• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN EDO-Engineering Duty Officer Option

Leon Chen

Hi guys,

Thank you for all helps I got from Airwarriors.com. I have questions about the path I am going for. I read through a lot of threads but mostly of them talk about SWO, INTEL, SUPPLY, SNA, PILOT, and NFO. My recruiter help me to sign up for the Engineering Duty Officer. I tried to google it online, but no much information has been found. I am hoping that I can get more information from you guys.

Thanks so much!

robav8r

None
Contributor
My recruiter help me to sign up for the Engineering Duty Officer. I tried to google it online, but no much information has been found.
Why, in the wide world of sports, would you let your recruiter "sign you up" for something you know nothing about?

Leon Chen

Ask your recruiter. Just like buying a house or a car, get the facts first before making a decision.

Sir, I did ask my recruiter. But he told me that this program is Top Secret that's why no much information in the public. And he does not know much about this program as well.

KBarthel

Unfortunately I cannot speak to it at all. I reached a similar problem with trying to learn more about intelligence. One of my parents was Intel and told me that most, if not all, of the specifics require a clearance. Try asking about the skills that are required to do their job (If you can find one), rather than asking what they do.

It helped me narrow down to INTEL as my field of choice.

Leon Chen

Unfortunately I cannot speak to it at all. I reached a similar problem with trying to learn more about intelligence. One of my parents was Intel and told me that most, if not all, of the specifics require a clearance. Try asking about the skills that are required to do their job (If you can find one), rather than asking what they do.

It helped me narrow down to INTEL as my field of choice.
Still, Thank though. I found out that EDO basically is same as SWO for the first four years.

Leon Chen

1. According to the MILPERSMAN 1212-040, "surface ED officer are required to qualify as a surface warfare officer and be within 6 months of promotion to O-3", does it mean that you need to be lieutenant before being and EDO?

2. Do submarine ED and Surface ED have equal opportunity to go to MIT for graduate school?

3. When can you go to graduate school? SWO/Sub -> ED -> Graduate School?

3. So basically, the first four years of EDO will be the same as SWO or Submarine Officer?

Thank you so much!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Your recruiter is an idiot for telling you it's Top Secret. That's some straight up bull shit.

EDO means that after you complete your first SWO tour you go off and work engineering jobs. These can include working in shipyards, NAVSEA, Program Offices, etc. essentially you'd be in career filed to gain increasing levels of experience in technical project management. EDOs also have the opportunity to get some top notch education such as MIT.

Leon Chen

Your recruiter is an idiot for telling you it's Top Secret. That's some straight up bull shit.

EDO means that after you complete your first SWO tour you go off and work engineering jobs. These can include working in shipyards, NAVSEA, Program Offices, etc. essentially you'd be in career filed to gain increasing levels of experience in technical project management. EDOs also have the opportunity to get some top notch education such as MIT.

Sir, I did some research and saw "MILPERSMAN 1212-040." In order to be EDO, it states one of the conditions that " be within at least 6 months of promotion to Lieutenant." But there is no way being a Lieutenant after first SWO tour. Or I am understanding it incorrectly. Forgive my english.

BigRed389

None
Are you going Active or Reserve?

Going straight in as EDO isn't a normal thing for Active duty but is pretty normal for Reserves.

And yes your recruiter is feeding you a load of bull about the Program being "TS."

Leon Chen

Are you going Active or Reserve?

Going straight in as EDO isn't a normal thing for Active duty but is pretty normal for Reserves.

And yes your recruiter is feeding you a load of bull about the Program being "TS."

Hmm. I am going active. Why is it normal for Reserves?>

Last edited: