• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye surgery...should I get it and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghead1

I am having a tough time getting straight answers from my recruiter, and this is an important issue, so I thought this would be a good place to ask. I know there are some other posts about this topic, but I don't think they are quite the same as mine. Basically, I need to know what you can do to get around poor eyesight. I am currently going through the applcation process, and although I am getting a little ahead, I am concerned that if I get prof req'd for Pilot, I will be ok on everything at MEPS except for eyesight. Should I get PRK now and try to get a waiver at MEPS? Or, should I wait and try to get PRK after I am in. I just don't want to get disgualified at MEPS for only having bad eyesight. Thanks!

kevin

imo, go to your eye doctor and have him screen you asap. it will give you a rough idea of your eyesight (have him do refraction both manifest and cyclopleagic). contact nomi and find out the exact requirements and if you fall short, get it done asap. if you get pro recd for pilot and dont qualify for vision, it's a whole buttload of problems. trust me, i did it.

froghead1

According to my recruiter, he says there are very few waivers being given out for people who have had PRK. He says its better to go through without having it done, and if I don't pass as Pilot, then I would go in as an NFO. Once I was in, I would get the PRK down by a Navy doc and transfer to Pilot. I have heard varying stories on how easy this is, but its what my recruiter claims is the best right now.

kevin

i see what's happening here- your recruiter is trying to fill nfo slots. the waiver thing sounds suspiciously like bs to me. the air force - sorry wink...air farce...oops, chair force- is the only branch i know of that has a maximum quota for prk acceptees for pilot. with navy, and marines i assume, getting a waiver is a matter of whether you qualify for a waiver or not. as long as the prk study is ongoing, there is no percentage that matters. second, dont kid yourself about transferring from nfo to pilot. both are equally important and why would you be sent from one area of expertise to learn a different one when there are plenty of people to select from for the other area as well. is it possible..yes. is it highly unlikely...yes. this would be more likely if they are hurting for pilots. who know when that will happen again. the only thing he said that makes sense is that it's better to go through the process without a waiver. the only reason for this is that waivers are a pain-in-the-butt. no other reason than that.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Yeah, definately sounds like an NFO hunt. My OSO told me that getting a waiver for PRK would be no problem as long as there weren't complications (obviously). I wouldn't accept a slot as NFO if I really wanted pilot because of that very good chance that they would not switch you over, plus I'm pretty sure that "promised" switch isn't going to be in writing. Not to mention people hate doing paper work.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
I doubt there's an NFO hunt being that there's a lot more pilot slots than NFO seats. However, its obviously up to you...depending on your age the longer you wait to apply the less likely you will be selected at all...and if you get PRK and don't meet the specs then you have wasted $3000 to still apply as NFO. I'm applying as an Marine NFO and talked to my OSO yesterday about getting PRK...Basically he said that its a lot more advantageous to simply get into OCS now and then worry about PRK (which the government would then pay for). I totally agree because being a Marine is above all more important than sitting 3 feet more forward in an aircraft, IM0.

DBLang

PLC Candidate
My OSO basically told me the same thing TNWhiskey. I'm planning on getting PRK someday, but I'm only 18 now, and I want to go to Juniors this summer. So I'll wait until after I (hopefully) complete Juniors and then have it. If I can then switch to SNA I'll be happy, if not I'll still be happy going as SNFO.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I feel the same as TNWhiskey & DBLang. I feel that it's more important for me to get accepted into PLC-Combined this summer as SNFO, than having PRK this summer and having to shoot for an OCC class slot as SNA. I'd rather get accepted and have a plan for the next decade of my life than be walking the tight rope praying that I get accepted in an OCC class after I graduate college. All my opinion, of course.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like these guys said, it comes down to what you want you want more - being an officer or being a pilot. If you'd be happy as a NFO then take your recruiter's deal. Don't count on switching later. It can happen but it is NOT very common. If you only want SNA and wouldn't consider any other designator, then get PRK NOW and begin the waiver process ASAP. I think you have to wait at least 6 months after PRK to even apply. They have to make sure you have no complications from the surgery. So you are stuck - pick either Navy (or Marines if you're going for that) or pilot. Only you can decide which is more important.

reapergm

Whiskey, I know youve read my posts on the other board. See, I would go NFO and worry about the PRK later, but Ive been told that all thats available is ground and NA. So I cant even go for NFO again. I didnt get into 184 due to lack of availability. So now if I go ground, I might never have a shot at air. And if I apply NFO, I dont stand a chance. So I think it might be worth it to get the PRK and wait it out for a couple of OCC classes. It wont matter in the long run, when youre in the air. The other comment is on getting PRK after. From everything Ive read and from everyone Ive spoken to... Its almost impossible to lateral transfer once you are in. So be happy with what you get in as, because you have a 90+% chance of staying in that MOS, even if you get PRK inside. Just my .02$ Because you would need to get the PRK before you go to TBS or start any sort of NFO training. They will not train you for NFO then allow you to go back and start again.

kevin

froghead: they just put my app aside since id already been pro recd. then i had to get prk, wait 3 months, then do the medical (which turned out being a full class I), prt, and then resubmit. the reason i could get away with this is that the pro rec board in the new process doesnt have anything to do with medical stuff. from what i understand, my app is now being looked at by the pro rec and ocs boards simultaneously.

froghead1

Thanks Kevin,
I think I am just going to wait and see if I get pro recd. If I do for pilot, then I will try to get PRK then and resubmit. If not, then this worrying doesn't really matter and I will go NFO. Either way, its flying, and a challenge in OCS, which are the main reasons I'm looking at this in the first place.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I really want to fly, so I went and got PRK done. It's about 2 weeks later and I"m seeing great. It's all about priorities. What is it you really want to do? I want to be a pilot, so I"m doing everything in my power to make that happen. I have to wait 3 months to apply, so I have an hourly job while I wait. The surgery wasn't a big deal, except for the money. SO, for me, I say go for it.

Ben

CryptoMarine

I was told that I would need surgery before I applied, then I could qualify to compete for a pilot position. I also think that LASIK is accepted, with waiviers for PRK. I hadWavefront LASIK less then a week ago and I've gone from about 20/500 to 20/15. My vision should stay pretty stable, and the only side effect I have at this point is a little night glare. Give it a few months and it should clear up. I have held off on the application process to have this done and it has given me a bit of extra motivation to study a little harder and run a little faster. If I am going to lay there and let someone cut my eyes open for a shot at becoming a pilot, I'm not going to blow it by trusting my fate to random chance and raw talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.