• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is actually surprising to hear, because the conversations I have with my close bubblehead friends say the Russians produce shit products compared to modern American and European models.

The jist of the article was that they're improving to some point where they will be better than where they are now. I know I'm simplifying it, but that's the basics. My comment didn't have anything to do with comparing it to our hardware, just that their sub technology isn't the equivelent to the Russian army's penchant for driving through Ukranian killzones repeatedly. Instead, since the Cold War, they've constantly improved their tech, and by extension, made themselves quieter (read: "better") over the years.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Wasn’t thinking of Russia’s industrial base but rather their decades of weapons stockpiles. Perhaps it is a question of whose supply runs out first in what is turning out to be old fashioned industrial warfare.

Interesting observation from General (Retired) Mick Ryan of the Australian Army.

“I think the day of crewed attack helicopters, and towed artillery, are coming to an end for reasons due to signatures and the closing of the ‘detection to destruction’ period,”
As a followon to General Ryan’s quote about towed artillery, an article published today:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As a followon to General Ryan’s quote about towed artillery, an article published today:

The army has barely recovered from the “wheels vs tracks” family dispute and now you want to undo 200 years of dragging guns through muck and mud tradition?

All kidding aside, I find it interesting to watch both Russia and Ukraine use their helicopters for high angle fires much like the US did with Aerial Rocket Artillery back in Vietnam.

Random8145

The army has barely recovered from the “wheels vs tracks” family dispute and now you want to undo 200 years of dragging guns through muck and mud tradition?

All kidding aside, I find it interesting to watch both Russia and Ukraine use their helicopters for high angle fires much like the US did with Aerial Rocket Artillery back in Vietnam.
Pardon my cluelessness, but what do you mean about wheels vs tracks with the Army? An argument on whether to replace tracked vehicles with more wheeled?

Random8145

Saw these two contrasting stories this week, with Ukraine getting M1A1's later this year where they will be faced by the feared...T-55!
They also are getting Leopard 2 tanks and some Challengers. Considering the Ukrainians have been blowing the supposedly sophisticated T-90M tanks to smithereens repeatedly and laid waste to the "elite" Russian tank units such as 1st Guards Tank Army and 4th Guards Tank Division, ill-trained Russian "tankers" in T-62 and T-55 tanks vs well-trained Ukrainians in Western tanks is probably going to be like a wolf pack vs a flock of chickens.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Pardon my cluelessness, but what do you mean about wheels vs tracks with the Army? An argument on whether to replace tracked vehicles with more wheeled?
Yes. It was primarily centered around the creation and fielding of the Stryker at the expense of the Bradley. The Stryker can field nearly everything needed in a “lite” form and the armor community hates that idea. It didn’t help that at the time the army was shuttering a few famous armored divisions.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Most economists say the dollar will remain as the unchallenged global reserve currency, but after watching not only the US financially destroy the Russian economy but also Trudeau and Canada weaponize financial institutions against their own citizens, how many nations will start to hedge their economies to prevent similar attacks?

Opinion Foreign exchange

A new world of currency disorder looms​

The Chinese renminbi can be a challenger to the US dollar, but it won’t replace it
MARTIN WOLF
Interesting news from China and Brazil:

It was recently said that since the implosion of the Soviet Union, we have been living in a “Post-War World” but with Covid and Ukraine, it now is starting to feel like a “Pre-War World”

It was recently said that since the implosion of the Soviet Union, we have been living in a “Post-War World” but with Covid and Ukraine, it now is starting to feel like a “Pre-War World”
Interesting. My gut instinct is to say “I don’t like it or BRICS…but I’m too dumb to really understand the short and long term consequences.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Interesting. My gut instinct is to say “I don’t like it or BRICS…but I’m too dumb to really understand the short and long term consequences.

This has been coming for a while, but hard to say what impact it’ll have short-term. Long term is a different story. The dollar has lost 94% of its purchasing power in the last 100 years, and US debt-to-GDP is at an all-time high.

It’s going to be painful. We’ll probably have to rebase our currency at some point- the inertia of Breton Woods is running out.

Last edited:

number9

Contributor

No serious country is going to want to puts in dollars in a currency whose country wields currency controls.

Hard pass.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The problem with BRICS is that it is a dark corner for economically challenged states to do business. China wants to lead it (and who wouldn’t) but China faces her own dept-to-GDP issues while India’s ham-fisted de-monetizing effort has only forced them to lard on more borrowing. Not that long ago Zumba’s South Africa government looted billions from that country and their current growth has stumbled. Effectively BRICS is the international equivalent of poor guys who can’t get credit from a legitimate source, so they go to the guy who knows a guy on the street who gives you some money and then you get to skip the vigorish every now and then by allowing the mob boss to sleep in your living room.

All of this is a long winded way of saying that while @sevenhelmet is right about Breton Woods and the fundamental global economic issues we face but also that BRICS (and especially China) aren’t exactly zooming along. When the music stops (and it will) the impact will be painful for everyone but the US and her allies will weather the storm better than China and India and far better than Brazil, Russia (which is already approaching failed state status) and their “clients.” But, yeah, @Randy Daytona is right…it is starting to feel like a “Pre-War world.”