• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm with you in that the RAG will probably be VMMT-204, at least on the East Coast. I imagine that there could be a Navy-Marine Corps RAG on the West Coast too. The assets would be shared between USN and USMC type V-22s at the RAGs (the MV-22 and the Navy V-22 would of course be seperate models).

If you were to organize it all under VR, how would it work? Would you have an active component and a reserve component? Would NALO support the movement of V-22 dets outside of the CVW environment?

I could envision having two types of V-22 dets. One is CVN based and one is expeditionary. The first supports CVWs just like C-2s currently do while the other det deploys to support the Fleets directly. If a CVN needs more support at a given time than the CVW V-22s, the Fleet has the ability to use its V-22s for augmented support. When the ship doesn't need the additional support, those V-22s would be tasked for shore-to-shore intra-theater logistics.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they'd send Navy guys to -204 only as long as it took to get a cadre qualified and maybe a seed crop of Cat-1s. I can't see succeeding generations of commodores leaving a squadron not under their aegis in charge of training their pilots/NACs, let alone a different service. Especially since, as you point out, we have (and most likely will have again) a COD commodore. Yes, I know Hornet guys train in each others' FRSes, but as with most things in Navy Air, "we don't do it that way" generally means "we're never going to do it that way". It's been long enough now with one wing/one RAG in VAW-VRC that there's not much active memory of it ever having been different.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
It is based around the timing of when you check into VAW-120. Studs classing up right now are alternating E-2Ds for a class then next class will usually be some C-2 spots with E-2C (CNS ATM).

It is based around the timing of when you check into VAW-120. Studs classing up right now are alternating E-2Ds for a class then next class will usually be some C-2 spots with E-2C (CNS ATM).

From what I've heard they put people in a room and let them figure it out which makes sense. However, I heard that people pay other people for the C-2 slot and that grades aren't taken into consideration for who gets C-2 anymore. I'm just trying to figure out what the current criteria is for who gets the C-2 slot if there's one available that week.

TexasTools

None
As mentioned above, it depends on when you show up here and what slots are available. NFO- and Pilot-wise, it's left up to the students to figure out who gets what platform and series. If you have extenuating circumstances, then you should already know to bring that up when you check in.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
From what I've heard they put people in a room and let them figure it out which makes sense. However, I heard that people pay other people for the C-2 slot and that grades aren't taken into consideration for who gets C-2 anymore. I'm just trying to figure out what the current criteria is for who gets the C-2 slot if there's one available that week.

The paying for a slot is not really a thing anymore. Not saying it could not happen, but everyone seems to be pretty gentlemanly/gentlewomanly about it.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, if you get C-2s now there's a good shot you'll be flying CMV-22Bs on your DH tour. Hawkeyes now = Hawkeyes later.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, if you get C-2s now there's a good shot you'll be flying CMV-22Bs on your DH tour. Hawkeyes now = Hawkeyes later.
Assuming BUPERS solves the current promotion logjam, and they actually get a DH tour, that is.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
sujoonwl24uvyfc6jomz.gif

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Is that much movement on the yoke and throttle standard, or is it an artifact of the GIF?

ChuckMK23

pilot
It also looks like the guy flying has his feet on the floor vice on the rudder pedals..- normal?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that much movement on the yoke and throttle standard, or is it an artifact of the GIF?

That's pretty standard.

It also looks like the guy flying has his feet on the floor vice on the rudder pedals..- normal?

You can see his legs moving. He's definitely on the pedals. The nose moves quite aggressively every time there is a power change without corresponding yoke and rudder input.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

pilot
That's pretty standard.

You can see his legs moving. He's definitely on the pedals. The nose moves quite aggressively every time there is a power change without corresponding yolk and rudder input.
So is bringing the COD aboard one of the toughest jobs in Naval Aviation? It seems it's no picnic. Is it because of the sheer difficulty in flying that the C-2 / COD community does not do night ops at the boat?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can see his legs moving. He's definitely on the pedals. The nose moves quite aggressively every time there is a power change without corresponding yolk and rudder input.
So if you hamfist the controls and bolter, is is safe to say that the egg is on you?