• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Et Tu, Petraeus?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Never heard it used outside of IFS and Primary. Usually "any ORM issues?" suffices.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I like to use the mnemonic "here's a straw so you can suck it the fuck up. we're going flying," but that's just a technique.

phrogpilot73

I like to use the mnemonic "here's a straw so you can suck it the fuck up. we're going flying," but that's just a technique.
I usually go with "ORM Issues? No big deal, just sit on your hands and tune the radios - and don't touch the fucking radios." Yours works too.

Renegade One

None
I don't know, I've only been in for 8 years and only very recently as an Officer. I don't know what type of repetitive GMTs made GEN Petraeus' eyes glaze over repeatedly, but I can't imagine that his generation is so far removed from mine that all of the sudden we started expecting Officers to do the right thing at all times and he was never expected to do the same.
Trust me...you've been in quite long enough. Commissioned time has nothing to do with it. You clearly know the rules.

Sadly, I think more senior types assume the mentality that is some poly-morph of the following:"I can do/get away with this...I deserve this...I can keep it quiet...I'm smart enough to keep it on the down-low". All evidence to the contrary...in the information age, especially.

I'm not advocating a return to the "older, gentler time" when the MacArthurs and the Eisenhowers (and shall I say it?...the Roosevelts and the Kennedys?) of the world were viewed as "too valuable to lose over this". I just note that there WAS such a time, which has long-since passed.

I have no answer as to why this is such an irresistible temptation, other than to credit biology and genetics (not insignificant motivators, to be sure)...only a sadness that it is still so, and continues to strip us of great people who were lost to us before their potential service to the nation was completed.

But..rules are rules. No one should know better than they who make the rules.