• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Embry Riddle NROTC

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Ahhh, now this is apparently what it used to be

daytona-beach-625917-sw.jpg

That picture will make you believe in global warming :eek:

Those cars would be 50 yards into the Atlantic now!

Believe or not, it still looks like that at low tide, including the greaser on the pan-head. Some things are timeless.

Dirt-ona - AAh the memories
party0006.gif

A.E.

is it true that if you're pilot qualified and a MIDN at ERAU then you don't have to worry much about getting SNA

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you read the thread? Where you go to school means jack in terms of getting a pilot slot. If your grades suck or you suck as a MIDN, then going to ERAU with a PPL won't help.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
is it true that if you're pilot qualified and a MIDN at ERAU then you don't have to worry much about getting SNA

Although ERAU has one of the highest, if not the highest SNA selection percentages for its NROTC mid'n, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

The unit has only been around for a few years... It is VERY new. Although they may or may not have a 100% selection rate, there haven't been THAT many graduated mid'n yet.

To put in perspective of how long they have been around, the first SNA selectees to graduate from ERAU NROTC are just now getting through the RAG and into the fleet.

I think it's safe to say that if you go to ERAU, get good grades, be a stand up mid'n and ultimately work hard, you've got a GREAT shot.

But if you are going to join NROTC, do it first and foremost because you want to be an officer in the NAVY (not necessarily a pilot). Who knows what is going to happen in the future (bad economy anyone?).

There are tons of possibilities that might cut you out of the running for a flight slot that are unforseen.

If you plan on joining NROTC, I encourage you to start looking at the big picture. If you want that guaranteed flight slot, apply to the BDCP/PLC program.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think it's safe to say that if you go to INSERT SCHOOL NAME HERE, get good grades, be a stand up mid'n and ultimately work hard, you've got a GREAT shot.

From what I saw in 5 yrs in the NROTC program, this is a pretty true statement regardless of school

Python

pilot
Contributor
I also would not use the statistics about how many got pilot slots in the past. With the advent of "service assignment" instead of service selection its not going to matter.

A lot of things could change with this and I have a strong feeling more people may be let down from what they wanted. This is another reason not to choose a school solely because of its reputation with getting a slot.

A.E.

thanks for the advice, im not going to take the chance and id rather just go to a school where 90+% have gone on to flight training.

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
The battalion here is indeed young. There are some pretty great opportunities here as well. Aside from being a pilot in the military you can also get your flight certificates here for free if you are on scholarship. People are right though about looking at the big picture. Being a Naval Officer is MORE important than just wanting to fly Hornets because you think they are cool. But other than that, if you like aviation in the civilian world you can get your private all the way up to your commercial multi rating paid for. It's not too bad, and the engineering programs are top-notch too. Good location as previously stated by some people on here.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Ok, to all those people that are like "ERAU will let me be a NA because its awsome and has a large % of people becomming NA's" you have to look at the fact that a majority of the people going to ERAU are looking to become aviators and therefore are selecting aviation therefore the precentage is going to be higher.

If you want the greatest chance of selecting aviation then go BDCP, PLC or just plain OCS. This way you have no commitment outside of what you contract.

If you do plan to go through ROTC don't even think for one second that what university you go to has any berring on your selection into flight. You have to do well in school as well as being an excellent MIDN. Just because you are an ERAU student doesn't mean you are guarenteed $***.

With that said, give a hundred precent at whatever you do and keep in mind that the needs of the Navy or Marine Corp far outway your own and just make the best out of whatever it is you select. There is pride to be had in just having those gold bars so roll with it.

as a former ERAU MIDN, that is just my $.02

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
alright previous post definatly qualifies more as a rant than advice so I guess I'll sum it up this way:

The only thing that is going to increase your chances of selecting aviation is YOU.

/rant

btw I have nothing against ERAU's NROTC program, In fact I wish I had been able to stay there in that program.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
+1....I don't think there are too many graduates of NROTC (myself included) who will argue differently. You can see what you want to see, but the reality is that you have just as much of a likelihood of selecting anywhere if you are a good candidate.

If you go to ERAU simply because you think it will improve your chances of selection, when you otherwise would want to go somewhere else, then you will be in for a huge letdown if you don't select SNA. It's been real good the last few years, but that is not to say that pilot/NFO slots won't dry up at some point in the future.......and that would affect ERAU grads just as much as it would anywhere else. Just something to think about....

Oh yeah, ERAU middies also don't get to do aviation middie cruises which IMHO is kind of a bummer

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What's the reasoning behind that?

The reason I heard was to give the predominantly aviation oriented middies exposure to other officer communities. I should qualify my previous by saying that I'm not sure whether this is still the unit policy, but it at least was for a few years prior.