• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to pilot?

superman80

Im New to this forum so im not sure if this question has already been addressed... I tried to brows through a little bit to see if it had and I found nothing... so my story is, I want to be a pilot (duh lol) but im not sure the routes that i can choose from. I attended college for a semester but decided to enlist in the navy and do college while serving because i was very bored with sitting around the dorms and frat parties got old lol.. so i came home and joined up... im headed too bootcamp in a month and after that i will be going to HM A-School... i figured this was one of the better jobs to do until i figure out how to fly. I was wondering what some of the better routes for enlisted sailors to become pilots are. I am some what familure with STA-21 but do not know many of the details or the process... it is also the only officer commissioning program i am aware of apart from applying to the academy... both are great options but I was wondering what can I be doing after I finish A-School to make my self competitive for either of these programs and also what other programs are available for me to become a pilot?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Search...
Try STA-21, prior enlisted pilot, enlisted commissioning programs. There are a ton of other phrases you can search, just give it a shot.

Oh, yeah, and you are going to get flamed by the English police on Airwarriors for your post, so stand by.

superman80

Thanks your advice helped quite a bit... for anybody having the same question... Under the STA-21 program there is whats called the AECP (Aviation Enlisted Commissioning Program) which fallows the same process as all the other STA-21 programs except that your emphasis is in flight...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Well, at least you tried the search, that's progress. Your last post is grossly misinformed. I recommend going to the Navy's official STA-21 website here. It will give you the correct info. There is no longer an Aviation Enlisted Commissioning Program. Even when there was, not a whole lot of Pilots got their start through that option, as they only took a handful each year.
There are several other options, just to give you some more search ammo:
Army flying Chief Warrant Officer (no degree reqd.)
Navy flying Chief Warrant Officer
OCS

The vast majority of prior E's get their commission through STA-21.

Good Luck.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
^^^^^^^^^^^Very nice...:D

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions that your search turns up. I am a prior enlisted SNA about to finish primary. I was an ET1 (SS) for 5 years or so and then was picked up Pilot option via STA-21. If you can get a respectable package together, I cannot reccomend the program highly enough. You continue to receive pay and allowances, your time in service acrues and you also receive 10k/yr for school expenses. Although this likely won't cover the whole school bill unless you go to a state school...and even then maybe not...my experience has been that schools are pretty forthcoming with financial aid especially considering your likely income as a student.

Like I said shoot me a PM if you'd like. WannaGoFast is also an STA-21 guy as are several others on the board so use the resource...He's right btw...LOL is ghey...;)

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Even though I ripped on ya superman, I'm here to help. Prior YN2(SS) with 9+ yrs in, currently in Advanced Jets. PM me with any questions....

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
step one: stop using "lol"... lame. after that, everything just falls into place :)

Step Two: Using capitalization....:icon_tong

Scoober78 said:
...words about STA-21...

Wow, pay and allowances plus time in service....man if I'd have known that USNA may not have been such a draw....

Superman, if you've got questions about the enlisted to USNA route give me a holler, I was a prior MM3.

superman80

can you tell me anything more about the navy chief warrent officer flight option... I have heard of it before but I thought they only took people from the aviation field?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
No, again, do a search and you will get the link to the message. Try google as well. They take all rates except nukes.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Prior enlisted SNA here. Nothing but great things to say about the STA-21 program. PM or post any questions you have. The CWO flying program sounds like a good deal if you have no interest in flying jets. They are restricted to helos and P3s currently.

hm2anderson

EP-3 NFO
Superman80,

In addition to being in the STA-21 program I am an HM of 10+ years.

Some initial advice - think about your first duty station. DO NOT GO TO A HOSPITAL. I suggest taking orders to a Marine Corps Air Wing out of "A" school if possible. If that is not available the Marine Division, Marine Support Group, then a Ship. Also DO NOT take a "C" school that will lock you up in a hospital either. Keep your grades above a 90 and this can help. Graduate first in your class and this could help even more.

Secondly, don't put aside the Naval Academy. You have to decide early if you want this. I think the age is 22 by time of appointment. No family, etc... EVERY enlisted person who I have seen who was qualified was selected for appointment at the Academy and I hear they never fill the 80-90 seats reserved for this program every year for AD Sailors/Marines. It also looks that you could get a recommendation if your parents are retired AD which it looks like they are based off your profile.

PM with any questions.

Good luck in Boot Camp/HM "A" School.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
and I hear they never fill the 80-90 seats reserved for this program every year for AD Sailors/Marines...

that's how it was the four years I was there, close but never the whole allotment filled. (my Plebe and youngster year are speculation, I saw the numbers for 2nd class and firstie year, not close at all).

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
that's how it was the four years I was there, close but never the whole allotment filled. (my Plebe and youngster year are speculation, I saw the numbers for 2nd class and firstie year, not close at all).

Yeah...and there is a reason.:D :icon_tong

superman80

Yea I have actualy been thinking about the academy quite a bit... I did a semester of college... I didnt do so hott (2.0 gpa) but its mostly because of not being motivated...I really didnt want to be there... but none the less, I still didnt do so hott so I am going to have to do some classes when I first get in and get stellar grades to show i have what it takes academicly... any other advice regarding this would be great! also I was wondering why I shouldnt take a C school? I was thinking about trying to get a HM-8401 which is search and rescue medical tech... which would put me in helos... so atleast then I would be around the air community... but either way... why should I try to avoid ships or c schools?