• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Et Tu, Petraeus?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not disagreeing, but ethics are rules and laws applied to morals.

So, cheating on your wife is unethical in the military because it's against the UCMJ. For a civilian it's immoral since there is no law against it.
Says you. Clearly you didn't attend the recent NWC ethics conference.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Jill Kelley death spiral continues:

"A New York businessman told the AP Wednesday that after he met Kelley at the Republican National Convention in August, she told him she would be in a position to help broker a billion-dollar deal directly with the president of South Korea and wanted a two-percent commission in return - a multi-million-dollar payday. But T.J. Kim, a spokesperson for the South Korean Embassy in Washington, laughed today when he learned of Kelley's alleged claim of access."

People like this give the human race a bad reputation. I hope she ODs on Xanex.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just heard Kelly refered to as "Ambassador of party hats and balloons" by a FNC anchor.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
That death spiral link... just... wow. If you've been in for any length of time you've seen some interesting spousal shit, but... I can't even

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Well, this whole mess just reinforces my old man's advice "Never fvck anyone crazier than yourself".

Too bad Petraeus wasn't privy to that advice.

BigRed389

None
I suppose it's good you qualified harmless in quotation marks. There really is no such thing as harmless adultery unless you're in some type of open marriage. A myopic focus on the matter of material/substantive damage to national security is not really warranted. Is it too much to ask our leaders to do the right thing? Even when it's difficult? That's what we're supposed to do.

Didn't have the time to write up a good response for this. Fortunately, somebody else did a better job: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...39442e-2cf4-11e2-a99d-5c4203af7b7a_story.html

Granted, written without the full story and I'm not commenting on this particular situation when we don't have all the facts, but the general sentiments on separating personal and professional life are what I agree with.

SkywardET

Contrarian
Granted, written without the full story and I'm not commenting on this particular situation when we don't have all the facts, but the general sentiments on separating personal and professional life are what I agree with.
It's easy to say that we should keep our personal and professional lives separate, and I actually wish I could agree with you on that. The problem is that it is fundamentally impossible in practice. Your personal and your professional life intersect through your body and mind. That's why things like the Fleet and Family Support Center exist. It's why your dependents get access to TRICARE. It's a large part of why the S exists in the IMSAFE checklist. The list of examples is long, but the bottom line is that your personal life gets all kinds of support and attention from Big Navy and DoD because they recognize the reality that we are not robots that can suddenly switch on our humanity when we come home. Our personal and professional lives are intertwined and interrelated.

And so it is with integrity, I would argue. We are told over and over and over and over that we represent the military, represent the Navy (or other service, since I suspect that all get the same spiel), represent our country, and that we are Officers 24/7. Perhaps all these briefs are new? I don't know, I've only been in for 8 years and only very recently as an Officer. I don't know what type of repetitive GMTs made GEN Petraeus' eyes glaze over repeatedly, but I can't imagine that his generation is so far removed from mine that all of the sudden we started expecting Officers to do the right thing at all times and he was never expected to do the same.

KBayDog

It's easy to say that we should keep our personal and professional lives separate...words words words...

Oh%20yeah.gif