• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This seems interesting:

Iran and Saudi Arabia agree to restore relations​

The regional rivals are expected to reopen embassies within two months as they re-establish ties and a security agreement after Beijing talks.

That's a little surprising to me but given the really deep seated mutual loathing, going back before to well before the Shah fell, I don't think there'll be a great reordering of Middle East or Gulf geopolitics anytime soon.

taxi1

pilot
That's a little surprising to me but given the really deep seated mutual loathing, going back before to well before the Shah fell, I don't think there'll be a great reordering of Middle East or Gulf geopolitics anytime soon.
Friends close, enemies closer…?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There is still the Sunni v Shia divide there that will always have them less than trusting of “the other.” I agree, no great reordering, just China on the verge of maybe learning some hard lessons about the Middle East.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Friends close, enemies closer…?

Kind of, I think the Crown Prince is trying to mend fences to a degree and show that Saudi Arabia doesn't need the US or the west since we were so mean to him after his Istanbul fiasco.

There is still the Sunni v Shia divide there that will always have them less than trusting of “the other.” I agree, no great reordering, just China on the verge of maybe learning some hard lessons about the Middle East.

The Arab vs Persian thing comes into play too, I was a little surprised at the common and casual disparaging of Iran and Iranians by the Arab military guys I worked with.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Your continue to post about the farmer protests in the Netherlands like it is some sort of existential crisis for them but fail to mention why the government is taking action. It is sort of like fishermen protesting fishing limits, there is good reason behind the policies if you bothered to look beyond the alarmist headlines.
Considering the results of the Dutch elections Wednesday night, it looks like a lot of them considered it existential. Will be interesting to see how Prime Minister Rutte reacts to this.

number9

Contributor
Your continue to post about the farmer protests in the Netherlands like it is some sort of existential crisis for them but fail to mention why the government is taking action. It is sort of like fishermen protesting fishing limits, there is good reason behind the policies if you bothered to look beyond the alarmist headlines.
When I lived in Maine, it was somewhat common (even in the cities) to see a bumper sticker that said something along the lines of "NOAA Fisheries: ruining fishermen's livelihoods since 1970". Without limits, we'd have way fewer fish than we have today.. so yeah.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Considering the results of the Dutch elections Wednesday night, it looks like a lot of them considered it existential. Will be interesting to see how Prime Minister Rutte reacts to this.

Existential or not the party only gained control of 20% of the seats in the upper house of parliament, it also happens to be the exact same amount of seats the Green-Labour alliance got. So maybe existential for both sides?

When I lived in Maine, it was somewhat common (even in the cities) to see a bumper sticker that said something along the lines of "NOAA Fisheries: ruining fishermen's livelihoods since 1970". Without limits, we'd have way fewer fish than we have today.. so yeah.

Of course China is taking care of that worldwide now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Without limits, we'd have way fewer fish than we have today.. so yeah.
Of course, we have way fewer commercial fisherman today. So there is that. Can't say the signs were wrong. That said, @Flash is right about the Chinese.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

taxi1

pilot
We have way fewer fish. We'd probably have no fish otherwise.

1679074360217.png

Humans aren't good at long range planning.

number9

Contributor
We have way fewer fish. We'd probably have no fish otherwise.

View attachment 37830

Humans aren't good at long range planning.
That's what I meant, thank you for clarifying it. We have fewer now.. we'd have basically zero otherwise.

"Fishing down the food chain" is a real thing. Cod: a biography was a fascinating book.. you read historical accounts of fish numbers and how easy they were to catch then, and now they are (for all intents and purposes) virtually wiped out.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Existential or not the party only gained control of 20% of the seats in the upper house of parliament, it also happens to be the exact same amount of seats the Green-Labour alliance got. So maybe existential for both sides?

Of course China is taking care of that worldwide now.
Are you sure about those numbers being the same?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator