• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye surgery...should I get it and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yup, I've been told that PRK will be considered standard pretty soon anyway (year or two) since it's been going well. So if I don't make it in time to be selected now, it's really not a big deal.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
For ground too reaper?...how's he figure that?...I'm sorry, but your OSO sounds very imaginative...eye surgery means nothing for a ground pounder. Do what you have to man...you've got good stats so if they want you they'll take you with the PRK waiver...

reapergm

Thanks TN... And I agree with Wildflying too. I figure the "study" has been so successful, it will be approved fully soon. Not only that, but I have called other osos and played dumb, saying I have had PRK and want to fly. A few have said "no problem". So if worse comes to worse, Ill move and go through another oso. Thanks for all the help guys!

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Reaper,
It's not up to the OSO wether you can fly with PRK or not. It's just not his call, he just has to send the wavier paperwork up the chain.

Ben

MMLaser

Hi everyone. I am the clinic manager/surgical coordinator at the Refractive Surgery Center, NMC Portsmouth. Although it's entertaining to read these boards, I am concerned about the misinformation from seemingly 'informed' people about refractive surgery as it relates to naval aviation. I would urge ANYONE who is interested in the surgery itself, the waiver standards, and all of the current correct gouge to contact one of the Navy's Refractive Surgery Centers. There is a lot of appallingly bad info floating around that might have devastating consequences for someone's career path. Thanks.

MMLaser

Originally posted by CryptoMarine
I clarified the LASIK/LASEK issue with the recruiter before I had the surgery. He talked to the person in his shop that deals with medical issues and they said that LASIK with an IK is accepted, not LASEK with an EK. I'll double check first thing tommorrow and tell you what I hear. Cross your fingers.

That is absolutely INCORRECT INFORMATION. LASIK is disqualifying for naval aviators. LASEK is not. I am the clinic manager of the Refractive Surgery Center at Portsmouth. Passing along bad information like this could have terrible consequences for someone's career.

tzec

First of all, great forum! Very informative. I have two questions regarding PRK.
1)My eyes don't meet NFO or SNA requirements as they are now. Do my eyes have to meet NFO/SNA uncorrected requirements BEFORE PRK surgery? Or do my eyes only have to meet corrected requirements AFTER PRK?
2)Can anyone give me more information on the PRK waiver process? From what I gather, I have to wait 3 to 6 months after surgery before getting the waiver. What does that entail exactly? Does that mean I get PRK and then apply 6 months later to OCS hoping my eyesight meets all requirements? Or do I have to get ahold of a waiver before surgery and document everything as it goes?

If anyone can help out, I love you long time... Thanks.

CryptoMarine

Originally posted by MMLaser
Originally posted by CryptoMarine
I clarified the LASIK/LASEK issue with the recruiter before I had the surgery. He talked to the person in his shop that deals with medical issues and they said that LASIK with an IK is accepted, not LASEK with an EK. I'll double check first thing tommorrow and tell you what I hear. Cross your fingers.

That is absolutely INCORRECT INFORMATION. LASIK is disqualifying for naval aviators. LASEK is not. I am the clinic manager of the Refractive Surgery Center at Portsmouth. Passing along bad information like this could have terrible consequences for someone's career.

O.K. Even though the last email I sent to my recruited came back with the usual reassurances, I'm starting to think that I would only find out for sure when I recieved the disqualification papers. Everything I've read has supported what Ive been told by this forum.
banghead_125.gif
LASIK is definitly not accepted for pilot applicants. Any chance I had as a Naval Aviator is gone now. I have a 3.9, perfect PFT, held a Top Secret clearance with 4 years honorable sevice in the Marine Corp., and I'm finishing my pilots license. I think I had a decent shot.
I have plenty of documentation. I was very specific about which surgery I should have. So now what? Will his head roll? Should his head roll? Who makes his head roll? Im open for suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.