• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E7 uniforms

froggystyle

hey all, new poster to the site but I have been searching for info for a while. Searched for a thread related to the question I have, however, haven’t found a recent one (last decade or so). I’m an active SEAL chief and was wondering what uniform items will I bring with me to OCS? More specifically, am I bringing anchors or anything stitched onto my NWU’s? I’ve seen pictures of Officer Candidates with their own insignia so I was wondering if I need to take all of my uniforms to the seamstress to get patches removed etc (rating badge of SDBs, or trident off of NWUs, etc). Or will the uniform faeries in Newport remove unnecessary patches and insignia for me during uniform issue? Appreciate all the help!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
hey all, new poster to the site but I have been searching for info for a while. Searched for a thread related to the question I have, however, haven’t found a recent one (last decade or so). I’m an active SEAL chief and was wondering what uniform items will I bring with me to OCS? More specifically, am I bringing anchors or anything stitched onto my NWU’s? I’ve seen pictures of Officer Candidates with their own insignia so I was wondering if I need to take all of my uniforms to the seamstress to get patches removed etc (rating badge of SDBs, or trident off of NWUs, etc). Or will the uniform faeries in Newport remove unnecessary patches and insignia for me during uniform issue? Appreciate all the help!
Any uniform item you can use will really only need the rank changed. You still wear all of your earned warfare devices and medals/ribbons, when proscribed.

You may be required to buy new stuff (that you already have) to get through RLP. It’s been a few years for me (2006) but I would say show up with a couple full sets of ribbons/medals and warfare devices, and maybe a spare set of broccoliflauge in the car.

I didn’t wear any of my old uniforms, as I was only an E-5, and only the Johnny Cash’ would’ve been wearable for me as an E/O.

Good luck, enjoy OCS, at least try to pretend it’s hard for you...

Pickle

froggystyle

Haha thanks Pickle, yeah unfortunately I made the mistake of having my orders fly me in. Tickets in hand already so it would be hard to change. I’ll inspect my uniforms and see what I can get away with. I’ve only ever worn dress uniforms a handful of times due to us not getting in them much so I’m assuming they are close to immaculate. Would you say 2 racks of ribbons and medals each ok?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Haha thanks Pickle, yeah unfortunately I made the mistake of having my orders fly me in. Tickets in hand already so it would be hard to change. I’ll inspect my uniforms and see what I can get away with. I’ve only ever worn dress uniforms a handful of times due to us not getting in them much so I’m assuming they are close to immaculate. Would you say 2 racks of ribbons and medals each ok?
I’d think so.

Have a shiny set for inspection/graduation and an every day set for...well...every day.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Froggy, my info is a little dated as well but I drove my car to Newport back in '08. I know a lot has changed, but during check in and before the fun and games kicked off they gave us the opportunity to put stuff in our cars before moving them to the long term parking lot. Guys who flew in made quick friends with those that drove and we stored stuff for them in our cars (cell phones, bags, etc.). Your class probably has their own facespace group as well. Good way to make a few friends before you go, just be careful what you say as there are probably at least one or two spies in there doing recon to gather ammo for indoc

froggystyle

Jeez, this sounds more and more fun the closer I get to leaving....I suppose they probably don’t know any better though, however, I’ll just keep my mouth shut until I can figure out who is who. Thanks for the response Mr Blonde

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Dang it, your screen name made me think of "Ice Froggy Frog" and now I have that running through my head.

froggystyle

As far as gear packing, do you want to bring a pair of uniform shoes and NWU boots already shined up or will that be a waste of time to do ahead of time?

I graduated in August and it was all up to your class team on what uniforms were acceptable. All of our priors had to buy at least one set of NWUs. Bring your uniforms and they will let you know. Your dress uniforms will probably be fine. It is a great idea to have polished boots and shoes when you arrive if you already own them.

froggystyle

I graduated in August and it was all up to your class team on what uniforms were acceptable. All of our priors had to buy at least one set of NWUs. Bring your uniforms and they will let you know. Your dress uniforms will probably be fine. It is a great idea to have polished boots and shoes when you arrive if you already own them.
Awesome, do you know what boot type is issued? Bates 922 (non steel toe) like BUD/S students or something else?

I just graduated last Friday and was running the lucky bag room during Indoc processing for 08-18. The uniforms you'll use at OCS are Type 3s (NWU and Parka/liner), all weather jacket, relaxed fit jacket, Khakis, and SDB. Bring what you have. They will inspect your uniform during processing. Anything that doesn't get approved will be stored in your luckybag. We are issued Belleville 360ST, it would definitely help save time if they were polished already. Bring your rating badge,trident, and ribbons, you'll be wearing midshipmen anchors while at OCS.

PS. There's currently a SEAL Chief in 07-18 and he pretty much had everything and was mostly good to go.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All this is amusing. Back in the day everything was issued. You showed up with nothing but the short on your back. All priors got new stuff issued just like the rest of us. Only concession was they got to wear whatever eye candy they hard earned before, but not until after out posting. Oh well. Suppose current procedure saves the gov a few bucks.

Good luck Chief.