• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisting with a Bachelor's Degree

OscarMyers

None
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a Bachelor's degree and want to enlist in the Navy (I am aware of the opportunity to apply to OCS and become an officer with my degree however, I am not ready for that level of commitment and responsibility just yet that officers must perform) I still want to join the Navy but was wondering if the Navy would take into account my degree and give me a higher rank than the other enlistees? Would they make me an E-3 for example or would I still remain an E-1, despite my bachelors degree? Serious answers only please. Thanks!

I did ten years enlisted before I commissioned in 2012. Apply for OCS. No matter where you start, Enlisted or Officer, you’ll be in over your head and clueless. Everyone is. But that’s okay. That’s why we train, that’s why we have Department heads and Chiefs (they mentor junior enlisted and junior officers).

There’s no doubt most Officer training is much more challenging and self paced than Enlisted, and hopefully that’s where your degree program Taught you those time management skills. So self doubt aside, by enlisting you’ll also be leaving a lot of money and quality of life on the table. Go look at a pay chart and see the difference. Now if you’re trying to go SEAL, enlisting might be the stronger move.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I meant serious answers only as in no joking around because in the past when i have posted on here at times people tend to waste my time by commenting silly things.

You have a lot of great and non-joking responses in your thread. Also understand, many who may respond here ARE in (or were in) the Naval Aviation realm and even if they post answers that may seem silly ( and sometimes they may seem silly, but they aren't...it's the business that's that silly), these are the people that you would be working with in whatever rate/NEC/designator you may be interested in.

As others have already asked, what do you want to do/what are you interested in doing in the Navy. Until you answer that, the answers will only be slightly less than silly (and probably worse).

ed_98

Then you do know AW. I certainly do not know what you thought "wasting your time" in threads I never saw. But most times folks thinking their time is being wasted by an "unserious" post are simply missing the message. Glad your time has not been wasted so far.

I can't disagree with any of the above. It is worth pointing out that some people just want to do a specific job that is not to be found in the officer corps. Leading the sailors in the engine shop is not the same as turning wrenches. On the other hand, the officer leading those sailors is flying as a pilot or NFO, something the enlisted can't do. Then there are very specialized jobs where even the officers in charge are usually prior enlisted who became LDOs or Warrants. ACs come to mind or whatever they call air traffic controllers now.

" the officer leading those sailors is flying as a pilot or NFO "
Is that for real? I sort of knew that if you go SNA not everything will be flying but I didn't know you could be in the engine room too! Won't you also need to go to nuke school for that?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Is that for real? I sort of knew that if you go SNA not everything will be flying but I didn't know you could be in the engine room too! Won't you also need to go to nuke school for that?
He did not mean the officer in the engine room specifically, he meant in general.

But a carrier CO is either a NA or NFO so it is a true statement.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
OP, you have good information here, especially from prior enlisted people. I started out as an enlisted Marine (earned my degree while in the ranks) but if you have the education then use it. The Navy will teach you the basics of leadership and you will likely adapt quickly to the demands placed on you. I too recommend OCS.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL was right as it applies to aviators in ships company on a CV. But what I had in mind was an O2 or O3 who is a squadron maintenance division or branch officer. That's why I wrote "engine shop". That would be where the aircraft engine mechanics ( used to be called ADs, don't know now) work and hang out.

RoarkJr.

I did about 8 enlisted in the Corps as an AE equivalent (avionics). I was 20, turned 21 in PCola. It was okay for me, didn’t have any college and needed the experience. But if you already have the degree and you’re a quarter century years old…recommend OCS. I think it’s a good thing you were honest with yourself about why you didn’t want to go Officer but, as said before, you’ll have training, mentors, and will get pushed in the right direction and do things you may not have thought you were capable of. You may also find it incredibly rewarding.

Apply for OCS.

I think it would be helpful to inform our responses if the OP could offer more specificity. What about being an officer do you not think you're ready for? Depending on designator, your time commitment as on officer or enlisted could be the same. If it's the responsibility you're worried about, I would say that enlisted also have a lot of important responsibilities. If you enlist into an aviation rate, people's lives will be in your hands. As others have stated, enlisted life can certainly be rewarding. That said, as an enlisted Sailor, during those first four years you'll be paid about 50% of what an officer makes. Your base pay for an E3 will be about $24K at first. You will work longer hours, oftentimes in poor conditions (heat/cold/dirty/greasy/jet fuel soaked). You will have to live on base in a small barracks room you share with a roommate. When you deploy, you'll be in a berthing space with 60-90 of your closest friends. You will have significantly less personal freedom to live life outside of work.

Just trying to paint a realistic picture for you about enlisted life. The differences are stark. IMO, if you want to serve in the Navy, and you're qualified to be an officer, then you should pursue a commission.
Thank you for this info. I think I'm more afraid of the long term commitment that Officers in aviation must do. I was told that if I want to become a Naval Flight Officer its at least a 6-8 year commitment, whereas enlistees in an aviation rate it is much less than that. Is that true? At the end of the day, I think I might be doubting my abilities and need to have more confidence in myself because the officer route does seem like a better life in the military than an enlistee. I am taking the ASTB end of August (this will be my second time, the first time I was 2 points too low) so I will see how I do then.

I did about 8 enlisted in the Corps as an AE equivalent (avionics). I was 20, turned 21 in PCola. It was okay for me, didn’t have any college and needed the experience. But if you already have the degree and you’re a quarter century years old…recommend OCS. I think it’s a good thing you were honest with yourself about why you didn’t want to go Officer but, as said before, you’ll have training, mentors, and will get pushed in the right direction and do things you may not have thought you were capable of. You may also find it incredibly rewarding.

Apply for OCS.
Thank you for this

As someone who originally enlisted into the Army with a Bachelors, PLEASE consider the Officer route. It took my six years of an enlisted contract and recently going through the Navy's DCO process to rectify my mistake.

There are a ton of intelligent, capable enlisted folk across the branches. But I think you'll be doing a disservice to yourself, your degree, and your abilities if you just use your degree to pick up your E3. You'll gain responsibility the second you enlist. Make your responsibilities better suited and better poised for future opportunities.
Thank you for this info... You're right. I am taking the ASTB again in August for OCS.

Fwiw, O1s and O2s have little to no real responsibility. If you're a SWO your responsibility as an O1 or O2 will peak at standing OOD and as long as you look outside, don't hit anything, and call the CO/XO a lot to pester them about drunk fisherman getting too close then you'll be the best OOD the Navy has ever seen.

That said, if you want to be an E3 living in a berthing with 90 other dudes who haven't figured out that showering and cleaning things is a basic function of adulthood then go right ahead.
Definitely dont want to be dealing with smelly boys, thanks for that haha I am retaking the ASTB in August. I was 2 points too low to get into OCS as a Naval Flight Officer candidate

Mos

None
Thank you for this info. I think I'm more afraid of the long term commitment that Officers in aviation must do. I was told that if I want to become a Naval Flight Officer its at least a 6-8 year commitment, whereas enlistees in an aviation rate it is much less than that. Is that true? At the end of the day, I think I might be doubting my abilities and need to have more confidence in myself because the officer route does seem like a better life in the military than an enlistee. I am taking the ASTB end of August (this will be my second time, the first time I was 2 points too low) so I will see how I do then.
Yes it's generally a 6-8 year active duty commitment for aviation officers. Some designators, like SWO, usually incur a 4 year active duty commitment.

Just about everyone, enlisted and officer, has a total active+inactive commitment of 8 years. That is, even if you separate at 4 years, you're eligible for another 4 years to be recalled if needed.

Definitely think seriously about it. If you want to minimize your obligation but also make the most of that time, either apply for an officer designator that is only 4 years active, or enlist in a rating that will provide the most useful training and/or compelling experience.