• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlistment to Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

I think any prior service will be a feather in your hat, especially if you can get some good LOR's out of the deal. As far as the ASTB stuff it's pretty much the same they are looking for an AQR of 6 and a PFAR of 7. And flight time is definately a plus. Of course remember that this is just what they are saying they are looking for (also a gpa of 3.2) those are not the minimums so perhaps someone could squeak by being on the minimums?

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Harmony Boy

DDriver,
My friend Gresh (E-5, enlisted like me) is finishing up his package for OCS. Having just finished his Officer Interviews (something enlisted applicants have to do that civilians don't), he got a lot of insight into what looks good, etc. Flight time looks very good; LOR from an active-duty naval aviator almost essential; warfare pin very good. As far as test scores and GPA they follow the same reqs but as far as the numbers that ghost and others say they are LOOKING for, they seem to be more lenient when it comes to enlisted applicants. Of course evals should be top notch (all EP's preferable) and PRT at least some type of GOOD. As far as deployments/ship time, I don't know...more than likely the experience will simply help you in your officer interviews. I know they asked both Gresh and me a lot about the idea of being deployed for a good percentage of your career, etc. It helps to have that exprerience to give it perspective.

I just now realized that you may not still be active duty, in which case, a lot of this does not necessarily apply. I apologize. Well, let me know if this helps or if you have questions that I can help you answer.

James

DDriver

Ghost and Harmony Dude,

Thanks, I am still active E-5 Corpsman with a few months left on my enlistment. I was about to submit my college application - planning to complete my degree (CS) "outside" and then apply. STA-21 is very competitive (I heard). Now I felt bad for not finishing my warfare pin requirements while in the gulf last year. My ASTB: AOR=43, AQR=4, PFAR=5, PBI=6, shameful[:D]...I am going to have to repeat the test. Anyways, goodluck to you guys

Godbless

ActiveCal

I am currently active duty going to SLU, and I will be done next year (Thank God). Do you guys recommend putting in my package early?

I heard SWO is difficult to get in to. Do you believe prior e's my have a better chance for SWO? I will have a BA in Technical Management, with 6 years of marine engineering experience.

R,
ActiveCal

Harmony Boy

ActiveCal,
I don't think you can submit a package prior to getting your degree, however, I would get everything else done prior to that. ASTB, LORs, security background check, have your 1420 filled out. With the officer interviews I don't know if they'd let you do them prior to receiving your degree, but I'd say it's a definite possibility...look into it. Same with your CO's endorsement. Typically, he'll/she'll want to do that last, based on the strength of the package. I think I'm forgetting something about the package...I'll post later if I remember.

As far as enlisted OCS applicants vs civilian OCS applicants, yes, in my experience (take it for what it's worth) and everyone I've talked to say that enlisted have the advantage overall, to include almost any designator. If you have your ESWS, I'm sure that will place you ahead of almost any civilian SWO candidate.

Just my two cents!

James

ActiveCal

Thanks,
That's good information. I don't have the best eyes in the world, however, I would like to get behind the wheel of a Sea Hawk! I am considering lazer eye surgery. How would that effect my chances?

R,
ActiveCal

DDriver

Anyone here got selected for this years STA-21?
I think there were about 40 for pilots and about 50 NFO's..

WFU2USN

Cal,

I don't know if being on active duty makes a difference. But I was still in school & a drilling reservist when I put in my OCS Package - so, no degree at the time, and got it.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

IS2(SCW)

ActiveCal

WFU2USN,

Thanks for the info bro, I will look into that for a later date. I thought I would be done by this summer, but do to the most recent events across the pond, I was recalled to the front. I don't have many classes left. I might have to finnish it later. We'll see.

WFU2USN

SCW = Seabee Combat Warfare

It's pretty funny when I went to Dam Neck, VA for IS "A" School (the 2-week reserve version) I had several SN's and below look at me as if I were wearing the wrong thing. I'd get "What's that?"

IS2(SCW)

Status
Not open for further replies.