• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Energy Discussion

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Cold fusion is the way to go. The two problems with nuclear are obviously:
  • what to do with the radioactive waste
  • accidents

exNavyOffRec

Cold fusion is the way to go. The two problems with nuclear are obviously:
  • what to do with the radioactive waste
  • accidents

radioactive waste is minimal, production of nuclear weapons is what creates all the waste.
what is often considered "radioactive waste" isn't dangerous at all it is classified as such due to the fact that people believe anything that comes in contact with anything nuclear will cause a person to have their hair fall out.

the "accidents" were indeed accidents but the exposure for nearly all of them was nothing anyone should be concerned about, and if anyone was concerned about those "accidents" then those same people should never get an x-ray again.

exNavyOffRec

I think a lot of people’s knowledge of nuclear energy comes from either The Simpsons or The China Syndrome. And, of course, Chernobyl for the newer generation.

Haven’t watched Chernobyl but the first two certainly don’t portray it in a flattering light.

I worked with a nuke that was pretty much like Homer Simpson, he was a pudgy Filipino dude that always looked like he just rolled out of his rack.

BigRed389

None
radioactive waste is minimal, production of nuclear weapons is what creates all the waste.
what is often considered "radioactive waste" isn't dangerous at all it is classified as such due to the fact that people believe anything that comes in contact with anything nuclear will cause a person to have their hair fall out.

the "accidents" were indeed accidents but the exposure for nearly all of them was nothing anyone should be concerned about, and if anyone was concerned about those "accidents" then those same people should never get an x-ray again.

Our accidents or other people's accidents?

Because I've been under the impression that while Three Mile was no big deal, Chernobyl definitely was a really big deal, and Fukushima was sort of a big deal.

You will note I am sticking to only strict technically defined criteria of severity.

exNavyOffRec

Our accidents or other people's accidents?

Because I've been under the impression that while Three Mile was no big deal, Chernobyl definitely was a really big deal, and Fukushima was sort of a big deal.

You will note I am sticking to only strict technically defined criteria of severity.

Chernobyl was a big deal but as it turns out it is turning out to be less of an issue they thought it would be as time passes.

Fukushima was not great but as it turns out also not that bad, for some reason the Japanese are ultra sensitive when it comes to all things nuclear........

Notanaviator

Contributor
Not sure if it’s come up before but crossing the streams between this and the Netflix thread, Occupied is generally a great show, but the set up has to do with energy security and replacing oil and gas.

I’m directly involved in this as our companies are primarily in oil and gas, but generally, as with many things, I’d say the truth on the outlook as many have stated is somewhere in between. Rumors of fossil fuels’ demise have been greatly exaggerated - always cracks me up people plugging in their Tesla’s and not realizing their grid is powered by, I dunno, coal or natural gas.

Im sure there’s data out there to underpin this, but my sense is that more progress and uptake is occurring in the battery (to include EV) space, vice how the energy is generated. We’re still a ways off from wind and solar replacing fossil fuels, hydroelectric has its own environmental challenges, nuclear has been well covered above, etc. Natural Gas is far too effective from a cost and efficiency perspective... I just don’t see any of these things being adapted as of yet for replacing rail, shipping, and air. Oh by the way, all these Tesla groupies probably don’t realize how and where lithium and cobalt are mined... that’s a fun one. Super green, if by green you mean the child workers are inexperienced.

Notanaviator

Contributor
If y’all are interested in the American oil/gas boom and how it’s changed the energy world, The New Map by Daniel Yergin is a great read.

Together with The Prize and The Quest. I can’t think of another historian who has singularly owned the storytelling for a given category of history. The Prize is a terrific albeit ROBUST read on how the Middle East became the Middle East.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think a lot of people’s knowledge of nuclear energy comes from either The Simpsons or The China Syndrome. And, of course, Chernobyl for the newer generation.
The two problems with nuclear are obviously
The main reason nuclear power hasn't taken a broader hold in the US is that it's too expensive. If there were an economic incentive to expand nuclear power, we would do it despite the complaints from any dissenters.

exNavyOffRec

The main reason nuclear power hasn't taken a broader hold in the US is that it's too expensive. If there were an economic incentive to expand nuclear power, we would do it despite the complaints from any dissenters.

That is our own fault, if we standardized the reactors like France has done that would reduce build cost, reduce training cost, etc...... France has the highest percent of power from nuclear power and the lowest cost of electricity in Europe, or at least they used to.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That is our own fault, if we standardized the reactors like France has done that would reduce build cost, reduce training cost, etc...... France has the highest percent of power from nuclear power and the lowest cost of electricity in Europe, or at least they used to.
Building more commercial nuclear plants won't make them magically cheaper to build and operate.

Countries in the EU are responsible for quite a few tier 3 nuclear incidents in the 21st century, so I'd be careful about modeling their cost-cutting savings.

exNavyOffRec

Building more commercial nuclear plants won't make them magically cheaper to build and operate.

Countries in the EU are responsible for quite a few tier 3 nuclear incidents in the 21st century, so I'd be careful about modeling their cost-cutting savings.

I am only speaking of France that has a good record, back in the late 80's early 90's there some enlisted nukes ended up going and working over there, I didn't know any of them as they were before my time but the guys that did relayed if you were fluent in french it was a good deal as you could go from one plant to another seeing the different parts of the country.

My retention of french from high school was minimal so that was a no go for me lol

SlickAg

pilot
I am only speaking of France that has a good record, back in the late 80's early 90's there some enlisted nukes ended up going and working over there, I didn't know any of them as they were before my time but the guys that did relayed if you were fluent in french it was a good deal as you could go from one plant to another seeing the different parts of the country.

My retention of french from high school was minimal so that was a no go for me lol
I feel like you missed your true calling here @Brett327.