• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think the current batteries will be short term. They’re furiously working on new battery chemistries and designs as I type. You’ll bring your car in, and they’ll swap in a new battery with far better capacity and life each time you replace it.
Perhaps, but that strikes me as horribly wasteful. Also, while I am not anti-EV, I do try to keep in mind that they are really just transferring pollution from one pipe to another.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I think the current batteries will be short term. They’re furiously working on new battery chemistries and designs as I type. You’ll bring your car in, and they’ll swap in a new battery with far better capacity and life each time you replace it.
No they won’t. It’ll be like iPhones. Each new battery will have its own proprietary adapter, and only work with the latest generation cars. Or they’ll change the voltage or something. Some of those changes may be legitimate upgrades to better tech that renders old units useless

Why would they allow you to upgrade without buying a whole new car? Even if they do, will those old batteries be recyclable?

I contend the forced conversion to electricity will cause far more waste and pollution than focusing on efficiency and longevity with fueled engines. But since it’s outsourcing the pollution from California to Timbuktu, all the rich people can look the other way again.

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Not so much in China (or India for that matter) .

Xi's dubious 2020 pledge aside, I think this excerpt from the article illustrates that coal probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon at least from a global perspective.

"When Xi Jinping surprised the world with his 2020 pledge for carbon neutrality by 2060, China’s economy was stronger than it is today and the top-down crackdowns on existing coal plants were real. Fast forward to today and the drive to restart its economy after COVID-19 lockdowns has pushed Chinese policymakers to prioritize energy security and economic growth over carbon reductions. The foundation for China’s clean energy transition still exists, but these new coal plants mark a sobering lock-in of high-carbon energy."
From Forbes today:

China is expected to approve 270GW of new coal power plants by 2025, larger than the entire US coal fleet. At the COP27 summit in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, India’s coal minister Pralhad Joshi said that coal will play an important role “until at least 2040 and beyond”. He continued, “Thus, no transition away from coal is happening in the foreseeable future in India”.

taxi1

pilot
From Forbes today:

China is expected to approve 270GW of new coal power plants by 2025, larger than the entire US coal fleet. At the COP27 summit in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, India’s coal minister Pralhad Joshi said that coal will play an important role “until at least 2040 and beyond”. He continued, “Thus, no transition away from coal is happening in the foreseeable future in India”.
I feel bad for those who will be around to deal with the fallout of all that CO2. To include my kids.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
From Forbes today:

This isn't surprising. According to some reports I read from Woods Mackenzie, the Levelized Cost of Electricity (LCOE) from fossil fuels in China is $45-50 MWh, Solar is $60+ MWh. In India, Solar is cheaper then fossil fuels, but onshore wind is more expensive ($44+MWh v. $48+MWh)

Also, coal takes up significantly less space per MW produced.

1670508112656.png

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

Companies Are Buying Large Numbers of Carbon Offsets That Don’t Cut Emissions​

With the boom in renewable energy, many of the credits that trade hands merely represent a transfer of money from one profitable enterprise to another, critics say​

the Journal’s analysis shows—meaning that big chunks of the wind industry in China were at least partially funded by Western companies seeking offsets.

But China has struggled to use its wind power,which means in practice the credits did little to offset carbon emissions. Some turbines weren’t connected to the power grid and others couldn’t sell electricity as grid operators rejected wind energy in favor of traditional fossil-fuel sources
That headline is spot on.

I remember seeing a banner in the Chicago Blackhawks arena saying the entire building was powered by green energy. What they really meant was the arena's energy supplier, which happened to be my employer, was buying carbon credits to offset the fossil fuels used to generate the energy used at the arena. There was no reduction in emissions in Chicago. Those credits were likely generated by a project outside the city, or even outside of the state.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel bad for those who will be around to deal with the fallout of all that CO2. To include my kids.
I'll take whatever likely fallout there is from the CO2, which will be compensated for by future technology, in exchange for bringing 100s of millions of people out of the cold and darkness of poverty. Wouldn't be surprised if your kids and grand children will be safe and wealthy in the good 'ol USofA actually working on CO2 fallout compensation technologies.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'll take whatever likely fallout there is from the CO2, which will be compensated for by future technology, in exchange for bringing 100s of millions of people out of the cold and darkness of poverty. Wouldn't be surprised if your kids and grand children will be safe and wealthy in the good 'ol USofA actually working on CO2 fallout compensation technologies.

With any luck by then we will have dropped the guilt trips and virtue-signaling, and actually have spent the time and sweat to develop energy tech that is sustainable, and has the availability and power density to meet our needs. Maybe with some good ole nuclear fission (leveraging newer designs) to help us along the way.

If not, we'll be looking at a very different future, likely with very different- i.e. lower- global population levels. How that affects our kids will depend on the geopolitical details of that change, and where they live.

taxi1

pilot
I'll take whatever likely fallout there is from the CO2, which will be compensated for by future technology, in exchange for bringing 100s of millions of people out of the cold and darkness of poverty.

We are just running one big-@ss experiment with our planet's dynamic system, raising the CO2 way faster than any geologic record indicates it ever has before. Basically, saying “I wonder what this button does?” And then holding it down. We know that CO2 and temps and ocean Ph correlate, maybe weakly but possibly strongly with an intolerably high probability.

Humans have a long history of failing to take the long view, so I don't expect us to do much about this other than burn baby burn. As noted above, most of the carbon offset stuff is just a feel-good story.

We are going to find out what happens when you dump CO2 into the atmosphere at a quantity not seen in tens of millions of years, and at a rate never seen.

The PETM is the best analogy we have, and it doesn’t bode well.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
We are just running one big-@ss experiment with our planet's dynamic system, raising the CO2 way faster than any geologic record indicates it ever has before. Basically, saying “I wonder what this button does?” And then holding it down. We know that CO2 and temps and ocean Ph correlate, maybe weakly but possibly strongly with an intolerably high probability.

Humans have a long history of failing to take the long view, so I don't expect us to do much about this other than burn baby burn. As noted above, most of the carbon offset stuff is just a feel-good story.

We are going to find out what happens when you dump CO2 into the atmosphere at a quantity not seen in tens of millions of years, and at a rate never seen.

The PETM is the best analogy we have, and it doesn’t bode well.
I'm guessing no one alive today though will witness consequences. True?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm guessing no one alive today though will witness consequences. True?
False.

While I do tend to roll my eyes when people attribute every extreme weather event, forest fire, drought, flood, etc to climate change, or those who claim that we face an existential threat, it's hard to deny that the climate is changing. The impacts are already being felt... more so in some places than others.

The sea level is rising. That is undeniable, and my base in the middle of the Pacific Ocean sits 15-28 ft above mean sea level. We, I.E. the NAVFAC/CNIC enterprise, are already investing in mitigations and climate resiliency measures. We're going to have to build a sea wall to prevent the airfield from being inundated. More than 40% of the agricultural land on the west side of Kauai will be under water by 2070.

So, when considering whether anyone alive today will witness consequences, you're about 15 years late to the party. Those are your tax dollars, going to climate resiliency MILCON instead of buying new platforms and building weapon magazine depth.

Consequential enough for you?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
False.

While I do tend to roll my eyes when people attribute every extreme weather event, forest fire, drought, flood, etc to climate change, or those who claim that we face an existential threat, it's hard to deny that the climate is changing. The impacts are already being felt... more so in some places than others.

The sea level is rising. That is undeniable, and my base in the middle of the Pacific Ocean sits 15-28 ft above mean sea level. We, I.E. the NAVFAC/CNIC enterprise, are already investing in mitigations and climate resiliency measures. We're going to have to build a sea wall to prevent the airfield from being inundated. More than 40% of the agricultural land on the west side of Kauai will be under water by 2070.

So, when considering whether anyone alive today will witness consequences, you're about 15 years late to the party. Those are your tax dollars, going to climate resiliency MILCON instead of buying new platforms and building weapon magazine depth.

Consequential enough for you?
So the DOD found another another way to spend billions of dollars other than on people, platforms and weapons. Not news. ?