• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-6 going away

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice thing about the C130 (I think) is that its slower speed would give a tighter radius turn and a better drooping antenna.
As much as I liked to geek out about tactics back in my day, when I think about a 707 in a full-flaps pylon turn at like 225 knots versus a C-130 in a full-flaps pylon turn at like 180 knots, I have to think this is the equivalent of a bunch of medieval monks arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Edit: except the monks didn't have to argue about the fuel flow of a bunch of turbofans vs a bunch of turboprops. God help them; theology was probably easier.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
As much as I liked to geek out about tactics back in my day, when I think about a 707 in a full-flaps pylon turn at like 225 knots versus a C-130 in a full-flaps pylon turn at like 180 knots, I have to think this is the equivalent of a bunch of medieval monks arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Edit: except the monks didn't have to argue about the fuel flow of a bunch of turbofans vs a bunch of turboprops. God help them; theology was probably easier.
It sounds like it, but turn radius varies as v^2, so for the same angle of bank the turn radius of the C-130 is only 65% or so of the Big White Bird's. That and the tether just dangles better at slower speeds, so you get a twofer. Mount a cannon on the C-130 and you can shoot pirates while you're at it.

Picturing turning fight between the two...like of a couple of old fighter pilots in wheelchairs.

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
It sounds like it, but turn radius varies as v^2, so for the same angle of bank the turn radius of the C-130 is only 65% or so of the Big White Bird's. That and the tether just dangles better at slower speeds, so you get a twofer. Mount a cannon on the C-130 and you can shoot pirates while you're at it.

Picturing turning fight between the two...like of a couple of old fighter pilots in wheelchairs.
The vast majority of submarine contacts are visual. You could shoot bad subs while talking to good subs.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

If it makes any difference, I have "fought" a C-130 in an F/A-18. Seeing that big old girl roll into what looked like a 90 deg AOB and break into me was a wild sight. Their apparent turn radius was pretty impressive, though it made really no difference in that particular situation.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
If it makes any difference, I have "fought" a C-130 in an F/A-18. Seeing that big old girl roll into what looked like a 90 deg AOB and break into me was a wild sight. Their apparent turn radius was pretty impressive, though it made really no difference in that particular situation.

In my China Lake days, I ran a couple of gunnery drills against a Herc in the low altitude environment. With that straight wing, they can turn surprisingly well for such a big airplane, and they know how to take advantage of the navigator’s “bubble” to spot an incoming threat (in this case, me). My intended quarry knew how to use terrain to their advantage. I found I could get one quick snapshot opportunity about half the time, but once they started turning, it became nearly impossible to (safely) ensure a gun solution.

It was a fun event, and both sides learned a lot. Of course missiles and ground fire are a whole different story.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Old Herky is a lot more nimble than she looks, Sort of like a fat girl who has been to dance school.