• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If Putin is successful in Ukraine, to whatever degree, the Baltics are next.

The Baltics know that what is going on in Ukraine is existential for them.
I think that’s a bad assumption, given the inevitable NATO response. Putin has already been unsuccessful in UKR… military objectives not accomplished, own forces decimated, NATO galvanized, Finland and Sweden almost certainly will join NATO. That’s a strategic disaster for Putin, even if he holds on to Donbas. The idea that he will somehow interpret this as an incentive to take even greater risk in a direct confrontation with NATO is a fairly absurd proposition.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
And we all thought World War Z would be against zombies…I think it reads “Go Russia!”

D9EEDA1A-9D1A-42AA-824F-D8924D6BED1A.jpeg

taxi1

pilot
Putin has already been unsuccessful in UKR
It ain’t over yet.

I think he’s willing to go as far as it takes, destroying cities and mass slaughter of civilians, until he is flat-out stopped. It’s what the Russian military is good at.

I’ll follow the Baltic countries’ lead on this one. They’re not acting like countries that are as assured of their safety as you suggest. For that matter, same with Finland and Sweden. Lots of worry for people that have nothing to worry about.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It ain’t over yet.

I think he’s willing to go as far as it takes, destroying cities and mass slaughter of civilians, until he is flat-out stopped. It’s what the Russian military is good at.

I’ll follow the Baltic countries’ lead on this one. They’re not acting like countries that are as assured of their safety as you suggest. For that matter, same with Finland and Sweden. Lots of worry for people that have nothing to worry about.
Please be reasonable. You seem to be taking a position contrary to the facts on the ground, as a bad faith argument for Western escalation. Putin is doing a great job of marking time on his own dick while wearing soccer cleats without direct NATO involvement. He doesn’t have the capability to confront NATO with a conventional force. That the Baltics, FIN and SWE are “ready” doesn’t constitute I&W of a RUS attack. On the contrary, that readiness deters escalation.

taxi1

pilot
You seem to be taking a position contrary to the facts on the ground, as a bad faith argument for Western escalation.
Russia's initial tactics were a failure. They seem to have played to Ukraine's strengths in tactics and terrain.

Their new tactics of just lobbing artillery and ballistic missiles at civilians, laying waste to as much of Ukraine as possible to make it as unlivable as possible for anybody, including themselves but especially the Ukrainians, has yet to be proven a failure. That is to be determined. I think Russia can outlast Ukraine in a grind-it-out, turn-it-into-a-wasteland conflict. The war's not even on their own turf.

Is there any question Ukraine outperformed everyone's expectations? Now is not the time to get cocky and think it is a done deal. It hangs in the balance.

JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Russia's initial tactics were a failure. They seem to have played to Ukraine's strengths in tactics and terrain.

Their new tactics of just lobbing artillery and ballistic missiles at civilians, laying waste to as much of Ukraine as possible to make it as unlivable as possible for anybody, including themselves but especially the Ukrainians, has yet to be proven a failure. That is to be determined. I think Russia can outlast Ukraine in a grind-it-out, turn-it-into-a-wasteland conflict. The war's not even on their own turf.

Is there any question Ukraine outperformed everyone's expectations? Now is not the time to get cocky and think it is a done deal. It hangs in the balance.

JMHO, YMMV, etc.
Ukraine isn't going to win... but Russia has already lost.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish they knew it.

So what's your prediction of what happens now? Russia is obviously not quitting, just shifting gears.
That Russia will not invade a NATO member state. That major hostilities cease at some point and Russia likely maintains control of Crimea and Donbas, but Ukraine persists as a nation more or less status quo ante bellum. That Russia settles into its new role as pariah state for a very long time.

Random8145

Poland and the Baltic states are supporting Ukraine in order to keep the Russians pushed back. I think they rightly assess Putin won't survive a military defeat in Ukraine, so they're doing what they can to assure his destruction, ideally without starting WWIII.

But fighting a proxy war (and I agree with that part of your premise) is a VERY different prospect than taking NATO head-on. You fight a proxy war to fight the war you wouldn't fight directly. So, in a world of escalations, that would be a doozy, with a strong chance of nuclear involvement. Based on what I've seen in the public domain, Russia hasn't increased it's conscription rate, so it doesn't yet appear Putin is undergoing a major military buildup for a follow-on campaign. If anything, his military is weaker than before, and now the world knows it. So the loss-of-face and wounded beast arguments, I can understand. But even if Putin gains territory in Ukraine out of this, I don't believe he'd risk his own existence on the Baltics or Poland.

My prediction right now is that this will drag on for some time, at great cost to Ukraine, and resource distribution (mainly food and fuel) in Europe and Asia will suffer. Russia will eventually gain territory in Eastern Ukraine, but at a high price, and be done militarily for a while as they lick their wounds and try to salvage what's left of their economy. Putin will remain in power until he dies, and resume his not-so-shadowy game of discrediting the West and supplying our enemies at every opportunity.

All based on what (I think) is known today. If Putin, or the West, get even more irrational, all my bets are off.
How is the West being in any way irrational right now? How is Putin being irrational? He is just trying to save face, otherwise his invasion of Ukraine seemed very rational to me, based on what he "thought" were his military's capabilities and what he "thought" would be the response from the Ukrainians. The only irrationality I see is the weakness that elements of the West have displayed.

Last edited:

Random8145

Or it could be the very rational concern that war may actually escalate beyond Ukraine.

Just an observation, but it seems at least some western euro leaders want to leave open a way out for Putin to save some face and possibly de-escalate the war, and eventually keep the war limited to the Donbas. That may be perceived as appeasement or timidity, but it seems perhaps some euro leaders believe if they can just run the Russian army out of conventional steam, let Putin consolidate and declare a limited victory and wind up the broader war, then all the better.

I don't agree with that strategy, but I don't know shit. And this war has certainly taken a toll on the Russian conventional army that will take a long time to recover.
I don't think that concern is rational and think that any such strategy would only lead to further aggression in the future.

Random8145

The thing is, we don't have to use force. This doesn't have to involve America. It's a war between Russia and Ukraine. YOU have to use force. This has very little to do with America. Does Canada have to use force? How about Brazil? Australia? Why must American soldiers and treasure be spent every time some asshole wants to pick a fight with anyone else?

Should we help out when and where we can? Sure. But dont act like we have some duty or responsibility to protect Ukraine from it's neighbor. Europe has been willingly making Russia stronger for years while not paying for its own defense, and now it's looking for help from US tax payers and soldiers once again for an explicitly European crisis.
Regarding Ukraine, I'd say we actually do have a responsibility to try and protect Ukraine. The reason is because control of Ukraine is key to a stronger Russia and serving as a basing point to then try and take the Baltics and further expand the Russian empire at a future date. So it's a short-term cost to prevent a longer-term possible war.

Last edited:

Random8145

Yep, we should definitely act in our own interest, just need to make sure we have the expanded view of what that is.

He needs to save face in order for this to end. Give him some territory.

But then tolerate no more meddling in elections, social media, etc., etc. Not our friends, don't act like they are. Treat them like pariahs. Let Russia wither away demographically. The long game.
Disagree here. Allowing him to save face will show weakness and just allow him to play the long game and then try again at some point. I do not believe the West would treat them like pariahs for long. Look at Europe's eagerness to trade with Iran or turn a blind eye to China. Give it some time and the Euros would go soft again. So instead, give Ukraine what it needs to drive him straight out of Ukraine altogether.

Random8145

THIS, people...THIS.

Fuck "prevail". Nuclear combat with the Russians needs to be avoided AT ANY COST YOU CAN IMAGINE, up to and including that Ukraine goes back to the "new" SSR.

Just IMHO, of course...
IMO that wouldn't work, because then Putin/Russia could threaten nuclear combat all the way to the Atlantic coast of Europe. It sounds contradictory perhaps, but basically there has to be the perception by the enemy of some willingness to engage, if necessary, in nuclear war, in order to prevent it from happening in the first place. Reagan's much more aggressive stance against the Russians in the 80s is part of what backed them down then.

Remember also what Reagan said: "Now let's set the record straight. There's no argument over the choice between peace and war. But there's only one guaranteed way you can have peace, and you can have it in the next second: Surrender."