• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Just DOR and save us all the trouble.

i-want-your-DOR.jpg

BeardPapa

Sorry that I hurt some of your feelings. But I must be missing something: what's cool about flying in circles while getting your balls radiated off by a huge dome above your head? Because I think I'd rather deliver the mail and sleep in hotels in far off places while collecting per diem. I would love to hear more, because surely I'm wrong about many things here, but that seems like a lopsided deal to me.
Furthermore, the word I hear is that C2 guys love their jobs so much they stay in longer, hence less C2 billets are available.

Discuss.

BeardPapa

Also, I understand that these are tough questions. I certainly don't mean to bash E2s. I understand that the job is very critical. But as an outsider it seems like a no-brainer to go C2s unless you have a strong interest in having a hand in the air warfare business.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Also, I understand that these are tough questions. I certainly don't mean to bash E2s. I understand that the job is very critical. But as an outsider it seems like a no-brainer to go C2s unless you have a strong interest in having a hand in the air warfare business.

News flash there Papa- that is why you join the Navy or Marine Corps to fly. Want to get into the cargo business? My Brother's class in the AF just had 12 slots dropped from the C-17 community. I would look there.

srqwho

pilot
Listen bro, wings are wings. Every community has it's pros and cons. A shithead hornet guy = shithead C2 guy = shithead E2 guy. It's all the same.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Why all the hate for the kid because he would prefer C-2s over E-2s? He thinks flying the E-2 would kind of suck. He didn't say he wouldn't do it.

Just out of curiosity, has any pilot ever tried to get E-2s from the beginning as their number 1 choice?

Not bashing the E-2. Just curious.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why all the hate for the kid because he would prefer C-2s over E-2s? He thinks flying the E-2 would kind of suck. He didn't say he wouldn't do it.

Just out of curiosity, has any pilot ever tried to get E-2s from the beginning as their number 1 choice?

Not bashing the E-2. Just curious.

Imagine he'd declared, "...if it turned out I get forced to do Harriers, I'll vomit all over my shoes.."

I don't see the problem...personally, I love it when arrogant cones declare which airplanes they're too awesome to be 'forced' into when they haven't even pinned on wings, but that's just me.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Imagine he'd declared, "...if it turned out I get forced to do Harriers, I'll vomit all over my shoes.."

I don't see the problem...personally, I love it when arrogant cones declare which airplanes they're too awesome to be 'forced' into when they haven't even pinned on wings, but that's just me.

This has happened.

Those folks generally don't do well. Probably due more to lack of motivation and effort than to backlash from the JOPA or community. If they do succeed, they typically end up as the guy most likely to reference the Harrier cut and how all Hornet pilots are fag losers.

If he got E-2s and whined like a bitch, I'd agree with you. I just think he's stating the obvious that most SNAs think when it comes to selection at this point in the process.

I'm not hard over on it. Just curious.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

^What Uncle Fester said and it's a bold statment for his first post on the forum.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
If he got E-2s and whined like a bitch, I'd agree with you. I just think he's stating the obvious that most SNAs think when it comes to selection at this point in the process.

Gonna have to weigh in due to all the bashing and hate. Yes, BeardPapa is a bit of a tool for thinking it was appropriate to make such a bold statement right off the bat.

On the other hand, his opinion is pretty widely shared among SNAs.

Harrier Dude hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure if it's a running joke or what, but just about every other instructor during indoc briefs at the FRS asks "Did anyone here actually want to go this route?" To answer the question, yes, there are guys out there who want to go E-2's from the get-go. Admittedly, they are very few and far between. The airframe just doesn't get much positive press early on in the training commands like jets or CODs do (actually, I take that back, jets tend to get bashed by the predominately helo/P-3 instructor population in primary). It isn't until you start learning about the airplane itself, its many missions, and over all value that it starts to get pretty damn cool.

In the end it's going to boil down to this: Have a goal. When it doesn't work out, drink yourself stupid for a bit... then sack the fuck up, be a professional, and do the actual job you signed up to do to the best of your ability. It doesn't hurt to not be a douche in the process. In reality, airframe selection is only cementing the next 3-4 years of your career, assuming you get that far.

srqwho

pilot
Gonna have to weigh in due to all the bashing and hate. Yes, BeardPapa is a bit of a tool for thinking it was appropriate to make such a bold statement right off the bat.

On the other hand, his opinion is pretty widely shared among SNAs.

Harrier Dude hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure if it's a running joke or what, but just about every other instructor during indoc briefs at the FRS asks "Did anyone here actually want to go this route?" To answer the question, yes, there are guys out there who want to go E-2's from the get-go. Admittedly, they are very few and far between. The airframe just doesn't get much positive press early on in the training commands like jets or CODs do (actually, I take that back, jets tend to get bashed by the predominately helo/P-3 instructor population in primary). It isn't until you start learning about the airplane itself, its many missions, and over all value that it starts to get pretty damn cool.

In the end it's going to boil down to this: Have a goal. When it doesn't work out, drink yourself stupid for a bit... then sack the fuck up, be a professional, and do the actual job you signed up to do to the best of your ability. It doesn't hurt to not be a douche in the process. In reality, airframe selection is only cementing the next 3-4 years of your career, assuming you get that far.

Righteous words. FWIW I am not a fan of the selection process out of Phase 1 when it comes to going E2/C2 or strike. Recently it seems like it (props) has been given 99% more times than it has been asked for. I like the way it used to be when you selected it out of Primary... I say that having not been around when that was the case... just sounds like a better idea.

AUtiger

Crossing over to the dark side
pilot
I'm actually curious about the phase 1 selection in advanced. As far as I knew when I was there it was black magic, one day you were done with mid stage fclp the next day you either were doing more form and fam flights or onav ground school. What really goes into that selection?

And seriously they decide via deck of cards for E2 vs C2? So the rumors of people buying their way into C2 are false then?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
E2/C2 selection vs Phase 2 depends on the command. By that I mean it seems to be handled differently across the board. Some squadrons appoint a panel to evaluate all SNAs as they come out of phase 1 and make recommendations to the CO, some squadrons have COs that make their own decisions regardless of instructor opinion. Can't really say as it changes with the front office and needs of the Navy. I would say just dont be last, but that's not true either. There seems to be some type of quality spread factor applied to the decision, and having been through the pipeline, I understand why.

Regarding E2 vs C2 selection, yes, it's a deck of cards. StuCon will inform the class leader of the slots available and it is left to the class to figure out who will be where on the first day of indoc/ground school. So no, the rumors are not false.

BeardPapa

A lot of good points and apologies to those offended, excuse my tact, and puking on the shoes is of course an exaggeration. Like Harrier Dude said, the only pity party would be about an hour of hard drinks followed by getting siked up about E-2s. I'd love to be flying anything, even if its just KBayDog's model airplane.
On the other hand its good to see there is pride in the E-2 community. It would have said a lot if all the replies I got were "Yeah I know I hate my job this sucks." So that certainly backs up what I've heard so many people say already, that you'll be happy no matter where you end up.
Still would love to hear more. Keep it coming.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gonna have to weigh in due to all the bashing and hate.

This is the second post on this thread to use the word "hate". Wrong, I view it as "guidance" or more correctly "tough love". I think it worked fine as well, see post #224 above...

Joining a professional forum by bashing a Community he knows nada about, in the first post...didn't offend, but did amuse me (another troll, thought Ol' BzB). Glad I was wrong.

BeardPapa: I was not offended, as I was a jet guy, but I was in the fleet when the E-2 made there first two combat deployments in '66 & '67 (yes they've been operational that long!). Their services were invaluable to the Attack/Fighter communities (and the CVA), and they took great pride & great risk, in providing those services... in a high-threat environment.
BzB