• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Earning Warfare Qualifications as an Intel Officer?

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
So I was pro-rec'd for SWO and Intel. I'm going for Intel, but was wondering if anyone knows if it's still possible to earn a SWO pin as an Intel Officer--even if it might take, obviously, much longer than if one were just a SWO (I have time, I'm planning on my career in the Navy, not skipping out after my required four years).

I was originally going to go SWO, have that experience until it turned me into a spinster, and eventually try a lat-xfer. However, everyone I've spoken to said if you want to to Intel and get selected, you want to go that route, and not to take the risk of not being able to lateral transfer later on. So is it possible to remain in the Intel designator but still earn warfare qualifications by doing more sea duty, going to the SWO school, etc? Or are you stuck in your awesome but pinless restricted line?

Anyone got some gouge on this?

P3 F0

None
You're stuck if you go Intel. You'll have enough on your plate with that world, anyway. Way back when, they used to let aviators get a pin while on cruise, if they were motivated (not sure if this is still allowed). I don't know if that courtesy was granted for Intel folks as well (not sure if you're legally able to even get a warfare qual if you're RL). If so, that's the most you could ever really hope for, aside from the lat xfer. You will not be going to SWOS.

I wouldn't worry so much about the pin (it's important, but it's not everything), as the job, career progression and advancement potential, and kind of life you want to lead. Look at each community and decide on those merits.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why is the SWO pin so important to you? It only signifies that one can drive a ship. I don't think intel officers do much shipdriving, though.

Shpion1

Contributor
chance is slim with posibility of never

Not very likely. Only boat you'd likely get orders to would be a carrier, or get to a carrier via squadron. Either way, you will have your plate full of enough other work that would preclude you from dedicating enough to SWO quals. Also, the SWO daddies have clamped down on "outsiders" getting the SWO qual. It used to be some of the SH Airwing LTs would work on underway OOD, EOOW, and other type quals leading to SWO, but not in a while.

Depending on what type of squadron you get orders to, you may or may not get the opportunity to get NAO (Observer) qualifications. Several other threads here. . Whether you do get in the program or don't, recommend you fly with your squadron if you can and learn the mission, capabilities etc. Will make you a much better AIO. If you have some dead time in your training, see if you can get to jump school. I've seen weirder stuff happen

Good luck.

PS. +1 on going intel first vs hoping for a lat xfer later.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think they have changed the policy. I think they now let IWO's earn a SWO pin. I came across the instruction recently, but couldn't figure if it was just IWO's or included more than them OR if this was the leading edge of a larger change.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I was thinking the same thing, ang. I was pro-rec'd for both as well, and although I enthusiastically chose Intel, the lack of a warfare qual bothered me a bit. Until I saw a recent thread about NAO wings with a favorable outcome for FlyinSpy, at which point I decided that I would eventually try to shoot for that. I think the thread title was "Flight rated intel officer?" It's pretty cool, check it out.

And hopefully, see you in Newport and/or Virginia :D

torpedo0126

Way back when, they used to let aviators get a pin while on cruise, if they were motivated (not sure if this is still allowed).

Its still allowed for aviators but it depends on the ship/command. I have a friend on the Blue Ridge over in Japan, and he said the helo pilots will sometimes do it...they usually make the 'board' easier because they know they are an aviator and won't be the OOD very often.

I imagine you would have to be on a small boy as well.

torpedo0126

Also, RESIST the temptation to get caught up in the 'chest candy' already. Make it through OCS first, then your intel school, and work hard at 'moving to the right' on your FITREPs.

Face the fact that as a non-prior ENS your going to have that little 'pizza stain' on your chest for awhile...especially when you see priors with their four rows of ribbons and 3 warfare pins or Academy guys with their meritorious unit citation award.

If you work hard, burn the midnight oil, and take advantage of volunteer opportunities you too will get the bling.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Its still allowed for aviators but it depends on the ship/command. I have a friend on the Blue Ridge over in Japan, and he said the helo pilots will sometimes do it...they usually make the 'board' easier because they know they are an aviator and won't be the OOD very often.

I imagine you would have to be on a small boy as well.

I thought I remember reading somewhere around AW (probably somewhere close to the end of the internets) that Aviators were no longer allowed to earn the SWO pin, and the resultant jabbing at SWOs by saying it was because they were pissed that aviators could get the SWO pin but SWOs couldn't get wings (ya, SWO-daddy! Go to flight school in your spare time on the ship!)

:D

torpedo0126

I thought I remember reading somewhere around AW (probably somewhere close to the end of the internets) that Aviators were no longer allowed to earn the SWO pin, and the resultant jabbing at SWOs by saying it was because they were pissed that aviators could get the SWO pin but SWOs couldn't get wings (ya, SWO-daddy! Go to flight school in your spare time on the ship!)

:D

you might be right...thats why I said it might just be a ship/command thing.

My friend is at SWOS right now (spoke with him last night) and this (coincidentally actually) my friend mentioned. He said it was one helo pilot and the OOD board didn't grill him as much because they knew he was doing it for the chest lead and not because he was going to be driving ships.

snake020

Contributor
Go Intel. Nobody cares about SWO pins except for SWOs. Safe yourself the headache of the SWO life. If you really want to learn to be a SWO as an Intel officer, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to put you on the watchbill and let you work on the OOD underway PQS.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Several years ago, I saw an instruction restricting SWO pins only to SWOs. EOD officers used to get them while assigned to ships as well, but they do not any more.

On a more philosophical note - I am an intel officer with no pins, and I am happy that way. This is not meant harshly, but just to explain how my perspective has changed since I was a young Ensign.

This job is about helping your unit manage information in order to stay alive and trying to be the best officer you can under changing circumstances. Not pins.

A tac-air squadron will not usually be able to fly you enough in two years to get the NAO wings - not their fault, just the readiness matrix demands. Intel is not a true warfare area, and so there is really no need to have a SWO pin or any other warfare pin. To take the initiative and study the tactics of the line officers you work with - yes. But you don't need the qual yourself.

You will prove yourself when you go on your first deployment. After that you will "belong" and have your campaign medals and SSDR, which is plenty of chest candy. You will impress people by being excellent at your primary job, caring enough to help them do theirs, and performing well while deployed - not by unrelated accomplishments.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I can't speak for ang (especially since she's talking about a SWO qual and I'm talking about a NAO qual- but I think she and I probably agree), but I know for me it's not so much a chest candy issue as just wanting to have the option to learn something new. I could be completely misjudging the NAO qualification, but I got the impression that it would give me the opportunity to better understand the community to which I would (most likely) be providing support. And if I got anything out of reading the threads about Intel life, it's that the more understanding I have about the aviation community, the better I'll be at my job. To be honest, I don't even care about getting the pin, I just think it would be cool to go through the process and learn about a different aspect of the Navy, while potentially greatly improving my usefulness as an Intel O. I won't be heartbroken if I can't do it, but if I understand correctly, I think it would make me more effective.

torpedo0126

I can't speak for ang (especially since she's talking about a SWO qual and I'm talking about a NAO qual- but I think she and I probably agree), but I know for me it's not so much a chest candy issue as just wanting to have the option to learn something new. I could be completely misjudging the NAO qualification, but I got the impression that it would give me the opportunity to better understand the community to which I would (most likely) be providing support. And if I got anything out of reading the threads about Intel life, it's that the more understanding I have about the aviation community, the better I'll be at my job. To be honest, I don't even care about getting the pin, I just think it would be cool to go through the process and learn about a different aspect of the Navy, while potentially greatly improving my usefulness as an Intel O. I won't be heartbroken if I can't do it, but if I understand correctly, I think it would make me more effective.

I certainly did not mean it that way. Hell, if I manage to finish up flight school I would interested in earning a SWO pin too!

The thing I was trying to mention is that I believe neither have you have attended OCS yet, earned a commission or become an intel officers, but your asking the availability of earning a SWO pin/NAO wings...First thing that came to my mind is why are they worrying about earning a SWO pin as an intel officer when they haven't even been commissioned yet? You 'want to learn something new'...well your going to be an intelligence officer! I'm sure they are going to through plenty of new stuff at you.

Take it a step at a time. Having been served multiple tall glasses of STFU (both in person and a few on this site) worry about getting where you need to be before taking on extra stuff.

Just some reflection from a young butterbar Ensign. Good luck at OCS.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
O I totally agree. In fact, when I congratulated FlyinSpy on getting NAO wings, I said "I hope I can pull that off eventually, too... Of course, I still have to go to OCS and actually become an Intel Officer first haha, but I guess it won't hurt to start crossing my fingers now." I know I have waaaayyyyy more things to worry about before I even get close to this. It's just one of those "now that you mention it..." kind of things. Someone brought it up, and it got me thinking. Plus, I'm an overachiever haha. Just something else to look forward to.

Thanks for your insight, it's definitely wise. And thanks for the good luck wishes! :)