• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN EDO-Engineering Duty Officer Option

Pags

N/A
pilot
Sir, I did some research and saw "MILPERSMAN 1212-040." In order to be EDO, it states one of the conditions that " be within at least 6 months of promotion to Lieutenant." But there is no way being a Lieutenant after first SWO tour. Or I am understanding it incorrectly. Forgive my english.
From glancing over the MILPERSMAN you'd likely have to do more than one tour until you hit the 6mo from LT wicket. Not sure if your second tour would necessarily be on a ship or if your "pre-EDO" status would allow you to take orders to a yard/NAVSEA/PMS and then redesignate once there. Since you'd be an EDO option I'd imagine the redesignation would be relatively pain free.

Leon Chen

From glancing over the MILPERSMAN you'd likely have to do more than one tour until you hit the 6mo from LT wicket. Not sure if your second tour would necessarily be on a ship or if your "pre-EDO" status would allow you to take orders to a yard/NAVSEA/PMS and then redesignate once there. Since you'd be an EDO option I'd imagine the redesignation would be relatively pain free.

Hope so. But the graduate school is after becoming an EDO which means after being LT. I did some googleing and found that typically it need 4 years to be LT which is the time of one contract. It is pretty weird. Thank you for your response!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hope so. But the graduate school is after becoming an EDO which means after being LT. I did some googleing and found that typically it need 4 years to be LT which is the time of one contract. It is pretty weird. Thank you for your response!
General SWO timeline is that you spend your first four years split between two different ships. So if you redesignates it'd be at the 3.5yr mark so sometime during your second tour you'd become an EDO and would then get a new set or orders for the EDO community. I don't know when they might send you to grad school but i could imagine a good time would be immediately following redesignation. So your career would go like this:
1. OCS
2. Boat #1 (SWO pin)
3. Boat #2
4. Redesignation
5. New orders for EDO career
6 and on: EDO jobs until resignation/retirement

Not sure what you mean by "contract". I imagine you signing on as an EDO option might obligate you to additional time beyond the basic initial SWO obligation since you won't become an EDO until the 3.5yr mark.

Leon Chen

General SWO timeline is that you spend your first four years split between two different ships. So if you redesignates it'd be at the 3.5yr mark so sometime during your second tour you'd become an EDO and would then get a new set or orders for the EDO community. I don't know when they might send you to grad school but i could imagine a good time would be immediately following redesignation. So your career would go like this:
1. OCS
2. Boat #1 (SWO pin)
3. Boat #2
4. Redesignation
5. New orders for EDO career
6 and on: EDO jobs until resignation/retirement

Not sure what you mean by "contract". I imagine you signing on as an EDO option might obligate you to additional time beyond the basic initial SWO obligation since you won't become an EDO until the 3.5yr mark.

Yup, you are right. Basically, I guess, the first four years are similar to SWO. Thank you Sir.

BigRed389

None
Hmm. I am going active. Why is it normal for Reserves?>

Because having a part timer go SWO in order to gain operational experience just to transfer them over to EDO doesn't really fit the point of having the Reserves.

It's similar with AEDOs. I've met a few AEDO Reservists who Direct Commissioned who were never naval aviators, but I'm fairly certain that's not a thing on the Active side.

exNavyOffRec

The nuke sub and surface officers I knew that desired to go EDO-N after their initial obligation had no problem doing so, the EDO-N have some pretty decent billets, and on the way are sent to get a Masters or a few Masters, the one LT I knew was sent to MIT to get his in Ocean Engineering and Mech Eng.

Leon Chen

The nuke sub and surface officers I knew that desired to go EDO-N after their initial obligation had no problem doing so, the EDO-N have some pretty decent billets, and on the way are sent to get a Masters or a few Masters, the one LT I knew was sent to MIT to get his in Ocean Engineering and Mech Eng.

Yup, that is my goal as well. I want to go for Naval/Mechanical phd during the time of service. Do you know does Submarine officer and SWO have equal opportunities to go to MIT? In the 1212-040 I mentioned earlier, they mentioned MIT for submarine ED option but no in the Surface ED option.

Thank you Sir!

exNavyOffRec

Yup, that is my goal as well. I want to go for Naval/Mechanical phd during the time of service. Do you know does Submarine officer and SWO have equal opportunities to go to MIT? In the 1212-040 I mentioned earlier, they mentioned MIT for submarine ED option but no in the Surface ED option.

Thank you Sir!

This is just my observations but the sub guys that went EDO went to MIT or similar school, the SWO-N seemed to go to once that were more "normal" for lack of a better word.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I don't have the exact numbers for MIT (quotas change by year), but most EDOs go to NPS and do an engineering curriculum, with systems engineering being the most popular. The curriculum will also have you take classes to introduce you to how military acquisitions and major program management is done. Keep in mind that your academic credentials still have to be good enough to get you into MIT to go that route, so if you are expecting the Navy to grant you a free pass then you will be disappointed.

If you are a submariner the first opportunity on paper is post-DH (~11-12 YCS). The community can waive this if there is an overflow, but it is not a regular practice. Most pre-DH lat transfers are NPQ subs or did not screen DH, the latter is like the bottom 0.5% of performers.

It looks like the nuke option career paths are more specific in terms of where you will end up after a 20 year career, whereas 'vanilla' EDOs have some additional pipeline options.

Leon Chen

I don't have the exact numbers for MIT (quotas change by year), but most EDOs go to NPS and do an engineering curriculum, with systems engineering being the most popular. The curriculum will also have you take classes to introduce you to how military acquisitions and major program management is done. Keep in mind that your academic credentials still have to be good enough to get you into MIT to go that route, so if you are expecting the Navy to grant you a free pass then you will be disappointed.

If you are a submariner the first opportunity on paper is post-DH (~11-12 YCS). The community can waive this if there is an overflow, but it is not a regular practice. Most pre-DH lat transfers are NPQ subs or did not screen DH, the latter is like the bottom 0.5% of performers.

It looks like the nuke option career paths are more specific in terms of where you will end up after a 20 year career, whereas 'vanilla' EDOs have some additional pipeline options.

Yes sir. I do understand the competitiveness of MIT. I read over the Naval construction program multiple times. It is still the same application process for graduate school at MIT. I believe I can make it if there are quotas available. I am currently doing a systems engineering job including DOD acquisitions and systems management. No much fun for that.

Could you mind explaining more about "If you are a submariner the first opportunity on paper is post-DH (~11-12 YCS)"? Do you mean the opportunity to go to school? Does it mean SWO have better chance to go to graduate school?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes sir. I do understand the competitiveness of MIT. I read over the Naval construction program multiple times. It is still the same application process for graduate school at MIT. I believe I can make it if there are quotas available. I am currently doing a systems engineering job including DOD acquisitions and systems management. No much fun for that.

Could you mind explaining more about "If you are a submariner the first opportunity on paper is post-DH (~11-12 YCS)"? Do you mean the opportunity to go to school? Does it mean SWO have better chance to go to graduate school?
If you're not currently enjoying a job that entails SE and DoD acquisitions and aren't enjoying it why would you apply for EDO? As an EDO you will be doing just that but while in uniform.

Leon Chen

If you're not currently enjoying a job that entails SE and DoD acquisitions and aren't enjoying it why would you apply for EDO? As an EDO you will be doing just that but while in uniform.

I am hoping to get into the design/research.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I am hoping to get into the design/research.
I'm not sure how much of that is done by EDOs, you might want to do some more research on that one. I can tell you that on the aviation side AEDOs do very little design and research.

Leon Chen

I'm not sure how much of that is done by EDOs, you might want to do some more research on that one. I can tell you that on the aviation side AEDOs do very little design and research.

Thanks! I will definitely do more research on that. I also found out that MIT courses including submarine/ship design. I think it will be fun and helpful for design/research in Navy (hopefully).

I just feel that my OR does not know much about EDO and leave many questions un-answered.