• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Executive MBA at NPS - current gouge

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Anyone with current experience with the Executive MBA through Naval Postgrad, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Anyone with current experience with the Executive MBA through Naval Postgrad, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Are you doing the DL program or in-residence program? Either way, it's not very difficult. I knew folks who only had class two days a week and were on the putting greens by 1300. Also, I'm not sure how far an NPS MBA will take you in the civilian world. The selling points of most MBA programs, especially executive MBAs, is the alumni network and reputation of the school. There's a reason that Ivy League MBAs carry so much clout versus the online degree mills most people in the military attend.

nugget81

pilot
Having done the EMBA via distance learning while on my shore tour, I wouldn’t do it again. There are better programs available through the Navy such as FSEP, GEV, and Olmsted.

As mentioned above, the real value of a MBA is the networking that comes with working your diverse and generally higher socio-economic level of classmates, hence the desire to go to a top 10 program. Keep in mind that the value is perishable (roughly two years), and the Navy will ask for three years payback for the NPS program.

If you could do in-residence, that would change the equation some as you’re still making O-3/4 pay to live in Monterey and attend class part time as a grad student. But you can also do that via FSEP at a school of your choosing.

The biggest question is “what is your goal by doing the program?” If it’s to get an added check in the box in a painless and mostly free manner, then this probably is for you. If you want any actual value from your grad degree, I recommend that you seek out alternatives.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Would piggyback on the above - with the caveat that I can’t answer the direct question about the program itself - some of the greatest value one can get from an EMBA is a) the shared experience and wisdom of a broad cross section of folks with a range of experience across a lot of sectors, and b) the prestige and network provided by the alumni base (rightly or wrongly). The EMBA curriculum is already going to be more stripped down, so if it’s the pure pursuit of knowledge you’re after, go full time 2 year program, and the best you can get into.

As an outsider looking in, but also a person who’s made hiring decisions looking at these resumes, I’d think through those lenses as well. Most business schools value applications from veterans, particularly officers and particularly the more competitive tracks- one can sort of write their ticket on that front. If I were in your shoes, I’d take advantage of that. /end unsolicited two cents.

snake020

Contributor
The strength of the MBA is the networking, the diversity in career experiences as @Notanaviator referenced, and the internship rush in your first year of a full time program. I'd look at NPS's and most part-time distance learning MBAs as only good for checking a box for your Navy career.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Having done the EMBA via distance learning while on my shore tour, I wouldn’t do it again. There are better programs available through the Navy such as FSEP, GEV, and Olmsted.

This also assumes these programs are available to you. While not official by any means, CNATRA IPs certainly (are/were) excluded from these programs for the most part. When I applied for GEV with what I thought was a competitive record and a partial scholarship in hand already from the school, my detailer wrote back to me that he spit out his coffee laughing so hard that I applied and explained it wasn't for people "with my kind of record." I asked him to forward my application regardless and it was not accepted. Olmstead, the timing never really worked out and would be difficult to work out for most people who want to stay in the cockpit. I do have a buddy who did VTs into FSEP but he was a double tap #1 EP out of the VTs with a super strong Academic record and was admitted to MIT.

Just when he thought he was out of a disassociated tour, they pulled him out of the FRS (he screened for DH) to go do an IA.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Olmstead, the timing never really worked out and would be difficult to work out for most people who want to stay in the cockpit.
Olmsted is doable for a pilot/nfo who wants to keep flying, but really only during either the disassociated or post-DH tours. The jury is still out on the career impacts on the post-DH folks, as the first group is still in the program.

Anecdotally, the aviator Olmsted Scholars I know have remained on track, but they all had strong records coming into the program (sea/shore #1 or #2 EPs). Three were selected for operational command (one on his second look), and two others are in their DH tours. I’m about to roll into my DH tour, so we’ll see how my timing works out. The fact that I can defer both my O-5 and command looks by a year will certainly help.

From a hard data perspective, OPNAV surveyed 86 recent scholars this year (31 of whom were in aviation) to track career progression post-Olmsted. 11 of the aviators laterally transferred, while the rest are still on track. Overall, the selection/promotion rates of those still in the community were above average.

There are no guarantees with timing for Olmsted, especially because the degree programs vary so widely between countries. Also, your degree could be high quality or next to useless based on the quality of the university.

Regardless, you can’t beat the quality of life and the chance to get an experience that’s about as far from the military norm as possible.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor

Yeah, I meant to say timing for me. With that said, again, my detailer was very much insinuating "well, we have to waive giving you a shore tour for a disassociated tour... you can apply, but I wouldn't expect that waiver... also, O-4 board is next year and since there's no guarantee you won't FOS, we won't endorse it from our office because you could in theory FOS out while on Olmstead, and then what?"

Of course, made O-4 first look (in fairness, it was in question I guess), but frustrating to hear nonetheless.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Do you want a cushy post- retirement/post-separation job where you're a cog in the procurement machine, slowly bringing the next generation of military equipment online or keeping obsolete systems online past their prime, providing poor bang for the buck for the taxpayers' dollars but ensuring jobs programs across multiple electoral districts while also ensuring that every obscure I is dotted and T crossed with your commanding knowledge of the byzantine regulations?

If you answered ‘yes’ then the EMBA may be right for you!

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Thanks for the insights. I managed to talk to a couple of folks who had knowledge of the NPS EMBA - sounded interesting, but I've done something like it already as part of the USN TPS / NPS Systems Engineering Coop program. I'd rather spend the time to network at a higher tier school if I elect to go for another masters; looks like I might have to save my GI Bill after all... I'm not eligible for FSEP or GEV and not interested in Olmsted even if they'd have me.

I'm a O-5 select AEDO so timing means "do my next set of orders line up with my kid's school year or not?"

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Have you considered using TA for a Lean Six Sigma Certification? I did one and it scratched my academic itch for a solid year. I was academically challenged and learned some interesting stuff. I did a Green Belt and Black Belt program that was officially considered a "Master's Certificate."

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Do you want a cushy post- retirement/post-separation job where you're a cog in the procurement machine, slowly bringing the next generation of military equipment online or keeping obsolete systems online past their prime, providing poor bang for the buck for the taxpayers' dollars but ensuring jobs programs across multiple electoral districts while also ensuring that every obscure I is dotted and T crossed with your commanding knowledge of the byzantine regulations?

If you answered ‘yes’ then the EMBA may be right for you!

Well, when you put it like that...

SELRES_AMDO

Personally, I think the EMBA is a joke.

I work in DOD Financial Management and no one in the career field or similar fields cares that you have a E-MBA. In fact, I know more War College Fleet Seminar Grads that are SES and 15s in the Navy's business world (finance, contracts, etc..) than I do NPS E-MBAs.

I'd do it if it was free and didn't require an additional service commitment. They offered it to my office before. No one was interested since you used to have to attend during the work day and then make up your work on your free time.