• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Earning Warfare Qualifications as an Intel Officer?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't mean to make it seem like shipdriving is the only part of the SWO qualification, but that's the most emphasized part of it. A buddy of mine's SWO board was "take us from Norfolk to the Persian Gulf...go."
That's how many boards are....scenario based. Do you realize the number of things that you can be tested on based on a trip from Norfolk to the Gulf that has nothing to do with ship driving?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWO boards cover OOD but also encompass much, much more. You have to know your current ship in extreme DETAIL. You have to know every class of ship, submarine, and aircraft the Navy has, what type of radars, propulsion systems, and the weapons systems they have and how/what they can be used for. You have to know the differences in ships, subs, and ac and why some are more advantages in some situations than others (ie would you rather have a CG or DG as an air defense commander and why, what is the difference between DDG flight I, flight II, and flight IIA, etc). You also get asked questions about CSG's, ESG's, air ops, amphibious ops, etc. I had to "draw" different types of operations and explain what everything means (what is a stovepipe, what are the flight patters of aircraft when you are doing x type of ops, what is a chip light, what does a LHD carry, what about and LSD, for this amphibious assault, why did you place these ships there, if you are going through the SOH, what order will you put the ships in and why, etc). You also get asked supply questions, general admin, and on and on. Pretty much anything is game.
I think I just had a flashback to Nam :scared_12

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm checking in for my Disassociated tour this month. I have already been told that the CO will sign the paperwork for 1300's to get their SWO Pin and that once it is your record nothing can be done. I know what the instructions say, I'm just repeating what I was told. I have heard of CO's telling priors to wear both their pins as well (Pilot and EAWS or SWO and ESWS.)
Your CO can tell you whatever the fuck he wants to tell you and sign whatever he wants to sign. It's not up to him. That's a PERS decision to not allow "SWO quals" to be entered into your record. Why would you want to qualify SWO anyway? You're an aviator.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, it's the fuck-sticks who go out of their way to get the odd, out of the way qual who have fucked it up for the rest of us. Now, because a few eager beavers back in the day decided it would be cool to get OOD underway, it is now all but mandatory to screen for aviation command. So, when you're thinking about how cool you're going to be when you decide you want X qual, think about all the other poor bastards who will eventually be forced to get it down the road.

Not directed @ you, Squirrel - just venting.

Brett
OOD U/W required for aviation command. Yea, that makes perfect sense.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Your CO can tell you whatever the fuck he wants to tell you and sign whatever he wants to sign. It's not up to him. That's a PERS decision to not allow "SWO quals" to be entered into your record. Why would you want to qualify SWO anyway? You're an aviator.

I didn't say I wanted it. I just checked in to the ship today. As I said in the post that you quoted it is what I was told. I would much rather where my EAWS pin. Even if I had a SWO pin I would never wear it. I avoid Khakis as much as possible.

P3 F0

None
Even if I had a SWO pin I would never wear it. I avoid Khakis as much as possible.
Well, that makes zero sense. If you went through the pain of getting a pin (and it was legally OK to wear it, which it isn't), then you'd be a fool not wear the thing with pride. As for myself, if I was stationed on a ship, and it was legit to get one, and I was already qual'd, I'd definitely go for one. I find the SWO world to be a bit horrifying, but I respect the hell out of what they do, how much they have to know, the responsibility they have, and the wide gulf between how much actual leading a typical SWO JO does vs. JO pilot or NFO. YMMV.