• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Explanation of "scroll" process and Timeline of events until receipt of COMDOCs

cargodog

WE (you and I wouldn't) but Iceman would because he and his recruiter and processor, etc. are all on the East Coast. Just like if you had a huge snow storm in Seattle (does that happen?) your recruiting office would likely be closed. I know the processing station that would locally generate my DOCS would be closed for a week at least and the processor would probably find a way to stay out for another :) Make sense? Is that what you were conveying, Ice?

Oh, nooooow I get it! I missed the part where Iceman is on the east coast... I catch up eventually. :) Tough luck, man! 'tis a temporary setback though. At least you know why things are delayed and have a good idea when it'll be resolved.

And yes, we temperate Seattlites DO receive snow storms occasionally. We had our blizzard last year - we had buses hanging off of bridges!

Iceman6291

Well I finally have a good update for everyone. Just heard from my processor that my COMDOCS are in! So I figure that I'll go up to the recruiter's office Tuesday (since that is when the recruiters are back in the office due to the weather/Presidents day holiday) and do the informal ceremony, then I am off to the races! Figured that I would let everyone know that everything is still rolling along...

3912DCO

Well I finally have a good update for everyone. Just heard from my processor that my COMDOCS are in! So I figure that I'll go up to the recruiter's office Tuesday (since that is when the recruiters are back in the office due to the weather/Presidents day holiday) and do the informal ceremony, then I am off to the races! Figured that I would let everyone know that everything is still rolling along...

Congrats and thanks for the update, Ice! That means one more person out of the way so they can get to MY stuff... ;)

Hoping for some warm weather for you guys to melt some of that mess.

SGT2ENS

All,

I don't post much but wanted to check in and give an update, like everyone else who has so kindly posted. 1635 Select, pro-rec'd in September, medically qualified in October and then the wait. Finally, after a glitch in surrendering a foreign passport, I received my January 28 dated FINSEL letter. Hoping to be commissioned in the next week and a half. Finally! Now the next question is, of course, WHAT NOW??? Be interested in hearing from the rest of our cohort as to what their first drills have been like. Charlie, want to start it up?

X

xxxCharliexxx

Sure, one word sums it up nicely. "Paperwork". You do lots of this.

Basically, first thing you want to do is contact your unit. Call your NOSC and they will tell you who your CO and XO are. Just tell them you are a new Officer and need to be directed on who to contact and when the first drill will be for you. They are used to this and will get you all set up. Get contact info for both the XO and CO (of your own unit! This is key as they will give you the XO and CO of the NOSC instead) which the NOSC can provide. Immediately call your unit and tell them the same, you are a new Officer assigned to their unit and wanted to know how you should proceed. They will probably ask you to send them an email with all of your contact information (this is so the Chief can send you a "Welcome aboard" package and get you put on the muster list). So "pen up" an email introducing yourself. Include everything on your FINSEL letter (UIC, rank, name, etc. - they will need all of that and if you can, just scan it in and add it as an attachment as well). Include some basic information about yourself, family (if you have any), address, recruiter's name and location, and what you do for a living. This gives them an idea about you as a person and what they can expect by adding you to their unit. It also sets a friendly and open tone with your unit so they aren't having to guess about who's coming. Also this gives them an opportunity to set you up with a "sponsor"...I was assigned to another ENS that just got finished with NIOBC and DCOIC so he was a world of help.

Your NOSC should also set you up with an INDOC date. Since you are 1635, you will most likely do INDOC (paperwork, ID card, medical, and everything you need to know about being in the military and what certain things apply to you as an officer) for one day at the NOSC and then you will spend your second day off site at your unit (my 1635 unit is separate from the NOSC for security purposes). This should also be explained in the email so get this information during your first phone call. It's important to have your uniform for your first drill. Some going through INDOC didn't, but you are an officer and are expected to present yourself as one. It makes you look prepared and your unit will notice.

Also you want to do a few things during that time as well... get your NMCI account, check with security and check on your clearance progression, get NROWS access, get started with NKO courses that you need to complete, check on fitreps that might be due and see when your first BCA and Eval will be. Make sure you have all of your shots when you go to the NOSC, they can give you any you don't have up to date that day. Make sure you have all of your certs on your CAC card.

That pretty much covers it for now. Exciting stuff. Plan on doing most of this on your "off" time though. I've done most during the week up at my NOSC. Drill weekends can be hectic and busy and things tend to get "overlooked" and "lost". But if you have one on one face time with them during the week, they usually are grateful that you didn't dump it all on them on the drill weekend.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. It moves pretty fast after you commission.

CONGRATS on your FINSEL letter! Let us know when you finally "do the deed". :)

-Charlie

3912DCO

***comforts 3912DCO***

Thanks Charlie. If someone would have told me this time last year, as I sat in Kandahar, with only 3 more weeks left in my deployment, scrambling to get my package together for the March '09 board (that got canceled), that I would be here, simply waiting on my FINSEL and COMDOCs, I would have said..."Huh? What's a FINSEL?" hehehe I am excited to be one of those selected and to be within 3-4 weeks of raising my right hand and swearing in again. B)

Devil Duck

I'm shooting for Friday, or perhaps early next week. I'm traveling for work the first two weeks of March, so I want to check this block as fast as possible.

Iceman6291

Agreed I think that I am going to have mine Friday. Bought the uniform today (ouch, thanks SDB's...) and have the CAPT lined up with the co-workers and family informed. Just need to call and reserve the spot tomorrow, I am hopeful that they have nothing going on since whenever I see it it's never occupied and it's cold outside... That's the formal ceremony. The informal with the recruiter and paperwork is tomorrow.

USAF.Boom

As far as showing up in uniform, when you report to your unit, you should by Navy instruction, wear your SDB's when reporting to a new command. I did, because I knew about it from my time as a corpsman. I received more than one comment about being "squared away" because I showed up in the correct uniform when I reported. For the first indoc day I just wore my khaki's. Remember that your first impression is the most important.

Devil Duck

I'm set up for a brief desk-side swear-in at the Atlanta NOSC this Saturday morning. My recruiter assures me there's a miniature uniform shop on Dobbins. With luck I can pick up least a set of khakis to get me through a drill weekend. Then, it's off to P-cola or Athens for the balance of the DCOIC required uniforms list.

Iceman6291

Duck,

Congrats! As someone that just got through the desk side ceremony I can only tell you that it's quick and dirty, but very effective. Haha just signing the life away and doing the ceremony was interesting and painless, now for the more formal shindig Friday... Anyway, well done and the wait is (finally) almost over. I swear...

Now to sign up for DCOIC. From what I hear and have been seeing it looks like the April classes are either filling up or full up?