• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem is that "Russia going to war" was supposed to test a lot of theories that in turn were predicated on them actually being a professional military force and not just a bunch of incompetent, raping, torturing fucks.

Silly us.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Wasn’t thinking of Russia’s industrial base but rather their decades of weapons stockpiles. Perhaps it is a question of whose supply runs out first in what is turning out to be old fashioned industrial warfare.

Interesting observation from General (Retired) Mick Ryan of the Australian Army.

“I think the day of crewed attack helicopters, and towed artillery, are coming to an end for reasons due to signatures and the closing of the ‘detection to destruction’ period,”

You sure it’s not because the way the Russians are flying and fighting both their Helicopters and Fighters is completely incompetent?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You sure it’s not because the way the Russians are flying and fighting both their Helicopters and Fighters is completely incompetent?

If ever there was proof that tactics and training matter (and ignoring them is perilous), this is it.

But hey, "In Russia everything is fine. Especially near nuclear reactor."

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Assuming the attached report is accurate, https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-...mbers-putin-russia-war-losses-ukraine-2022-12, it makes me wonder how long the Russian people will tolerate losses that average out to 10,000 personnel a month. From other reports it looks like the T-72 and T-80 tank models are simply dogs and I wonder what conclusions the US army is finding when they look at Russian helicopter losses. This really isn’t what anyone expected.

Another way to look at it…Russian losses noted are twice the number of U.S. personnel killed in combat in WWI.

I would be a little wary of relying on those 'casualty' figures as they likely include quite a few folks who were 'wounded' by whatever definition whoever is doing the reporting, coupled with the likely cluster that is the Russian reporting system of who exactly is a 'casualty'. A more definitive number would be their KIA, but even that I would take with a grain of salt right now from any source.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If ever there was proof that tactics and training matter (and ignoring them is perilous), this is it.

I think there are examples of Russian competence on the individual level but institutionally and nationally they have proven they are grossly unprepared for modern warfare and weapons to a large degree.

Now WaPo is reporting that JDAM kits are inbound to Ukraine. The question is how they’re hanging Mk 80-series bomb bodies on Ukrainian jets. ?
Or at least how they're mounting JDAM kits on FSU bomb bodies?

They figured out how to hang HARMs off UAF jets, it'll be the targeting that'll be the interesting part.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be a little wary of relying on those 'casualty' figures as they likely include quite a few folks who were 'wounded' by whatever definition whoever is doing the reporting, coupled with the likely cluster that is the Russian reporting system of who exactly is a 'casualty'. A more definitive number would be their KIA, but even that I would take with a grain of salt right now from any source.
True, but the greater issue is that this will hopefully be a wakeup call for everyone who thought that post-Desert Storm, we’d never see this level of industrial-scale warfare again.

That’s important because of how American society might react to that level of casualties, along with the impact to that military industrial base we thought we wouldn’t need anymore.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I think there are examples of Russian competence on the individual level but institutionally and nationally they have proven they are grossly unprepared for modern warfare and weapons to a large degree.

They figured out how to hang HARMs off UAF jets, it'll be the targeting that'll be the interesting part.

Using FSU jets and GLONASS-enabled nav systems perhaps?

Oh, the irony.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Using FSU jets and GLONASS-enabled nav systems perhaps?

Oh, the irony.
It’s incredible to watch this shift happening in real time. Up to this February, UKR was basically all legacy Soviet gear, MiG-29, Su-27, SA-10/20/17, T-64s etc.

And now assuming things go well, in 10 years, it looks like they’re going to be fully Westernized. Patriot, HARM, NASAMS, JDAM, M777/HIMARS, and Leopard 2 are already inbound in open source literature, and people are making noises about what particular Western jets they need to end up with, be it F-16, Gripen, or something else.

GroundPounder

That’s basically the equivalent of five-plus full divisions’ worth of casualties. Imagine the reaction if we went to war in the Pacific and then 25th ID, the 11th Airborne, 1st MarDiv, and the 82nd Airborne all ceased to exist.
Imagine another Battle of the Somme. I don't think we could muster public opinion to suffer such casualties if we were faced with the 2nd coming of Hitler. The US lost about 300,000 in all of WW2, the British lost around 100K after a few months of the mechanized death at The Somme.

Last edited:

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Carefully, I would imagine...

9ff4748e-8dd6-4d85-940a-2f57788c0408_text.gif

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The problem is that "Russia going to war" was supposed to test a lot of theories that in turn were predicated on them actually being a professional military force and not just a bunch of incompetent, raping, torturing fucks.
I'll see your bafoon Russian forces and raise you the Chinese.