• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Random8145

This is about a year old, but since the U.S. won't sell any Black Hawks to Ukraine, they crowd funded via the Internet and went and bought a privately-owned one:

52822227905_37485a9e67_b.jpg

It is an older model one, built in 1980, but then modified for civilian use by the private firm, and now owned by the Ukrainians who are using it for military purposes again. The pilot says the difference between flying it and the old Soviet designs like the Mi-8 is like the difference between driving a truck and a Maserati. I do wonder why they put that blue-yellow dot on the engine though, makes a nice bullseye it looks like.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This is about a year old, but since the U.S. won't sell any Black Hawks to Ukraine, they crowd funded via the Internet and went and bought a privately-owned one:

52822227905_37485a9e67_b.jpg

It is an older model one, built in 1980, but then modified for civilian use by the private firm, and now owned by the Ukrainians who are using it for military purposes again. The pilot says the difference between flying it and the old Soviet designs like the Mi-8 is like the difference between driving a truck and a Maserati. I do wonder why they put that blue-yellow dot on the engine though, makes a nice bullseye it looks like.
Nice, but one helicopter isn’t going to move the needle much…especially if it doesn’t have a robust support package.

Random8145

Yeah, why mark it with your own country’s colors during a war? It’s not like friendly fire is of any concern.
I understand that, my point was why put the "bullseye" on the engine? Or if putting it there, why not like a Ukrainian flag shape? That dot just looks like a way of saying to the enemy, "Aim here."

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Ahh okay. Interestingly, the chart though uses a tryzub (trident) roundel for Ukraine I see. I Googled and the Ukrainian roundel comes up as the one on the Blackhawk, so maybe they changed it?
Maybe…the chart I posted is dated a bit. I think Iraq has changed theirs.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
He does have a point that maybe we ought to at least stick the roundels on the least critical part of the plane.
I mean, I kind of concur, but the symbols are rather a matter of national pride than identification. We are long past needing a symbol to actually see with the old Mk.1 eyeball. Most (gunpowder and shell) gunners today are going to aim for mass, not any specific part.

GroundPounder

I mean, I kind of concur, but the symbols are rather a matter of national pride than identification. We are long past needing a symbol to actually see with the old Mk.1 eyeball. Most (gunpowder and shell) gunners today are going to aim for mass, not any specific part.
I will have to dig it up, but there was a study concerning shooting at police cars. Apparently, all things being equal, people tend to naturally shoot at the logo as it naturally draws your eye to it.

So where do we sit? Right behind the target.
AP21335763747687-768x512.jpg
copcar.gif
e2b49c86c0fdc01cadfb2d14ac173075.jpg
Kansas-City-Ks-police.png