• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, FFS. We're changing your user name to Chicken Little.
Probably more appropriate to say that the EU bureaucrats may need to address reform issues to meet the desires of me member countries. They failed to meet the desires of the U.K. and they have voted to exit. It's interesting that even though the vote was 52/48 that a majority of the remain vote was staunchly in support of reform of the EU that Cameron wasn't able to make happen.

UK won't have difficulty restoring the bureaucracy that the EU was performing for them. It's a first world nation and one of the worlds financial capitals. It was before joining the EU and will still be there afterwards. Prognosis that the US will rapidly hammer out a revised trade agreement with the U.K. When it becomes needed that will be favorable for both countries.

This has more to do with governance and sovereignty than the globalism movement of trade agreements. All the discussion on here about this will hurt the US etc, have you read any of the FTAs lately? Spend some time on those pages and pick a commodity and see how it's structures. In many cases you still have quite a few barriers to trade. In many cases the trade agreements favor first world countries reaping raw resources from underdeveloped countries while giving them reduced or nonexistent barriers to get raw or partly finished products to market.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe you weren't paying attention but Trump several times said that he thought that the UK should leave the EU.

Apples and Oranges. Trump on a few business channels answering a few questions is nowhere near the same as President Obama going to London, standing shoulder to shoulder with Cameron and threatening the British people they would move to the back of the line for trade agreements if they decided to vote to place their national sovereignty ahead of the EU.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apples and Oranges. Trump on a few business channels answering a few questions is nowhere near the same as President Obama going to London, standing shoulder to shoulder with Cameron and threatening the British people they would move to the back of the line for trade agreements if they decided to vote to place their national sovereignty ahead of the EU.

Yeah, I guess Trump was too busy talking about how awesome his new golf course in Scotland is.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It has already undermined the the current European alliance structure and could lasting damage to it than just the UK extiting the EU. A weakened and divided Europe doesn't really help us with Russia, the Middle East and other problems we face. If they have to spend more money to exit the EU, to make up for increased trade barriers and other stuff, that means less money for the military of one of closest allies.

So yeah, it could hurt us too.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/25/europes-loss-is-natos-gain/

An independent Britain could be a benefit to NATO and the U.S. according to Admiral Stavridis

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still not even coming close, as summarized by your own post.
We get it. You think the UK is fucked because ignorant country bumpkins decided they preferred their own countrymen, including their politicians, setting national policy and spending their taxes. I gave you an anaology. It just doesn't suggest your dooms day scenario. I never said the Yugo and Czech breakup was the same. Can't. No nation has left the EU before. But countries have desolved, and reunited, forcing similar structural, policy and cultural problems. That makes them analogous. You can't change the English language.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Britain existed just fine before the EEC/Maastricht treaty. She will continue just as swimmingly.

Anyone smart enough to short things (in the short term), made some money. Otherwise, life goes on.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i would dispute the idea that the UK did just fine before it joined the EEC. They joined in 1973, after spending almost 30 years lurching from one recession to another. Companies - hell, entire business fields - have never existed in the UK outside of it. For a lot of them, their entire business model assumed free access to the European market and the saved costs that went with it. The pound sterling remained a valuable currency because it was outside the Euro but had access to the Eurozone. All of Britain's resurgence these last few decades as a financial and tech center was facilitated by being an EU member. The 'divorce' analogy keeps getting tossed around due to the deep entanglements and I think it's apt. Sort of like the guy who dumps his wealthy wife whose family helped him start and run his business. I just don't see what the UK gains from leaving the EU, compared to what it's losing.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
^That is a fucking stupid data point to base an argument on. For all we know it could have been 500,000 10 years olds looking that up on google. Ignorant electorates are not exclusive to any democracy. Additionally being ignorant is also relative, I pride myself on knowing a few things about Defense and Foreign policy but generally speaking I couldn't go into the same detail on other issues like Medicaid except when I ask my grandparents to educate me on it.

Just because a bunch of people (who we really don't know the demographics of anyways) google the consequences of leaving the EU doesn't mean they don't know what's best for the UK. We all know what the smell of bullshit smells like...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Coming in November 2016, "What happens if Trump gets elected?"
Having alienated all the Democrats, and a significant fraction of the GOP, he's stuck in the White House unable to get anything through Congress. And the American public gets a valuable civics lesson on checks and balances. How's he going to build that wall when Congress won't fund it?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Having alienated all the Democrats, and a significant fraction of the GOP, he's stuck in the White House unable to get anything through Congress. And the American public gets a valuable civics lesson on checks and balances. How's he going to build that wall when Congress won't fund it?
Haven't you heard? Mexico is going to pay for it.

The CNN show "GPS" today was really good, not only concerning Brexit but the change in western politics from left/right to globalist/nationalist.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And the American public gets a valuable civics lesson on checks and balances.
A lesson they will promptly forget as soon as the next story about the Kardashians is featured as breaking news on CNN. Most people have zero understanding of how their government works. It's sad, and unfortunate, but it's a fact.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lesson they will promptly forget as soon as the next story about the Kardashians is featured as breaking news on CNN. Most people have zero understanding of how their government works. It's sad, and unfortunate, but it's a fact.

Since our government was designed and built as a service agency - deliver the mail, guard the coasts, regulate how many rat turds are allowed in my burrito - I'm not distressed that a lot of the public doesn't know or care how it works, any more than they do how their UPS gets delivered or Whoppers get made. I think there's definitely merit in knowing how the government works...there's also merit in understanding the sciences and knowing history...but if it doesn't really matter to Americans who's in office, that means the government's working as designed - in the background, without disturbing their lives. As opposed to some places where who wins an election determines if you starve or get dragged out of bed by secret police in the middle of the night.

What pisses me off is when elected officials start fucking with those basic functions - like passing a budget - just to make political points.

Renegade One

None
If too many countries break away from the EU, wouldn't the ones that don't already float (like the UK) run the risk of sinking into the ocean? They seem pretty heavy with all those mountains and stuff… :rolleyes:

Also, what logo will the European team use for the Ryder Cup now?!?