• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2/C-2/CV-22 Pipeline

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Just out of curiosity, what's the general attitude of studs toward the E-2/COD pipeline down at the VTs? Not a one of those "what are my chances at flying a Hummer/Greyhound/Osprey" questions. Just curious if it ever gets #1 choice attention and what the ENS wisdom is on team turboprop. BTW, for those who are IPs, it's still a 50 NSS cutoff, right?

Thanks!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Yes, it has happened. What students put down on the dream sheet ran the full gamut. I had an on-wing that I believe had E2/C2 third and he got it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Still remember in Primary being told that the F-14 and E-2 were the two most difficult aircraft to bring aboard...and that VT-4 (E-2/C-2 CQ pipeline T-2) was a demanding syllabus with little slack.

Meyerkord

pilot
Of my friends group in API, I don't think a single person is interested in E-2 besides myself. It's probably 50% jets, 40% maritime, 10% helos at this point. Then again, we haven't had much exposure to the IPs of the different communities yet. I've read that COD is a hidden gem because of the limited time spent on the boat. I've also heard that piloting an E-2 has become more involved than it used to be. Pilots no longer kick back and read their magazines while the NFOs do all the work in the tube. They actually get more involved with the mission, which is pretty cool. At least according to the E-2 pilot at the fleet-fly-in.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I’ve never brought the E-2 (or any bird) aboard, but I did a couple passes at the field and it was a handful, even for a prop background. Also, it was the most uncomfortable aircraft by far I’ve flown.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Such an abortion of aircraft names. All three variants, but the Navy just turned it up to 11.

Can’t say I disagree. SOF birds have traditionally gotten Ms and assault aircraft Cs, and they reversed that for no reason.

The H-60 has variants spanning over half the alphabet. I don’t know why we don’t use suffixes for the V-22 variant, or at least the CMV—-it could be the MV-22C.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can’t say I disagree. SOF birds have traditionally gotten Ms and assault aircraft Cs, and they reversed that for no reason.

I'm convinced it was politics by the Marines, a lot easier to justify spending what they did on the V-22 when it is 'Multimission' and not just a mere 'Cargo' aircraft.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

The H-60 has variants spanning over half the alphabet. I don’t know why we don’t use suffixes for the V-22 variant, or at least the CMV—-it could be the MV-22C.

And the MH-60S started life at PMA as "CH-60"....