• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN EDO-Engineering Duty Officer Option

BigRed389

None
I am hoping to get into the design/research.

Plain and simple, you won't be directly doing design/research.
You may manage/direct efforts, but you're not going to be in the lab.

If you want to do that, you should look into the Reserve side of EDO.
That's one of the reasons they pick up direct EDO accessions instead of requiring doing URL work first.

There is a fair chance you will end up working in a shipyard managing shipbuilding. I mean heavy industrial work.
If that's not something you're OK with at all...you may want to consider other options.

Yup, that is my goal as well. I want to go for Naval/Mechanical phd during the time of service. Do you know does Submarine officer and SWO have equal opportunities to go to MIT? In the 1212-040 I mentioned earlier, they mentioned MIT for submarine ED option but no in the Surface ED option.

If you WANT to go to MIT and you have the grades/GRE to get in, you will get it. The MIT track is for the Naval Architecture/Mech E focused curriculum. The "regular" NPS track gives you more options in curriculum.

Leon Chen

Plain and simple, you won't be directly doing design/research.
You may manage/direct efforts, but you're not going to be in the lab.

If you want to do that, you should look into the Reserve side of EDO.
That's one of the reasons they pick up direct EDO accessions instead of requiring doing URL work first.

There is a fair chance you will end up working in a shipyard managing shipbuilding. I mean heavy industrial work.
If that's not something you're OK with at all...you may want to consider other options.

If you WANT to go to MIT and you have the grades/GRE to get in, you will get it. The MIT track is for the Naval Architecture/Mech E focused curriculum. The "regular" NPS track gives you more options in curriculum.

Thanks! I do want to go for Naval Architecture/Mech E because my underg major was ME. I understand that design/research is a competitive program for all EDs. That's why I tried to google how to get in that area. But no much information was found.

Thanks!

Pags

N/A
pilot
if you want to do R&D I'd recommend looking in to civilian careers at ONR, NAVSEA engineering or perhaps with the OEMs as opposed to ACDU USN. Even if you do go to MIT I imagine you'd put that knowledge to use managing the engineering side of program as opposed to doing actual design. That means much more ppt, email, and sitting at a desk than it does playing in a lab or some water tunnel.

Leon Chen

if you want to do R&D I'd recommend looking in to civilian careers at ONR, NAVSEA engineering or perhaps with the OEMs as opposed to ACDU USN. Even if you do go to MIT I imagine you'd put that knowledge to use managing the engineering side of program as opposed to doing actual design. That means much more ppt, email, and sitting at a desk than it does playing in a lab or some water tunnel.

I see. Thanks for these info. I will consider that. Another reason I consider Navy is that I really dont want cause too much financial burden to my family (my wife).