• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2/C-2/CV-22 Pipeline

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I joined the Navy, we learned that the Primary Mission was the First letter to the left of the dash. Any subsiquent letters before that letter further modified the function of that aircraft:

So EA-6B is Special Electronic Attack...

I'm not sure why they Navy has strayed from this naming scheme? So is the CMV-22 a Transport Mine countermeasures VSOTL aircraft?

NAVEDTRA 14014 said:
The present system of designating naval aircraft was initiated in late 1962. This system applies to all U.S. military aircraft. All the aircraft designations have one thing in common—a hyphen. The letter just before the hyphen specifies the basic mission, or type, of aircraft. The basic mission letters are as follows:
A—Attack
B—Bomber
C—Transport
E—Special electronic installation
F—Fighter
H—Helicopter
K—Tanker
O—Observation
P—Patrol
R—Reconnaissance
S—Antisubmarine
T—Trainer
U—Utility
V—VTOL and STOL
X—Research

If the aircraft has been modified from its original mission, a letter in front of the basic mission letter indicates its modified mission. Mission modification letters are as follows:
A—Attack
C—Transport
D—Director (for controlling drone aircraft or missiles)
E—Special electronic installation
H—Search/rescue
K—Tanker
L—Cold-weather aircraft (for Arctic or Antarctic operations)
M—Mine countermeasures
O—Observation
P—Patrol
Q—Drone
R—Reconnaissance
S—Antisubmarine
T—Trainer
U—Utility
V—Staff
W—Weather

All the aircraft designations have one thing in common—a hyphen; for example, the F/A-18E Hornet has a multipurpose role. The first letter(s) identify its mission. A number after the hyphen specifies the design number of the aircraft. A letter other than A (A being the original design) after the design number shows a change in the original design. For example, in F/A-18E, the F means fighter and A means attack aircraft. Its design number is 18, and it has been modified four times, represented by the E (fifth letter of the alphabet). Another example is the A-6A. When it is modified to perform early-warning missions, it then becomes the EA-6B Prowler because of the special electronic installation required for such missions. If both the special-use letter and the modified mission letter apply to the same aircraft, the special-use letter comes first. For example, YEP-3E refers to a prototype (Y), early warning (E), patrol aircraft (P), design number 3, and the design has been modified four times.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure why they Navy has strayed from this naming scheme? So is the CMV-22 a Transport Mine countermeasures VSOTL aircraft?

Because....politics, in this case likely service and procurement politics.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"Helicopter" isn't really a basic mission and neither is tilt rotor (or V/STOL), so that instruction has contradicted itself for a long time.

[shrugging shoulders emoji]

The F-35C ought to be redesignated as either the FV-23 or AV-9A or something. If any of you guys start one of those petitions.whitehouse.gov for this then I'll gladly sign it!! Mwuahahahaha!!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Helicopter" isn't really a basic mission and neither is tilt rotor (or V/STOL), so that instruction has contradicted itself for a long time.

[shrugging shoulders emoji]

The F-35C ought to be redesignated as either the FV-23 or AV-9A or something. If any of you guys start one of those petitions.whitehouse.gov for this then I'll gladly sign it!! Mwuahahahaha!!
I thought the petitions moved to their new website whitehouse.com? ;)

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Alright, I'll bite, how competitive would it be for someone who wanted to go 22s...in the USN and USMC?

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
It sounds like you have Goshawk written all over you.

haha, wow...

To answer XMID: yeah the hawkeye, was pretty damn comfortable, the seat moved up and down, fwd and aft, even reclined, the pedals even still moved as well. I will leave that with a caveat of about 4 hours, flew 5.3 a few times and for some reason the last hour plus, not being able to stand up wears on you. Now that you can add on inflight refueling, stand by for 6.0's.

Hawkeye is a handfull, but its a glorious job. No single anchor works less thank a hawkeye pilot on the ship. Minimal mission planning, so once you are proficient. Show up, brief, fly, land, safety of flight and see ya mid rats. the E-2D might be bringing the copilot more into the fold, and the hawkeye pilot was always present at the 6 hour mission planning, and set through many fighter de-briefs for professional development. But in general, just be safe behind the boat is your mission.

COD, if you are in primary now, I would not expect much of a tour or a career in an actual C2. That is a glorious community as well, the -22 will change many things, which I don't know much about so I won't speak to it. If you are in primary now, and want to go logistics.. i.e. COD or 22, i think you have to plan on not knowing what you are fully getting into. My friend is a COD test guy, primarily flying the 22, and loves it. But he's one of those guys that just generally an awesome person, and loves what he does, you know a real odd ball around here.