• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlistment to Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thpage

Hey,

Is is possible to go from, say, an enlisted musician to OCS for NA?

I was seriously considering applying for OCS for NA straight out of college (May 2003), but I've been working toward a music career most of my life; I'd hate to waste all that time before even giving that a shot. Now I'm thinking about enlisting as a musician, and maybe applying for OCS once my service is up.

I'm just curious if changing areas like that happens very often, or if the Navy would rather keep a guy in the area for which he's already been trained. Do you think that kind of thing would keep me from ever being accepted to OCS for NA later.

Thanks for any time and information,
Alan

Hudson

Alan,
There are a lot of musicians in each branch. I don't think the navy would not let you switch to ocs if you qualified for it. They are probably more likely to reward you for your good service. As far as giving up on your training as a musician. You don't have to stop playing because you are doing something else. If accepted I plan on still performing once I finish the primary training and I can find time to practice. There are always local community bands, orchestras, as well as jazz bands and combos around to play with. Just have to look a little. The question is what do you feel comfortable waiting for. Your shot at flying or performing.

kaiangel

This is just my opinion, but I think all of those people who enlist with 4 year degrees are insane. The life and pay of a junior enlisted sailor is nothing to get excited about.

Tessone

Very true. You'll get paid much better and in general have a better lifestyle if you just go to OCS and play in your free time.

On the other hand, if you really are set on enlisting as a musician first, you can always go to OCS after your enlistment is up--keep in mind that "needs of the Navy" will not always allow your plans to play out as you'd like.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Goliath112

you don't have to finish your enlistment to apply for ocs. you can apply from within. direct accession to OCS or Seaman to Admiral STA-21.

man the wait is killing me

AZSkegee

Well call me insane, I have a 4 year degree and enlisted, and I do not regret it. I wouldnt recomend the military is for every either officer or enlisted but if you are a hard working person with some good standards of conduct then by all means go for it. But there are many people like me who went in enlistment and have degrees in the fleet so are we insane? I feel they may come out ahead than most people because they understand the side of both worlds.

Tessone

Originally posted by Goliath112
you don't have to finish your enlistment to apply for ocs. you can apply from within. direct accession to OCS or Seaman to Admiral STA-21.

I realize that. I don't know why someone brings this up everytime I caution someone wanting to go the enlisted route.

The point is that while you do not have to finish your enlistment to do Seaman to Admiral, you might not get in. That's always subject to needs of the Navy. Maybe the chance is 95% for a given person, but you always have to be prepared that something may happen.

--
Chris Tessone

dewahl

I realize that. I don't know why someone brings this up everytime I caution someone wanting to go the enlisted route.

Tessone,
Everytime YOU caution someone???? From where do you derive the knowledge to caution someone from going enlisted? Is there there some taboo to being enlisted? Given there may be some lifestyle diffs, but better is in the eye of the beholder.
There are several othere ways other than Seaman to Admiral also. Whether you are flippin burgers, chuggin beers in a frat house, or serving enlisted, The apps are all looked at in the "whole person" aspect. If you are qualified you will be selected. The point in all this is to follow your dreams.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Being enlisted was the most fun I have ever had. Don't regret it one bit and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Becoming an officer after being enlisted also gives you a leg up on a lot of things. For example, boot camp officers have to worry about being away from home for the first time, getting their sea legs and coping with everyday military stress. That is something prior enlisted officers don't have to worry about, which makes it a less stressful and a more cohesive work environment. The way I see it, you can't lead until you learn how to follow and being a prior is a great way to learn that trait.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Tessone

Originally posted by dewahl
Tessone,
Everytime YOU caution someone???? From where do you derive the knowledge to caution someone from going enlisted? Is there there some taboo to being enlisted? Given there may be some lifestyle diffs, but better is in the eye of the beholder.

Whoa, calm down. I didn't say anything about better or worse, and I have nothing against people who enlist; in fact, I respect them a great deal. However, I've heard too many stories from people who decided something was "a sure thing" or heard they were a shoe-in for OCS from their recruiter, but got burned in the end.

Go enlisted if you want. Apply for Seaman to Admiral if you want. But no matter how qualified you are, "needs of the Navy" might make things way more competitive by the time you can apply to the program (as opposed to applying to OCS now). It could be significantly less competitive. So no, it isn't true that "if you are qualified, you will be selected", as the standards change from board to board depending on many factors.

--
Chris Tessone

cuculeis

from personal experience, i must say that it tends to be easier for enlisted members to get accepted to OCS than the general civilian. one being, your letter of recommendations will come from military officers 2.)the board tends to weigh OAR scores more heavily on civilians than they do for the enlisted member for they have nothing to else to really evaluate civilians on. and 3.) report dates for OCS classes are generally a lot sooner than those not on active duty. for example, i applied on the 5 of sep, was accepted on the 9 of sep (4 day turnaround) and my class date is the 26 of oct 2002. whereas, those who are not active duty, even if they do get accepted are getting report dates sometime on 2003. they have reserved slots for active duty members...not too mention a running log of evals are a good way of measuring the individuals work standards...food for thought

4thpage

Thanks for all the great information so far. Please keep it coming.

So a person can enter OCS for anything, regardless of his enlisted duty?

Thanks again,
Alan

Harmony Boy

In everything I've heard from OCS applicants both civilian and enlisted, the boards treat the enlisted a little more favorably (i.e. not as high OAR required, GPA req not as stringent, especially in the case where your enlisted service record can speak for itself). One major difference from the civilian and enlisted OCS application process is the enlisted go through an officer interview board and are also required to have an endorsement from their CO. That being said, I think if one is locked on as an enlisted, it is easier to show that to the OCS board because almost everything they see will be in navy lingo and format AND they are probably considered more reliable.

And, for the record, I wouldn't trade my enlisted career for anything. The experiences I've had will keep me smiling in my old age, and a lot of them have been things I couldn't or wouldn't have done if I had been an officer. Alan, being a Navy musician really does rule. I've traveled the world playing music, sang for crowds of over 100,000, and been treated like a rock star...AND I GET PAID TO DO IT!!! If music is what you want to do the Navy is one the best places to go. Anyway, I'll stop rambling now.

Just my $0.02

James

Status
Not open for further replies.