• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eric Cooper: Navy SEAL, F-14 pilot, POSER Bigamist

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
but SEALs always look like bad ass mofo's (because they are), ...

I've seen about 50/50 as far as looking "bad ass." The det we had with us on one float was full of weightlifting enthusiasts, and definitely looked like the movie image of SEALS. The second det I worked a bit with looked mostly like average joes. The LT OIC looked like stereotypical middle-aged dad (he had serious prior E service time), a little bit pear-shaped, mustache, etc. He could out run about anyone, but didn't have the cliche "look." The onsies and twosies I've encountered since have run the gamut. They definitely didn't look like the dirtbag impersonator in the article, though.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Michael J Jacobus, F-14 Pilot imposter

This guy lives in PCola according to press coverage. That's where he was finally arrested after telling tall tales (in a flightsuit wearing TPS patches) about how he ejected at 600 kts on the deck flying a Brit Tornado on exchange duty with RAF Boscombe Down. He showed up at PCola, Cecil, Oceana, Pax River and Marietta masquerating as a F-14 pilot. In Pensacola, he claimed to be working on a display for the museum and borrowed official records from aviators from which he constructed his own NATOPS jacket. He bluffed his way into Base Pass & ID and got officer stickers for his car and an ID for himself. Over the decade he was actively impersonating a pilot, he even promoted himself keeping pace with aviators he met at various Officer's Clubs and airshows. He learned the lingo and fooled a great deal of experienced aviators penetrating their closeknit circles of friendship by dropping names of aviators he had met and even passing messages. He routinely posed for pictures of Navy aircraft and sent them to friends and aviators using his credentials for flightline access. He even parked his vintage Porsche (bought with funds bilked form a girlfriend) in front of a VF-31 Tomcat at an airshow and had it blow-up to impress friends. He posed in front of a TPS T-38 and added official symbols to make himself look authentic. Although he claims his motive was an ego boost and to impress his family who regarded him as a "Blacksheep", besides getting marrried in Choker Whites, he stole over $50,000 from an Ohio girlfriend.

jacobus.jpg

Although he did time for impersonating an officer, he's been reportedly witnessed making claims to have been in Pentagon on 9/11 and flow in OEF.

He got a lot of attention especially after being caught, but probably not the kind he wanted:

Top Gun impostor Michael Jacobus is sentenced for theft
20 Aug, 1994

Michael Jacobus is found guilty of grand theft; jury says he pocketed woman's investments
17 Aug, 1994

Naval pilot impostor, Michael Jacobus, fights theft charge
16 Aug, 1994

Michael J Jacobus, top gun imposter, not only duped the Navy, but he allegedly swindled a handful of lovers
Jun, 1994

Pseudo-sailor Michael Jacobus to be tried on theft charge in Ohio
25 Mar, 1994

Phony naval pilot, Michael J Jacobus, breeds anger in Pensacola, Fla, known as the cradle of Naval aviation
13 Mar, 1994

Ohio court is the next stop for naval officer impostor, Michael J Jacobus-il
Plain Dealer 12 Mar, 1994

Phony naval pilot, Michael J Jacobus, admits to charge of impersonation
21 Dec, 1993

Phony pilot Michael Jacobus traveled carefully charted course
12 Dec, 1993

Michael Jacobus, 38, posed as Navy officer for the past decade; befriended women, two from area
03 Dec, 1993

Sailor suit fooled Navy, kin, friends; Michael Jacobus faces Federal trial for impersonating officer
02 Dec, 1993

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I've seen about 50/50 as far as looking "bad ass." The det we had with us on one float was full of weightlifting enthusiasts, and definitely looked like the movie image of SEALS. The second det I worked a bit with looked mostly like average joes. The LT OIC looked like stereotypical middle-aged dad (he had serious prior E service time), a little bit pear-shaped, mustache, etc. He could out run about anyone, but didn't have the cliche "look." The onsies and twosies I've encountered since have run the gamut. They definitely didn't look like the dirtbag impersonator in the article, though.

I know a couple of SEALs and none of them have that "yoked" look, but they all pretty much have that "in shape, pretty boy" look. Was beginning to wonder if the frat guy look was becoming the norm for SEALs. ;)

I laugh when I remember that news article about the haggard appearence of SF operators in Afganistan.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
FLYTPAY said:
You cannot go from SEAL officer to pilot or pilot to SEAL.

Is this a rule set in stone or just a virtual impossibility? Because I believe there may be a very junior VFA guy that is redesignating to EOD or SPECWAR from the east coast... I could be wrong though, as I heard it from one of his squadron mates.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
JD,
The guy at Vacne is the Seal from El-Cid...he went enlisted from the Citadel to BUDS...not sure how he got his commission then became a pilot
I wanna say he is a 95 grad or somewhere's about.

He is a T-6 guy so I never flew with him.

Is he a skinny black guy? If so, I ran into him when he was in Primary when I was going through flight school the second time. I didn't know him that well at school, I think he was 95 so a year ahead, but we recognized each other at FloraBama and threw a few back that night and I talked to him periodically over the next few months. He was pretty low key at school and was not hard core at all, senior private I think. Definitely a pretty decent guy though but I never would have pegged him as a SEAL, it goes to show you that you never know.......;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This guy lives in PCola according to press coverage. That's where he was finally arrested after telling tall tales (in a flightsuit wearing TPS patches) about how he ejected at 600 kts on the deck flying a Brit Tornado on exchange duty with RAF Boscombe Down. He showed up at PCola, Cecil, Oceana, Pax River and Marietta masquerating as a F-14 pilot. In Pensacola, he claimed to be working on a display for the museum and borrowed official records from aviators from which he constructed his own NATOPS jacket. He bluffed his way into Base Pass & ID and got officer stickers for his car and an ID for himself. Over the decade he was actively impersonating a pilot, he even promoted himself keeping pace with aviators he met at various Officer's Clubs and airshows. He learned the lingo and fooled a great deal of experienced aviators penetrating their closeknit circles of friendship by dropping names of aviators he had met and even passing messages. He routinely posed for pictures of Navy aircraft and sent them to friends and aviators using his credentials for flightline access. He even parked his vintage Porsche (bought with funds bilked form a girlfriend) in front of a VF-31 Tomcat at an airshow and had it blow-up to impress friends. He posed in front of a TPS T-38 and added official symbols to make himself look authentic. Although he claims his motive was an ego boost and to impress his family who regarded him as a "Blacksheep", besides getting marrried in Choker Whites, he stole over $50,000 from an Ohio girlfriend.

jacobus.jpg

Although he did time for impersonating an officer, he's been reportedly witnessed making claims to have been in Pentagon on 9/11 and flow in OEF.

He got a lot of attention especially after being caught, but probably not the kind he wanted:

Top Gun impostor Michael Jacobus is sentenced for theft
20 Aug, 1994

Michael Jacobus is found guilty of grand theft; jury says he pocketed woman's investments
17 Aug, 1994

Naval pilot impostor, Michael Jacobus, fights theft charge
16 Aug, 1994

Michael J Jacobus, top gun imposter, not only duped the Navy, but he allegedly swindled a handful of lovers
Jun, 1994

Pseudo-sailor Michael Jacobus to be tried on theft charge in Ohio
25 Mar, 1994

Phony naval pilot, Michael J Jacobus, breeds anger in Pensacola, Fla, known as the cradle of Naval aviation
13 Mar, 1994

Ohio court is the next stop for naval officer impostor, Michael J Jacobus-il
Plain Dealer 12 Mar, 1994

Phony naval pilot, Michael J Jacobus, admits to charge of impersonation
21 Dec, 1993

Phony pilot Michael Jacobus traveled carefully charted course
12 Dec, 1993

Michael Jacobus, 38, posed as Navy officer for the past decade; befriended women, two from area
03 Dec, 1993

Sailor suit fooled Navy, kin, friends; Michael Jacobus faces Federal trial for impersonating officer
02 Dec, 1993

This dude was staying at the BOQ, at the every end of the building, same side when I was there in 93. Saw him a few times and one of the officers followed him around like a puppy, telling us of all his tales. Later on, we found out who he was. The guy had a military ID, had orders!!! written. He was a serious loser. So now, the likes of Shitterman and Faghatter get to join.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Its seems these guys put more work into being phony then trying to just be the real thing.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Its seems these guys put more work into being phony then trying to just be the real thing.

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't it be easier to become a pilot than to try and dupe all those people? Either he is real messed in the head or there has got to be some type of gain (monetary or what have you) that he is making.

I wonder how he managed to get an ID card and papers et all on his own. Could he fake a security clearance/background check and get his hands on something really important to someone else?

We have guys like this running around (and these guys are like roaches, if you see one there are probably 20 more sitting around somewhere) and yet the gate guards harass me one day this week because I am a NAF employee and I am driving my father's truck with his AF officer decals on it while my car was getting inspected. grr.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Well, it is safe to say that they are messed in the head. It would be more logical to become any Officer and then tell the girls you're this or that. They probably couldn't tell the difference between a SWO pin and Aviator pin (or whatever pin you have). At least then you're telling a smaller lie to get some action and not committing a felony.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how he managed to get an ID card and papers et all on his own.

He wasn't the only or first person to bluff his way into Pass & ID and walk out with an ID card although the advent of computers have made that considerably more difficult. There was a pastor in Hampton Roads area that made the papers because he had been promoted to general in the Army Reserves. IIRC, he had been promoting himself for years and had a uniform, sticker on his car and an ID card. When he felt he was in zone for general, he marched in and got his ID card bluffing his way yet again. He got caught because his strutting around got notice of press and whne someone in Chaplain Corps saw coverage, they knew he wasn't on the promotion list and decided to look into it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Is this a rule set in stone or just a virtual impossibility? Because I believe there may be a very junior VFA guy that is redesignating to EOD or SPECWAR from the east coast... I could be wrong though, as I heard it from one of his squadron mates.

Probably a virtual impossibility. The SPECWAR Community states LTs aren't eligible for lat xfer in the community (too senior). Aviation typically won't let you lat transfer until your commitment is up.

Also, SPECWAR isn't letting anyone lateral out at the moment either.

For an example, go to electronic page six of this past lateral transfer boards quota letter.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyre...-C4679F22EF9D/0/2007JUNTransRedesQuotaLtr.pdf

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor

Your premise is that it's harder to be phony. I disagree.
The dedication, sacrifice, hard work, and committment that aviators must possess virtually every day is far more than the average joe can take.
I consider this a flaw that many guys have, because they are humble and self-deprecating despite the cliche of the super cocky aviator.

I've told this to countless upgraders and students alike. Call it the metro-sexualization of aviation. After being around a while, nuggets and even some jo's fall into this mentality of average-ness.
It's bullshit, avaitors are kickass, the general envy of just about everyone, and we work really hard to wake up every morning and wear our wings.
Every time I pin those fuckers on my uniform, I think of all the shit I had to and have to go through to earn the right to wear my wings every day.

The last thing I'll add to this rant is that the phonies are going to spring up everywhere in the coming years so be on the lookout.
End rant.
BT
NNNN