• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Executive MBA at NPS - current gouge

Pags

N/A
pilot
My understanding is that the NPS EMBA is very focused on how the Naval Enterprise conducts "business" so a lot of emphasis on PPBE, colors of money, how the money goes to the various offices, etc. Essentially going to mentally prepare someone to work at OPNAV and do POM sheets, etc.

Can folks who have done it verify the content? If accurate, that stuff isn't useful in the real business world the same way a real MBA is.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
My understanding is that the NPS EMBA is very focused on how the Naval Enterprise conducts "business" so a lot of emphasis on PPBE, colors of money, how the money goes to the various offices, etc. Essentially going to mentally prepare someone to work at OPNAV and do POM sheets, etc.

Can folks who have done it verify the content? If accurate, that stuff isn't useful in the real business world the same way a real MBA is.

This is how most of the "business" classes are set up at NPS. Hell, most of the Systems Engineering classes were focused on how DoD does things and not necessarily on more esoteric concepts within SE.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is how most of the "business" classes are set up at NPS. Hell, most of the Systems Engineering classes were focused on how DoD does things and not necessarily on more esoteric concepts within SE.
That makes sense from a SysE perspective since NPS kind of functions as the SYSCOM's trade school.

SELRES_AMDO

It is.

The problem is the people who actually do that type of stuff for a living don't view the degree in a favorable way.

So then why would anyone want to do it? You're getting a Navy centric MBA and the players in the Navy's finance/business world think it is nothing more than a check in the box. It won't give you a leg up when you're competing with the people who started doing Navy finance or contracts straight out of college at the major command staffs and now have 15 years of experience.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It is.

The problem is the people who actually do that type of stuff for a living don't view the degree in a favorable way.

So then why would anyone want to do it? You're getting a Navy centric MBA and the players in the Navy's finance/business world think it is nothing more than a check in the box. It won't give you a leg up when you're competing with the people who started doing Navy finance or contracts straight out of college at the major command staffs and now have 15 years of experience.
I imagine the intended audience is career officers so they can go on to be part of an OPNAV type staff and execute the financials at the service/warfare level. For the contracts and BFM folks at the SYSCOMs I can see why it wouldn't be particularly useful. Maybe useful at the PM/IPTL level to help them understand how it works at a high level.