• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Thanks a lot, I'm trying. During last night the Ukranian assault infantry battalion pushed Russian troops in control of airport Gastomel over the fence and into the forest. Russians are 45th Army Airborne SOF Brigade specialized in airstrip seizure, about 200 men that landed yesterday, retreated in small groups spreading over landscape, carrying dead and wounded. Professionals, to their part. But airport freed and is now in control of Ukranian troops. Small victory but good start.

But Chernobyl plant is completely captured by Russians. Any thoughts what for? Nuclear intimidation?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Heard Ukrainian forces re-took one of the airfields today/tonight. Also lots of imagery of random Soviet hardware in ruin. Rumor of a Ukrainian MiG-29 ace made today. Columns of Russian vehicles ambushed and laid to waste. Maybe Putin is getting surprised?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Heard Ukrainian forces re-took one of the airfields today/tonight
Yeah, Gastomel cargo hub. Ukranian Su-24s did bomb the field and then after sundown infantry stormed. Russians lost four egressing Mi-8s in the air by a pair of Ukranian MiG-29s and one Ka-52 hit by RPG aground

Attachments

• IMG-20220224-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220224-WA0012.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20220224-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20220224-WA0013.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 28

Random8145

So I am curious, but should the U.S. supply Ukraine with weapons and small arms to fight back against the Russians? I know some have been sent but I mean a serious amount. Or is there concern that they would just fall into Russian hands? I am not talking about sending stuff we absolutely wouldn't want the Russians to capture, like tanks and helicopters and so forth, I mean like anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons, and rifles, machine guns, grenades, etc...stuff for an insurgency.

Also, why hit Russia with only mild sanctions? Why not major sanctions from the get-go? The idea of, "We'll hit him with light sanctions right now, it's only if he tries to take all of Ukraine that we'll hit him with the hardcore stuff," just seems weak to me. Putin needs a royal bitch slap IMO, as that will further deter him from trying to expand beyond Ukraine if successful in taking it over. The idea that immediate hard sanctions would inspire further aggression from him I think is wrong-headed. It shows fear to someone like him, IMO. That if he tries aggression, the West acts timidly. Of course just my opinion.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Thanks a lot, I'm trying. During last night the Ukranian assault infantry battalion pushed Russian troops in control of airport Gastomel over the fence and into the forest. Russians are 45th Army Airborne SOF Brigade specialized in airstrip seizure, about 200 men that landed yesterday, retreated in small groups spreading over landscape, carrying dead and wounded. Professionals, to their part. But airport freed and is now in control of Ukranian troops. Small victory but good start.

But Chernobyl plant is completely captured by Russians. Any thoughts what for? Nuclear intimidation?
My feeling is that they want to use the plant as a propaganda tool to embarrass Ukraine. They will see it as a prop to tell the world that the “incapable government of Ukraine is allowing nuclear waste to pollute the world and only Russia can save it…” Stay safe @Max the Mad Russian and keep reporting.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Apparently they aren’t…

…A day time air assault into defended territory with questionable fire support. Sounds like a shitty plan.
True…the approach speeds of the Hip troop carriers was high and comically slow. I’m surprised they didn’t see more drop.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Are you suggesting that Belarus is going to take military action against a NATO member nation?

The gap from the Carpathian mountains to the Baltic Sea accesses the European heartland to the much larger Asian mainland - with the only barriers being rivers such as the Vistula which bisects Poland. These bloodlands have been some of the most contested geography for centuries. When? 3 years, 3 decades - but history suggests the strategic location of the Northern European Plain will be in perpetual conflict.

In related news, Poland just placed an order for 250 US Abrams tanks.

$6 billion tank deal to Poland cleared by State Department​

By Jen Judson
Friday, Feb 18

And because I like maps, here is a map of the constantly changing borders (and populations) of Europe over the centuries. Another map showing the physical features of Europe.

1645795448876.png

Also, why hit Russia with only mild sanctions? Why not major sanctions from the get-go? The idea of, "We'll hit him with light sanctions right now, it's only if he tries to take all of Ukraine that we'll hit him with the hardcore stuff," just seems weak to me. Putin needs a royal bitch slap IMO, as that will further deter him from trying to expand beyond Ukraine if successful in taking it over. The idea that immediate hard sanctions would inspire further aggression from him I think is wrong-headed. It shows fear to someone like him, IMO. That if he tries aggression, the West acts timidly. Of course just my opinion.
You don't "bitch slap" someone with 6,000 nuclear warheads.

As for hard sanctions, Russia is the world's biggest producers of oil and natural gas - you take that off the market and Europe freezes. Likewise, Russia is the world's biggest exporter of wheat (Ukraine is 4th) and the world will see famine, compounded by the fact that Russia is one of the largest exporters of ammonia which is the basis of nitrogen fertilizer - again, famine. This doesn't take into account other minerals such as coal and rare earth metals needed for modern economies. Finally, the political ramifications of hard sanctions will drive inflation, already at a 40 year high, even higher. This is not something that the ruling parties with upcoming elections want (In addition to US midterms, there is an election in France this year.)

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
You don't "bitch slap" someone with 6,000 nuclear warheads.

As for hard sanctions, Russia is the world's biggest producers of oil and natural gas - you take that off the market and Europe freezes. Likewise, Russia is the world's biggest exporter of wheat (Ukraine is 4th) and the world will see famine, compounded by the fact that Russia is one of the largest exporters of ammonia which is the basis of nitrogen fertilizer - again, famine. This doesn't take into account other minerals such as coal and rare earth metals needed for modern economies. Finally, the political ramifications of hard sanctions will drive inflation, already at a 40 year high, even higher. This is not something that the ruling parties with upcoming elections want (In addition to US midterms, there is an election in France this year.)
While I agree with the energy issue, the wheat and ammonia export numbers are a bit disingenuous…North America as a whole beats out Russia. Throw in NATO and you make Russia’s wheat export is not that critical (also keep in mind that we in the US pay farmers not to grow to manage the market). Egypt and Turkey buys the most wheat from Russia but could find it elsewhere. As for the nukes…after yesterday Russia is either going to use them or lose them when this is all over.