• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-6 going away

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it totally back to the future then? What about the joint mission they have been flying?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Is it totally back to the future then? What about the joint mission they have been flying?
My understanding is that they are going back to doing boomers only, but I could be very misinformed.

HuggyU2

None
Don't forget reflective belts
... says the Service that wears flight helmets on the airport ramp while doing a walk around... and at the same time wearing the worst ejection seat harness ever invented... carrying every piece of water survival equipment known to man around their horse collar... while getting ready to fly a sortie over the Mojave Desert in the middle of the summer.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
says the Service that wears flight helmets on the airport ramp while doing a walk around
I can defend this even though I was among many who found a reason not to wear a helmet walking around a plane. Maybe it is more common now. But it has to be true that you are not exempt from hearing damage because you are pre-flighting a plane. Bet you have been on a CV deck during flight ops. Noisy?

The rest of your comment...I got nothing. Touche.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
... says the Service that wears flight helmets on the airport ramp while doing a walk around... and at the same time wearing the worst ejection seat harness ever invented... carrying every pierce of water survival equipment known to man around their horse collar... while getting ready to fly a sortie over the Mojave Desert in the middle of the summer.

I don’t know, the dorkiness of reflective belts and other uniform silliness is a different type of stupid, which is in the same vein as chastising Navy guys for being more lax with uniform rules.

Sure, the harness can be stupidly uncomfortable, but to your other point, the vast majority of the flying in Naval Aviation is around….water. Even our land based/training aircraft do a ton of their flying over/ in the vicinity of water so it makes sense to have those components. The “over the desert” comment seems oddly specific for a Naval Service, whereas glow belts are a USAF-wide policy, no?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding is that they are going back to doing boomers only, but I could be very misinformed.
According to Combat Aircraft, it looks like the EC-130J is more of a test at this point, but may become the replacement towards the end of the decade. They just upgraded the E-6s, so I’d be surprised if they’ll retire them in the short term. Curious to see if any of our resident E-6 bubbas have any amplifying information.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
All of the 707 airframes are going away. I think we all saw the hieroglyphics forecasting this on the wall of the API building in 2009.
I'm surprised it took this long.

My brother, an E-3 guy, is headed to Australia for 3 years to get all of the E-7 quals he can so he and a few others can be the initial cadre of IPs at the FTU at Tinker.

The failure here is that Navy leadership didn't have a plan to replace the TACAMO. 1960s airplanes with 1980s tech don't really belong in a 2025 world- just like horse drawn carriages didn't belong in WW2.