• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted to Aviator path

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardpuch

I am enlisted in the Navy, 18, and almost graduated "A" school at NATTC, Pensacola. As a "wanna be" PILOT My question is to all the Naval Aviators out there who started out enlisted and worked there way up to earn their "gold wings". I lately started putting things together for STA-21 program. I know i have a very long shot of getting accepted this early in my career, but my career counseler said the more you try the better. So, my question is how can i improve my chances of getting accepted in the future? Should i start taking college classes in the meantime? When i pick my orders should i pick a shore duty instead of sea? Also my vision has been 20/30 and holding for several years. If it gets worse should i just apply for the NFO STA-21 program instead? Thanx to all who respond.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Richard,

First off, I have to say that it is great to see that you have set your goals early on, and are trying to develop a plan to get there. I think you will get a wide range of responses on how to make that goal a reality, especially with the varying backgrounds of many of the prior enlisted on this forum. Or heck, those currently going through the application process. (hint hint, guys, this is a good one to respond to!)

Anways, the primary thing is to perform well in your job that you currently have, and get the support of the commands you are in. Do your best at A school, score well. Get to the Fleet, and tackle as many responsibilities, and knock out those quals/pqs as quickly as you can. Don't overburden yourself, but quite frankly, you won't find it hard to excel. Many of your peers you will find are either marking time, enjoying or maybe not! what they are doing, whereas you can tackle and help to build your package. The keystone to this is of course doing well in your rate, and at the command, you won't get that STA pacakge and selection if you don't do your job, and get a good evaluation.

The simple things matter:

- show up to work on time
- iron that uniform! look sharp, and you WILL be noticed, amazing the number of ppl that their uniform only "gets ironed by a rock"
- take on responsibility, get the job done, don't shirk (hide from the chiefs or avoid the "tough job")
- be positive, if you have a can do attitude, ppl will remeber it
- tackle your quals, don't get behind on them, knock out the pqs in short order, ie be the "hot runner" at the command

These are just an initial starting point, but will definitely get you noticed above your peers. You are already talking to a career counselor, make your goals known, and set the plan to get there. Will college help, yes, it will look good on the package, but (correct me if I am wrong anyone, not up to speed on STA) I don't believe that the college IS a requirement. Where will your energies be best spent? Don't sacrifice the present for hurdles down the road.

Shore duty of sea? Well, I started off at shore duty on a staff command, it helped me, allowed me to go to college and get recommendations from officers that I normally would not have had the opportunity to get. But, I did not get a warfare pin till I got to my submarine. Warfare pins mean a lot to any board, you have "been there, done that", and shows that you took the time and motivation to get it done. Well, you kind of have to in the submarine community, is ESWS still optional? Basically, I guess your class will have orders selecetion coming up, find something you are interested in doing, talk to others (instructors, career counselor) and get their view point for your rate. Make an educated call.

Vision, if it falls off, then NFO might be the option for you. I can't answer the question accurately, I would have to look at the STA instruction, do you get picked up for a specific community off the bat, or do you go through selection at the end of college? I honestly dont know. In the end, it took me two tries to get selected through ECP, and one attempt at STA (original program). Keep trying, the board notices that also!

Whew, that is pretty much everything I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure others will have good advice to follow. Best of luck in your pursuit of that commission and getting the wings of gold. Having the plan and setting the goal is half the battle. Best of luck!

Rayman

Originally posted by webmaster
Richard,

But, I did not get a warfare pin till I got to my submarine. Warfare pins mean a lot to any board, you have "been there, done that", and shows that you took the time and motivation to get it done.

Once enlisted, how long, say months or years will it take for you to get your warfare pin/s?
xmas_125.gif

rayman

kaiangel

For STA-21 there are no college and time in service requirements. From what I have seen, mostly second classes (E-5's) get accepted. However, there are also E-4's and some E-3's. Definitely take college classes whenever possible and go to your Navy College office to take some CLEP examinations. These are tests, that if you pass, count for college credit in many universities. Also, everything John said. So many sailors don't try, that the ones that do get noticed. Don't get burnt out, life gets much better. The life of a junior sailor is hard, but it only lasts a couple years. And definitely get a warfare pin. They only take a few months to get and they mean the world. On a good sailor you expect to see one.
You cannot qualify for a warfare pin until you get to a real command. So that varries for everyone. Once at you command, you need to qualify in other areas first. Once you are past that, then it is all up to you.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well the two pins I earned were the Navy SCUBA Diver pin, which I got from going the NDSTC's 9 week course down in Panama City, FL. My silver dolphins took a lot longer. You are given 12 months to qualify, and complete your PQS and your board. It took me like 9-10 months or so if I recall. A **** hot person does it in like 7-8 if I recall correctly. Like kaiangel said, you still have to work on your positional quals, for me it was top side watch, below decks watch (both in port), then I had planesman and helmsan, and basic sonar operator underway. Then you have all your fun instructions and quals that are associated with your jobs that you have to become familiar with, like PMS and the tag out system.

richardpuch

Thanx to all who responded...

Thank you... all the information cleared some questions i had and motivated me to pursue my goal. I'll have to talk with some of my instructors to see what they have to say about working towards a commision in my rate too. I have one more question though... This came up in school the other day by one of the Marine Intsructors. He told us that in some kind of Marine Aircrew school they actualy took him underwater and held on to him until he blacked out and drowned. He assured me pilots go through the exact same training. I've read about the water survival training pilots go through but i've never heard of purposely drowning them. Do they really do this?

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
I am a Naval Aircrewman (9 years AT1). Marines and Navy go through the same course NACCS integrated classes right there in P-cola. They never drowned me! I think I would have remembered that. They did drown a guy back about 10 years ago in Rescue Swimmer School, which is when they started easing us on those guys. It's a lot easier to get through RSS than it used to be. They do what is called multi rescues where they have to rescue several people. This is where they used to grab hold of you, but can't say if they are still doing that. I don't know about O aviators.

Chris

LadyJayUSN

posted by richard:
I am enlisted in the Navy, 18, and almost graduated "A" school at NATTC, Pensacola...So, my question is how can I improve my chances of getting accepted in the future? Should i start taking college classes in the meantime? When i pick my orders should i pick a shore duty instead of sea?

I'm a former AE2...graduated from 'A' school right there in Pensacola just a few short years ago and now I am 2 semesters from graduating college and hopefully becoming a Naval aviatior. In my humble opinion, performance is the key regardless of where you go from 'A' school. Good luck....

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

LadyJayUSN

Oh, and I'd say it takes (on avg)...oh....6-9 months for EAWS and ESWS. Of course, you can't start one without completing the other.

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

bar1

I have to agree with everyone else who recomended getting a warfare pin. Since the start of the STA-21 program, everyone who's been picked up for the program has had at least one pin. Also, if you haven't already, check out the Navy's offical STA-21 website: www.sta-21.navy.mil
Good luck to ya

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Richard,
Pretty much said it all. I went through the old ECP (STA-21 replaced it). STA-21 is a great program. Keep focused and do well in all you do (this includes your RATE...Make sure your study hard for your rating exams and you will make it the first time everytime).
I was the head of the EAWS Program when I was in the squadon and the fastest you can complete your wings is in about 4 months (if you are locked on). You have to set your goals early and keep your nose to the grindstone.
ea6bflyr
xmas_125.gif

Oliver

I'm also down here in sunny Pensacola. I'm going through NACCS right now for naval aircrew. I enlisted with a degree in industrial engineering from Purdue University. I had medocre grades (GPA 2.49), which was why I initially didn't get a aviator slot. I had taken the ASTB and scored a OAR of 54 and rest 5's. Does anyone know how I would stack up for a slot. Or what should I do to improve my chances.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oliver,
Have fun at NACCS (went though there in 86, and yes I know I'm old). Retake the ASTB for higher scores, do well on the Enlisted side and RE-APPLY, RE-APPLY, RE-APPLY. Don't stop until they say yes. Good luck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Chuck D

Richard,
Depending on your rate will also determine how much time you have to go to school. I was an ABE stationed on the USS Eisenhower and was never in port long enough to take any classes. And the funny thing was I had a request chit shot down to take PACE courses. Anyway I am sure that it is different now and most commands really promote going to school. I ended up getting out after 4 years and going to school. And now I am in API with an aviator slot. Just keep your eye on the prize!!

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.