• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Executive Order - No Texting while driving...

Lonestar155

is good to go
For one, I believe no one should be "texting while driving." As a motorcycle rider, there is nothing more that gets my blood boiling than seeing a driver doing the "head bob" trying to write a damn text. They have no clue half of the time that I am even riding next to them. Thankfully it is a law that has been implemented here in CA.
Anyways, texting while driving is a huge risk and should be prohibited (in my opinion).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Texting while driving is more dangerous than talking on the phone while driving. At least you keep your eyes on the road when you're talking.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm going to buy stock in this device. I know a good idea when I see it.

Tongue_texting_e.jpg

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
So when I'm in civvies driving to dinner, am I on "official business"? Can I get reimbursed for that? My interpretation of it is, if it's official business, then I should be in a gov-V or reimbursed - i.e. out to Pace RDO or as duty driver. Which ironically means my upcoming PCS will probably be "official business", and I guarantee I will be texting just to stay awake.

Texting while driving is more dangerous than talking on the phone while driving. At least you keep your eyes on the road when you're talking.

As usual, let's ban something because a bunch of novices are dangerous. Why not ban driving, because new drivers suck, too? Most text junkies I know can type without looking on the 9 digit keypad or a blackberry type with hard buttions (I could when I had a blackberry). It's a bit harder without the tactile feedback on the iPhone but I'll hold it up to the wheel so it's in my scan and I'm not heads-down.

It's a useful tool. I typically check weather on the phone before pulling into work in the morning, and I absolutely hate pulling over on base just to take a call. If you have some numbnuts having a chat on text, banning texting isn't going to guarantee their attention's going to be on the road.

Oh and just for fun, a simulation on how much worse you drive when you text. I actually did just as well - maybe it's that instrument scan practice ;)
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/07/19/technology/20090719-driving-game.html

ryan1234

not supporting it... but is texting much different than driving and trying to read a map (or programing your GPS for you high-rollers)... or trying to find that AM station with game on it that doesn't seem to come up with the scan?

I guess texting happens more frequently - why people can't just call others on the phone... but just like car phones... maybe there will be steering wheels with keypads on them and a HUD for reading messages.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As usual, let's ban something because a bunch of novices are dangerous. Why not ban driving, because new drivers suck, too? Most text junkies I know can type without looking on the 9 digit keypad or a blackberry type with hard buttions (I could when I had a blackberry). It's a bit harder without the tactile feedback on the iPhone but I'll hold it up to the wheel so it's in my scan and I'm not heads-down.
I am not supporting the law. My point is that if people believe talking on the phone is dangerous and ought to be illegal, then texting is far worse. Novice or not, it's nearly impossible to send a text message without taking your eyes off the road at some point. In the days of voice dialing and such, the same is not true for calling someone.

FWIW, I don't think talking on the phone while driving should be illegal.

KSUFLY

pilot
No texting on govt business? So does that mean no texting while sitting around the squadron waiting on an a/c to come up?

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I think it's a good idea - as a driver and as an EMT. What is so important that you have to say in a text while driving? (I won't get into how I feel about talking on the cell and driving).

Anyway, when I taught CPR and instructed EMT's, I used this video when teaching Community CPR and First Aid. It's the British Public Service Announcement about texting while driving.

Beware: it's quite graphic

http://connect.jems.com/video/video/show?id=2559935:Video:239558&xgs=1

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Which ironically means my upcoming PCS will probably be "official business", and I guarantee I will be texting just to stay awake.

Advise us all where and when you will be driving when you do this, so I can avoid you while you text to stay awake.

It's a response to the sudden increase in accidents attributed to the distractions caused by texting. If all the novices weren't so dangerous, it probably wouldn't be an issue. Note that the cellphone-in-hand ban has come more slowly... probably because it's not as inherently dangerous.

It's a useful tool. I typically check weather on the phone before pulling into work in the morning, and I absolutely hate pulling over on base just to take a call. If you have some numbnuts having a chat on text, banning texting isn't going to guarantee their attention's going to be on the road.

In the same way that you don't set up your first navaid when you're climbing out at 100', can't you check the weather before you leave home or after you arrive at work? To take a call w/o pulling over, why don't you invest the $30 in a handsfree device? They really are easier than phone-in-hand. I'm just saying that you could solve your self-imposed problems with a little common sense, and then you wouldn't have to worry about those pesky laws, either.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I think it's a good idea - as a driver and as an EMT. What is so important that you have to say in a text while driving? (I won't get into how I feel about talking on the cell and driving).

Anyway, when I taught CPR and instructed EMT's, I used this video when teaching Community CPR and First Aid. It's the British Public Service Announcement about texting while driving.

Beware: it's quite graphic

http://connect.jems.com/video/video/show?id=2559935:Video:239558&xgs=1

+1
Very effective video!

Having been rear ended just a little over a month ago, I wonder if the person behind me was texting or talking on the phone. Traffic stopped on the expressway ahead of me and we all came to a complete stop with no one hitting another, till 10 seconds later I was plowed into from behind, the young lady said she didn't see the stopped traffic. Yeah right...

Here's a picture of the back of my truck, they estimate she hit me at 65+ MPH. The grand total isn't yet in but currently sits at $14,000 in damage to my truck. Her insurance is also paying for the car I was pushed 30 feet into.

DSC_0574.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Oh and just for fun, a simulation on how much worse you drive when you text. I actually did just as well - maybe it's that instrument scan practice ;)
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/07/19/technology/20090719-driving-game.html

We all know someone who swears they drive better drunk too, so why ban that?

Your analogy to an instrument scan is easy to go to, but false. I said the same thing a few years ago. I figured I can talk and fly, tune radios and fly, etc so what can be so hard about it in the car?

Driving on most roads these days is much more akin to form flying. The distance involved (because people follow too close) could be easily equated to almost a parade position. Do you talk when you're flying parade or fiddle with a lot of stuff in the cockpit? Not really. You try and get most of your stuff set up on deck or in cruise position when it's easier. If you're flying close form the most you should ever say is "two" because your only real job is to not kill lead. same thing with driving. you should be driving and not trying to kill everyone else around you.

texting-while-driving.jpg

KBayDog

+1
Very effective video!

Having been rear ended just a little over a month ago, I wonder if the person behind me was texting or talking on the phone. Traffic stopped on the expressway ahead of me and we all came to a complete stop with no one hitting another, till 10 seconds later I was plowed into from behind, the young lady said she didn't see the stopped traffic. Yeah right...

Here's a picture of the back of my truck, they estimate she hit me at 65+ MPH. The grand total isn't yet in but currently sits at $14,000 in damage to my truck. Her insurance is also paying for the car I was pushed 30 feet into.

Would have been $14,002 if he had ruined the AW zap.