• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ear Blockage?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've had kind of a strange feeling of ear blockage when I poke or pull around the "hole" (for lack of a more clinical term) of one of my ears. Not normal, but not associated with a cold, pain, allergies or really any other symptoms, and it only occurs when I actually physically touch my ear, or when I make a full lock turn of the head in the direction opposite of the ear. Just finished PA's and ended up doing a lot of extremely rapid climbs and descents for the last week or so, so my guess is that I formed some sort of blockage. I'm not going to be on the flight sked for at least the next 5 days, so I am looking for a way to make it go away before I have to officially down myself. Any tips?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I'm not going to be on the flight sked for at least the next 5 days, so I am looking for a way to make it go away before I have to officially down myself. Any tips?

Not on the flight schedule means your OPSO/Flight Leader won't care if you can't fly. It is a good time to see the doc. You most likely can have the problem resolved by your next flight. If your eustachian tube or middle ear is getting infected you will be down longer the longer you wait. FWIW, a no shit diagnosed ear infection from the flight doc isn't viewed like some of the well known BS down chits. Your eyes and ears are too important to try and just man up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
if it hurts when you do that, then don't do that.

just kidding. go see the doc, and don't fly till you get it cleared up. I flew with a sinus block once and it was the most painful experience I could think of at that time (ice pick to the face would have been a relief). I don't know if ears are the same, but I know I won't risk it again.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could be serous otitis media (sp?). I had this once from rapid climbs and descents, basically some fluid in your ear.

Get a few days R&R off the flight schedule by seeing the FS.

You don't want it to get worse and cause you any vertigo sensations when flying.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's interesting you mentioned that Schnugg, cause I had vertigo after each flight last week......it didn't happen until I was back on deck, but as I was walking back to my car I felt a little bit dizzy or something. Just chocked it up to all the head tossing and PA work....

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
It's interesting you mentioned that Schnugg, cause I had vertigo after each flight last week......it didn't happen until I was back on deck, but as I was walking back to my car I felt a little bit dizzy or something. Just chocked it up to all the head tossing and PA work....

I'd say that's just about doc time.

MasterBates

I've had that, tried to fly with it and ended up with a painful ear that would not clear.

See the doc.

(if I am recommending you see a doc, it's not BS, as my flightdocophobia is well documented)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

Another vote to see the doc. Could be the beginning of a URI.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Images of that old proctocologist in the movie Fletch are coming to mind....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Alright gents, I appreciate the help. I'll go get it checked out.....maybe I should switch to new earplugs a little bit more often in the future rather than using old dirty/greasy ones :eek:

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
cball5.jpg

Jack Elam from the Cannonball Run.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Alright gents, I appreciate the help. I'll go get it checked out.....maybe I should switch to new earplugs a little bit more often in the future rather than using old dirty/greasy ones :eek:

Or you can get reusable ones and just clean them as needed.

Like these.

FAM_ULTRAFIT_WCORD_EARPLUGS-2758.jpg

And yes using nasty earplugs can certainly lead to an infection. Seen it.

sickboy

pilot
I used to get ear blockages when SCUBA diving. I rolled up a piece of paper and put it in my ear. Then lit the other end on fire. I kid you not, it moves a lot of ear wax.