• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EA-6B anthro restrictions

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, especially in the front seat where most guys will adjust the seat higher than if they're in the back. You get used to it and really don't sit with your head back that far into the headrest.

Brett

I am not that tall, 5'8", but my helmet was always hitting the top handle, especially in the front seat like Brett said. I actually became comfortable with it after a while, you knew your seat was high enough when you felt it.....:D

It was a bit of trade off, you knew you should be lower but you did what you needed to do......;) Plus, I think at least the past 5 crews that have punched out have all been fine (am I right?).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not that tall, 5'8", but my helmet was always hitting the top handle, especially in the front seat like Brett said. I actually became comfortable with it after a while, you knew your seat was high enough when you felt it.....:D

It was a bit of trade off, you knew you should be lower but you did what you needed to do......;) Plus, I think at least the past 5 crews that have punched out have all been fine (am I right?).

There hasn't been a Prowler fatality since the S-3 vs. Prowler on the flight deck incident. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but the conventional wisdom from the community is that there has never been an "in-envelope" Prowler ejection which has resulted in a fatality. I witnessed the lost brakes/ejection mishap on Stennis which was pretty surreal, but all in all, the Prowler is a pretty safe jet to punch out of. For those of you who know Slick, he was drinking in The Brown picking up chicks with his b!tchin' story the night after his ejection over the Oly. :D They say your statistical odds are 1 in 7 over a 20 year career - don't fvck it up.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There hasn't been a Prowler fatality since the S-3 vs. Prowler on the flight deck incident. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but the conventional wisdom from the community is that there has never been an "in-envelope" Prowler ejection which has resulted in a fatality. I witnessed the lost brakes/ejection mishap on Stennis which was pretty surreal, but all in all, the Prowler is a pretty safe jet to punch out of. For those of you who know Slick, he was drinking in The Brown picking up chicks with his b!tchin' story the night after his ejection over the Oly. :D They say your statistical odds are 1 in 7 over a 20 year career - don't fvck it up.

Brett

There were 5 ECMO's in my RAG class including me, two of them have punched out so far. One was the Marine stud in the back of Slick's jet, had a grand total of 8.9 hours in the Prowler :eek:. His injury was the worst I had heard of lately, bad seat slap that made him a gimp for about 2 months, just a deep bruise though (tall guy, threw his feet back instead of forward). The next was the 135 jet off the boat (Nimitz?). Same cause for both....:(

The funny part was that both guys were tall, black and skinny, but looked nothing alike. For the rest of the time in the RAG the Navy guy had all sorts of guys come up to him and ask him how his leg was, even though he was the wrong guy. It became a running joke between them and the rest of us in the class.....then he punched out a year later.....:confused:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It's funny how everyone who is (or was, however you want to look at it) anthro'ed out of Prowlers always said, "Prowlers aren't that bad. I'd fly them and be happy." Now that they are no longer anthro'ed they are sh*tting a brick and walking around like someone just kicked their dog.

Some of my friends in TS are worried because they are the correct height for them. By the time a person gets to advanced they should understand "the needs of the Navy".
If the idea of flying prowlers scares a stud that much, maybe they should DOR. There are worse things to fly...

There really isn't any reason for people in A pool, or API or even primary to concern themselves with this (except for maybe Marine SNFO's since its half of their selection choice... even then it shouldnt be given anymore then a passing thought). They should worry about sucessfully making it through flight school- way too many oppertunities to attrite or get NPQ'd prior to selection- even then jet selections aren't a garuntee.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of my friends in TS are worried because they are the correct height for them. By the time a person gets to advanced they should understand "the needs of the Navy".
If the idea of flying prowlers scares a stud that much, maybe they should DOR. There are worse things to fly...

Agreed. But I think once you hit TS, the whole "I'm going to be a fighter pilot" bug hits a lot of guys, even those who didn't have it before. Heck, I wanted to fly Hornets until midway through the TS syllabus. But when it comes down to it, it's grey, it's a jet, and it has a hook on the back. What's to complain about? And besides, the patch just looks so much cooler anyway . . . :icon_tong

BrianUSMC

A closed mouth gathers no feet.
pilot
Not sure on the actual measurements, but we just got word today that the restrictions will be changed (lessened) in the very near future for the EA-6B. No joke.

Apparently too many people were NPQed out of them recently so they are going to change them (read taller people will be allowed in them).

Not sure about the Marines, but if the Navy loosens the restrictions on height I don't see why the Marines wouldn't go right along. It's the same jet.

-jai5w4

One of our new wingers was walking around last week updating the list of marines NPQd from prowlers... he said he was told by the Senior Marine and CO that the restrictions are soon to change.

As of now I am NPQ for prowlers... i'll let you know next week! :eek:

LtFluco

I just started API last week and about 6 Lts out of 10 were anthroed out of Prowlers, including my self. The ones that weren't were all in the 5'6" to 5'10" range. So, it if it is going to loosen up it hasn't happend yet.

ELCID05

Im in primary right now and the Marines in the class were told today that the standards had changed. The physiologist from the wind had already ammended their anthro restrictions in their NATOPS folders. I think two were too tall before the change and now everyone in the class is within standards.

scarnuts

OUCH!
I'm in C-pool at Wing 6 and supposedly they have amended ours. As of yesterday I am still 1.6" too tall for the EA-6B(USN) though.

dP

I asked around my squadron today, and the instructors weren't aware of the anthro change, despite the rumors spreading like wildfire around the student ready room. I was referred to Student Control, and after a quick check of my folder, the anthro restrictions have indeed been changed. The anthro document in my NATOPS jacket referenced a CNATRA directive, but I did not have the opportunity to see the new limits. As a result, I am no longer anthroed out of Prowlers. My anthro sheet was amended by a flight surgeon, and the rumors are in fact true. I was told that other students who were previously ineligible for Prowlers in VT-10 should be expecting phone calls shortly to inform them of the change.

For those of you interested, I'm 73 inches of pure stud.

JBird

TBS Charlie Co./ SNFO
Hey guys,

I was just down at NOMI for my flight physical this last weekend and I found out that they have the ortho measurements for the Prowler incorrect. Therefore, not too many people are going to be NPQ'd out of the Prowler now. This also came from some NFO's we talked to down there as well. They thought they were ortho'd out of Prowler and would only be going Hornets, that is not the case any more they said. So that is the news down in Pensacola.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I asked around my squadron today, and the instructors weren't aware of the anthro change, despite the rumors spreading like wildfire around the student ready room. I was referred to Student Control, and after a quick check of my folder, the anthro restrictions have indeed been changed. The anthro document in my NATOPS jacket referenced a CNATRA directive, but I did not have the opportunity to see the new limits. As a result, I am no longer anthroed out of Prowlers. My anthro sheet was amended by a flight surgeon, and the rumors are in fact true. I was told that other students who were previously ineligible for Prowlers in VT-10 should be expecting phone calls shortly to inform them of the change.

For those of you interested, I'm 73 inches of pure stud.

The fact that DQ (CNATRA) is an ECMO may have something to do with greasing the skids on this.

Brett