• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I wonder if those "destroy oil" people realize that (at least) half the planet would starve. Of course, that would also reduce our carbon footprint... after making it really big for a short time. So maybe that's what they're going for.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Wasn't there a movie about that?
giphy.gif

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I wonder if those "destroy oil" people realize that (at least) half the planet would starve. Of course, that would also reduce our carbon footprint... after making it really big for a short time. So maybe that's what they're going for.

Petrochemicals are the feedstock for fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides that allow marginal farmland to be productive as well as fuel for mechanized agriculture which allows one to scale production. Take that away and you will get famine.

On a separate note, this was probably not what the Paris Agreement had in mind. Cut down trees in the US, turn them into pellets and ship them to Europe to burn in place of fossil fuels.

How 'Green' Are Wood Pellets as a Fuel Source?
Europe is betting big on wood to replace coal, but the industry is taking heat for stoking carbon emissions and air pollution.

PMPT

Thomas Malthus was right?

But in all seriousness. Transition away at some point will be an inevitability. Regardless of the confidence we have in the anthropogenic global warming (and I gather the consensus is quite high), I do wonder if we shouldn't be more cautious with what could be a potentially irreversible set of circumstances.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Realistically, I don't think the planet will continue to support >7B human beings living on it. I think our numbers will diminish in future, hopefully due to natural causes (e.g. diminishing birth rate in highly populated areas) and not some catastrophic event. I personally think something in the 3-5B range is more sustainable, unless we accept a diminished standard of living, or new farming and energy technology comes along. Any of that is possible, but it seems foolish to count on it. How that should drive our policy decisions, I dunno... I'll leave that to the poli sci majors in the room.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
My house in Westcherster, NY is worth roughly the same as my condo in Waikiki, Hawaii. Both are in the $700k range. I pay more taxes in a month on the NY house than I pay in a year on the Hawaii condo.

I would financially benefit from raising the SALT limits. I don’t care. I’m opposed to almost everything NY does that cause the ridiculously high taxes. I’d rather take the financial hit they support NY’s stupidity. Zero SALT deductions
should be the law.

Looks like the new bill passed the house. It does have some good parts, but the SALT repeal is going to make headlines. Looks like the maximum you can deduct is $80,000 of state and local taxes (which NBC News calls “middle class”). Off it goes to the Senate - doubt if Senators Manchin, Sinema or even Sanders will sign off on it.

Late edit: when the bill passed the House today, the Washington Post breaking news article did not cover the SALT portion of Build Back Better. The NYT had a small blurb near the bottom of their report. Just finished watching PBS NewsHour and they covered most of the parts of BBB - but not the SALT repeal that benefits the rich. Doubt if Washington Week in Review will be any better.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
…something in the 3-5B range is more sustainable, unless we accept a diminished standard of living…
Man, that’s a tough one. There’s no way we can bring the entire planet, or even a goodly portion of it, up to average USA standard of living, as it correlates to energy use. We use way more energy per person than almost everybody else.

Something transformative will have to happen.

SlickAg

pilot
I guess we’ll just have a moral responsibility, as Naval Officers/citizens of the world, to set the example for the rest of our fellow Earthly co-inhabitants.

No showers, no red meat, no more than two meals a day, only permitted to drive between residence and duty station. It’ll be a sacrifice, but totally worth it in the end! Especially since it’ll finally show the Chinese who the boss is, once and for all.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I guess we’ll just have a moral responsibility, as Naval Officers/citizens of the world, to set the example for the rest of our fellow Earthly co-inhabitants.

No showers, no red meat, no more than two meals a day, only permitted to drive between residence and duty station. It’ll be a sacrifice, but totally worth it in the end! Especially since it’ll finally show the Chinese who the boss is, once and for all.
Better check the CO2 exhaust and mpg on that CG, DDG, LPD, LCS, etc.