• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eric Cooper: Navy SEAL, F-14 pilot, POSER Bigamist

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call it the metro-sexualization of aviation.

BeavisButthead-711924.jpg

heee heeee, he said "metro-sexualization"......

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I'm an NFO, nerd is part of the job description to make up for the distinct lack of brains in the flight station (up front, you dumbasses):D

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Wings?... You do know what site you're on right?...;)
my mistake, I was tired when typing. SWO pin or Aviator wings....
I never meant to imply that being a phony was just as hard (or harder)as becoming an Aviator, but used that as a way of describing the great lengths these people go to be who they are not. Maybe it was a poor example. Obviously becoming an Aviator (or any Officer or Enlisted for that matter) is a difficult career path that only few can succeed in. While anyone can go to their neighborhood surplus store and buy a uniform and then get a haircut to strut the streets looking for tail after watching some war movie, these people go to greater lengths to prove that they are who they are not for larger reasons (psychological?)then just getting laid. I did not mean to offend.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...The dedication, sacrifice, hard work, and committment that aviators must possess virtually every day is far more than the average joe can take. I consider this a flaw that many guys have, because they are humble and self-deprecating despite the cliche of the super cocky aviator.

I've told this to countless upgraders and students alike. Call it the metro-sexualization of aviation. After being around a while, nuggets and even some jo's fall into this mentality of average-ness. It's bullshit, avaitors are kickass, the general envy of just about everyone, and we work really hard to wake up every morning and wear our wings.

Not so much a disagreement as a different perspective:

I dunno, I think the humility and sense of humor shown by 99% of aviation types (and most military personnel in general) is a huge asset and an admirable trait.

Approachability, being open to and professional about critique, a willingness to learn new tricks (even as an old dog), and the ability to laugh with each other at our own foibles makes a high stress occupation that much more bearable. In an increasingly "Office Space" environment, with more and more administrative rules and requirements being forced down our throats, we need to be able laugh and keep the big picture in sight.

We all know that the stereotypical 1% that Hollywood loves to promote is always in reality the douchebag no one likes, and more often than not, nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Averageness? I think we just get used to people getting things done quickly and correctly. Compared to a lot of other work environments, things happen in a much more efficient manner and (in comparison relatively) huge decisions get made by very junior people. When you see that day in and day out it's easy to get accustomed to.

The norm; "average" to us, is "above and beyond" in any other career sector. Hozer is right, it's important to remember that.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I would much rather be an average naval aviator than an above average insurance salesman.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I would much rather be an average naval aviator than an above average insurance salesman.

I once too thought that a prevailing atmosphere of averageness permeated my squadron and environment. Now that I'm a civilian, I can tell you that you will never find the drive to succeed, collaborate and be perfect more than in Naval Aviation. We were always striving to be better and learn from our mistakes. In the real world, many are happy just sitting in their cubicles doing the same things in the same way over and over. I feel above average almost every day, and trust me, I was an average aviator.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
dunno, I think the humility and sense of humor shown by 99% of aviation types (and most military personnel in general) is a huge asset and an admirable trait.

My only problem is when humility and self-deprecation affects assertiveness and confidence. It becomes the dominate trait.
Confident aviators and douchebags are two seperate things.