gotten WRITTEN approval from NAMI. I have until Tues to decide whether to get PRK and withdraw my application for MC OCS (When/if my OSO gets the thumbs up!). I hope that someone here can give me some info to go fight for getting it done. Please tell me you have gotten waivered by NOMI so I can tell my OSO and get it done!

Hartman

..."local approval"...what the hell is your recruiter talking about? The ONLY agency that can issue a medical waiver is BUPERS; not NOMI, MEPS or anyone else. MEPS and NOMI alike can only recommend you for a waiver, and nothing is ever final until BUPERS gives their stamp of approval. The waiver process is lengthy and usually not complete until after you have reported to OCS. I have a written waiver, but it was not issued by NOMI, it was issued by BUPERS. The point is that just because you have an OCS billet doesn't mean that you can't be NPQ's on day one of OCS because the flight doc finds something he doesn't like about your vision. It's a roll of the dice, man..

Enrique

Hi Every Body ok I have a question it might sound easy but I can't understand the total defenition.

For what I understand, if I fail the PIP test I can do FALANT test and if I pass FALANT I can be a SNA, and be pilot.

I took this from NAMI web side so do I have hopes? becaue I just can't undersatnd what are they saying because, maybe I'm to scare
blindfold_125.gif
to find out.
alien_125.gif

STUDENT NAVAL AVIATOR

COLOR VISION TESTING
The Pseudo-isochromatic Plate (PIP) is now considered the primary testing method for aviation programs. The test should be administered carefully, using a Macbeth lamp for correct lighting color. Plates should be rearranged periodically. Twelve of fourteen (12/14) constitutes a pass; if members fails PIP, FALANT may be administered, with 9/9 considered passing. If one error is made on the first run, 16/18 correct responses is passing. Alternative color test include ISHIHARA color plates 12/14 to pass on a 16 plate test.

haaaa help please say yes I can be a pilot with passing FALANT.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Reaper,
My understanding of the waiver is that as long as there are no complications with the surgery there is no problem getting one. I might be wrong though.

Ben

kevin

ya, hartman is right about that (ha, sounds like cartman-southpark). i didnt get an actual nomi/nami waiver. what i got was an ok from the flight doc that means im medically qualified. now this doesnt mean that i cant be dq'd at ocs, but it's unlikely since ive already passed those tests. the only thing that would happen is that i could get to ocs and they could decide not to give me a prk waiver after all. however, im not sure why they would do that if they gave me an ocs date to begin with, knowing full well that i had prk.

froghead: what i said is still true. the problem is that i have to get a pro rec again after i already got one to begin with. yes, im in a different boat than everyone else (meaning both boards look at me simultaneously now and im not in the big stack of apps) but had i been prk'd well before my pro rec, i wouldve either been given an ocs date or told to go fly a kite. hope that answers your question.

froghead1

Ok, so you got rec'd the first, then got the physical, then PRK, then resubmitted the application? Id that correct? If so, did you resubmit the same application or did they make you change anything?

kevin

not quite. pro rec, prk, physical/prt (old kevin whipped off 105 pu in 60s without being able to see, then ran a 1.5 mile time that a hampster could beat- but i digress), then resubmitted. i didnt make any changes on my app but added 2 more letters (both from prison inmate buds) but that was of my own accord, i didnt have too. now i have to get the pro rec again and then ocs date (hopefully sometime in 2008).

crypto: that sucks royally. the lasik thing is no go right now. but as someone said the army is accepting lasik, and the navy might start a study in the not to distant future (just speculation).

CryptoMarine

Thanks for the websight Daedalus. I did a lot of research on my own but I assumed the best word could come from an actual Navy doctor involved in the application process. You see, this is what happens when your out of active duty for five years, you forget that logic and responcibility don't always travel in a linier fashion in the military. Damn...time to make some nasty phone calls.

froghead1

Thanks Kevin, I am sure I'll think of something else. Hopefully I'll get pro rec'd...and then I'll have to talk my recruiters into allowing me to go for PRK. We'll see if all this pans out. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
EDIT: Removed - some bad info. No need confusing the matter.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Straight from my OSO who has had PRK...they don't remove the outer layer per se in PRK...they "scrub" the epithelial cells from it, hence the 2-5 days of pain in your eyes afterwards...those are the cells that eventually grow back over the eye...I believe they are only part of the flap of which you speak...removing the entire flapping part would be just as bad as flapping to begin with wouldn't it???

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Me too if I'm 185 non-select...what's the worst that can happen now that FY04 has 0 NFO missions ? I'd have to go ground anyway so why not get PRK and go for pilot in OCT...good luck reaper and if you find out you're not selected get it ASAP because the 186 situation could always change in a few months...I saw on USMC.mil that the stop losses have been revoked so attrition should start up again at a normal rate...

pilotwannabe

i want to be a naval aviator. but i am very near sighted with astigmatism?. will that stop me ? can i just wear glasses/contacts? will they let me get prk,lasik or whatever? i just wanted to know befor i enlisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.