• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EA-6B Crashes in Oregon

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just coming over the AP wire ... a Navy EA-6B crashes in eastern Oregon --- the graphic showed Umatilla County --- where the old Boardman bombing range was located and several low level routes begin/terminate ..... initial report said "all four crewmen ejected" ....

Follows .....

Navy plane crashes in Oregon, four escape, officials say
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
PENDLETON, Ore. -- A Navy jet crashed in the remote northeastern corner of Oregon during a routine training mission Friday but all four crew members on board survived, officials said.

The EA-6B Prowler from the Naval Air Station at Whidbey Island crashed north of Pendleton near the Washington state border just before 11:30 a.m., according to the Navy and Umatilla County officials in Pendleton.

All four crew members ejected safely, said Kimberly Martin, a Navy spokeswoman at Whidbey Island, near Seattle.

The cause of the accident was under investigation.

The plane was flying at low altitude but there is "not typically anything in the area that perhaps it would have hit," said Cheryl Seigal, spokeswoman for the Umatilla County sheriff's office.

Training runs by military aircraft are common in the area, Seigal told Northwest Cable News in Seattle.

A Navy Web site says the EA-6B Prowler was first stationed at Whidbey Island in 1971 and deployed to Vietnam in 1972.

The electronic warfare plane carries a pilot and three tactical crew members who can jam enemy radar and communications while providing countermeasures to defend against radar-guided guns and missiles, according to the Naval Historical Center site.

In November 2001, a Prowler jet flown out of Whidbey Island crashed on the Olympic Peninsula, followed a week later by the similar crash of a Prowler flown by Marines out of Cherry Point, N.C. Both crews ejected safely and suffered only minor injuries.

A Navy investigation found that the crashes were caused by a defective bearing in the right engine that years earlier had been recommended for redesign.

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
That's in our congressional district... thanks. I'll brief the Congressman on that now.

selmacf7

Side question: Has a report been released yet on the T-34 that went down in Corpus? Still interested to know what happened? How long does the investigation process typically take with the Navy/Military in general?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Stand-by to Stand-down, gents .....

UPDATE:

Navy orders aircraft grounded for safety review

The Associated Press
WASHINGTON – Plagued by a series of helicopter and jet crashes in recent months, the Navy said Friday it will ground all its aircraft for half a day next week for an internal safety review.

The safety stand down will affect 3,800 aircraft and thousands of naval aviation personnel, including aircraft on 12 carriers around the world. It is the first time since September 1997 that such a pause in flight operations across the Navy has been ordered.

Grounding the flights is not related to any specific equipment or flying problem, the Navy said, but rather is a way to refocus on safety, risk management and other procedures.

Since Oct. 1, there have been nine major crashes that resulted in loss or life or of the aircraft. Nine aircraft were destroyed and 10 naval aviators were killed. During the same period a year ago, there were eight major crashes.

All naval aviation squadrons will be required to complete the safety review by the end of next week, but no particular day is being designated.

The most recent accident occurred Friday when a Navy jet crashed in the remote northeastern corner of Oregon. The pilot was rescued after ejecting (note: "they" -- the media ---never can get it right, right??? ALL FOUR made it out of the aircraft --- as per the local news update. But then, do THEY have it right?? ) In early February, another Navy pilot was rescued after his F/A-18 Hornet jet crashed into the water near Key West. And in late January, a Navy pilot and his student were killed when their training plane crashed just south of Naval Air Station Corpus Christi in Texas.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
wow....we just drove by the boardman MOA today at almost that exact same time....

hope everyone got out in good shape (sounds like they did)....

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I thought it was a Marine hornet pilot down in Key West? It says all "Naval Aviation Squadrons" will conduct a safety standdown....I'm guessing this is including Marine squadrons? Geez, seems like we have these SS's every couple of months anymore.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well of course. If we don't fly, we can't have mishaps. Can't you see that?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jameski said:
That's in our congressional district... thanks. I'll brief the Congressman on that now.
Does this mean you surf the Air Warriors forum while at work? Hmmmmmm?? :D

squeeze said:
Well of course. If we don't fly, we can't have mishaps. Can't you see that?
Yes, yes...you gotta love the logic

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
jboomer said:
I thought it was a Marine hornet pilot down in Key West? It says all "Naval Aviation Squadrons" will conduct a safety standdown....I'm guessing this is including Marine squadrons? Geez, seems like we have these SS's every couple of months anymore.

Great, yet another pop-up to screw up the weekly sked we wrote.

I love the idea of safety standarounds. Of course having DSS crap out a couple of hip-pocket classes on spatial-d, NVGs, and so forth will enhance safety. "Okay, we're going to be really, REALLY, safe this time." "Oh, we need to be more safe? Like we're TRYING to run planes into the ground."

Last month after a few Marines offed themselves, we had to canx the sked to talk about suicide. If you don't know what to do, call a meeting. Then you can at least say you did something.

Change SOPs/policies in a thoughtfull, non-kneejerk fashion, fund more flight hours for proficiency, buy new a/c or equipment? No, let's have a day fighting sleep in the base theater. That will help.

beau

hope it doest not screw with the CQ det....I should be done with my stuff by Wed...alot of people are going to be trying to qual later in the week!

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
Haha...you caught me Steve! :) There's always time to check Airwarriors, right?! :icon_tong

mike bennett

Prowler loss - 3rd March 2006

Dear Forum members,

Can anyone confirm that there was a female crew member who ejected
aboard the Whidbey Island NAS Prowler from VAQ 135?
Any further details of the crew names, photos appreciated

Regards

Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk
www.ejection-history.org.uk