• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europeans trying to influence US election

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Saw this over on another website. A British newspaper (The Guardian) has started a letter writing campaign to Ohio trying to influence the American Presidential Election.

Here is the link: http://guardian.assets.digivault.co.uk/clark_county/

The article starts like this:
The result of the American election in less than three weeks could have huge consequences for the whole world. Yet those of us outside the 50 states have had no say in it. Until now, that is.

There have been a lot of responses, starting with this one:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1329858,00.html

It would be quite humorous if this ended up on the DrudgeReport......

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
46Driver said:
The result of the American election in less than three weeks could have huge consequences for the whole world. Yet those of us outside the 50 states have had no say in it. Until now, that is.

This is coming from a country who's idea to stop rising gun crime, even though their guns are banned already, is to ban replica firearms. The British people are fvcked in the head sometimes.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
And yet their ratio of firearm deaths to population is incredibly lower than the United States'. They're fvcked in the head alright.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
the crime rates have RISEN in Britain and Australia due to their outlawing guns. Of course now the outlaws are the only ones that have guns.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
the crime rates have RISEN in Britain and Australia due to their outlawing guns. Of course now the outlaws are the only ones that have guns.

Don't even bother trying to argue with him. He's a troll, looking to start some sh!t. By the way, love the avatar.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Dude, bite me. What I said was that the ratio of firearm deaths is higher in the US than other nations. You guys brought up the UK and crime rate (there are many contributing factors there). If more guns made people safe, why isn't the US the safest country in the world?
//end threadjack, continue//

rare21

pilot
Contributor
no, you said that the ratio of gun deaths is lower in the UK, thats it. Well most likely thats because there are less guns but the CRIME RATE ITSELF IS UP! Which doesnt make the country any more safer than it was before. You outlaw guns another weapon will take its place. If guns are gone in America there will most likely be more knife deaths in the US than elsewhere in the world. Most likely thats the case in Britain, "now i can rob a guy with my knife or club or stun gun since i know he wont have a gun." The US lives in a gun culture thats the reason we have a large ratio of gun violence. Canada has more or the equal amount of guns as the US but gun vioilence rates are lower. Why? They are not a gun culture. Its simple as that. We were born with it, raised with it, and taught it and there is no way to take it back.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
Most likely thats the case in Britain, "now i can rob a guy with my knife or club or stun gun since i know he wont have a gun." The US lives in a gun culture thats the reason we have a large ratio of gun violence. Canada has more or the equal amount of guns as the US but gun vioilence rates are lower.

You're almost right, except the crime rate is going up with crimes committed WITH guns. Just because you don't let the peasants have guns, doesn't mean the criminals won't find them. The black market for firearms is alive and strong in England.

Why? They are not a gun culture. Its simple as that. We were born with it, raised with it, and taught it and there is no way to take it back.

Actually, people are less familiar with firearms in our culture today than 100 years ago. That's a contributing factor.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyway, back on topic. Did you know there is a provision for the UN to monitor our elections? Yup, that's right. I forget who signed it, Bush 1 or Clinton, but it's there.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My money's on Slick Willie. And Fly Navy, please tell me that is not your cat! :p

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
My money's on Slick Willie. And Fly Navy, please tell me that is not your cat! :p

Haha no it's not. But the RED SOX WIN AGAIN!!!!

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Here is an update:

Letters to Clark County

Ken Loach
Tuesday October 19, 2004
The Guardian

In a bid to give the rest of the world a say in the US election, the Guardian is urging non-Americans to write to voters in Clark County, Ohio, one of the most marginal areas in a key swing state. To receive the name and address of a Clark County voter, visit www.guardian.co.uk/clarkcounty. By last night, more than 14,000 people had requested the name of a voter
Friends,

You have the chance to do the world a favour. Today, your country is reviled across continents as never before.

Because of your president, and some who have preceded him, you are seen as the greatest bully on earth.

You seek to dominate all others by demanding access to all markets on your terms, so that local industries and small farmers go to the wall.

You have supported brutal dictators, like Augusto Pinochet, General Suharto and Saddam Hussein, who, over the years, have murdered and tortured with your administration's approval.

Now you have led an invasion in a country which was not a threat to you. You have broken international law. You have destroyed what vestige of authority the United Nations had left. The British prime minister Tony Blair and your president are seen as liars and war criminals.

Your government has shown its disregard for human rights in Guantanamo Bay. Your soldiers tortured prisoners in Abu Ghraib.

All this has been done in your name, much of it by George W and his cronies.

But many of us know that this does not represent the real America. There is another tradition.

It is in the struggle of the early trades unions, the International Workers of the World, who fought injustice and exploitation. Those who were sacrificed in the Ludlow Massacre. Heroes like Joe Hill and Mother Jones.

It is in the struggle of Americans, black and white, for civil rights for black people led by many brave men and women like Martin Luther King.

It was in the great struggle for independence from Britain - how ironic, now, that the country that led the way against imperialism is now being governed by those who seek to subjugate others - it is in your music, your poetry and those who fought against slavery.

You have a chance to be true to that other America. For all our sakes, kick out the wretched Bush, spokesman for greed and oppression. Show the world you're not taken in by his phoney, folksy grin.

Do the world a favour.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd love for Mr. Ken Loach to take a history lesson on British Imperialism.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
All you mother****ers are gonna pay. You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna **** your mothers while you watch and cry like little *****es. Once we get to Hollywood and find those Miramax ****s who are making that movie, we're gonna make 'em eat our ****, then **** out our ****, then eat their **** which is made up of our **** that we made 'em eat. Then you're all you mother****s are next. Love, Jay and Silent Bob.

That just about sums it up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.