• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Bubbas Chime In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
No problem guys. I am about to start the T-45 stuff in Kingsville soon after new years, so I won't be too helpful for anything other than the T-44. Either way, congratulations on selecting E2/C2. It's by far the longest and most frustrating syllabus in flight school. Intermediate should take right about 3-4 months to complete. Be ready to immediately check out of VT-31 and head straight to Kingsville. From what I've been told, the T-45 syllabus for us takes about 8-9 months to complete. Get ready for a lot of, "Oh, you're one of those guys," from your IPs. As for the attrites, let's just say they had some problems. No need to say more. Don't screw around in the K-rock, cuz the jet guys have no real love for ....umm.... not jet guys such as ourselves. Enjoy and good luck!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E-2 Bubba

Best guys in the airwing.

My CAG wouldn't let our strikes go if the E-2C was not up. The radar upgrade was the best thing since sliced bread for this airframe.

They also have some of the funniest F'oclse Follies ever...a la "Naked E-2 Guy" comes to mind...

r/
G

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
About advanced and the rag...
Advanced training was the most fun I've had in the last couple of years. Although it's been a little while since I got done with it, I remember it as not being too difficult. There is a pretty good learning curve at first (like most things in the Navy) but then by the time you get to forms and CQs every flight is a joy ride. When I was there the mentality of the instructors seemed to change a little. At first I think a lot of instructors thought the e2/c2 guys were cocky. Really from what I know of that first class, they were confident. And they should have been; they were better than the jet guys who were just out of primary. It's amazing what an extra 50 hours and a tough instrument syllabus can do to one's ego. I was in the second group to go through Kingsville (in this current training scheme) and it seemed that the instructors treated us like anyone else. We probably got to have more fun on form flights than the jet guys (since it really didn't matter for us). In fact, there are a couple of E2 and C2 instructors there which helps.

The rag.... I knew Bunk there for only a very short period of time. He really screwed up my knowledge of aircraft systems. But he's right when he says that he was one of the most liked instructors there. Every one of us wouldn't have minded being in his det in the fleet. Of the C-2 instructors, I don't have a complaint about a single one. I think they were making an effort to be different than the E-2 bubbas. I even got "in trouble" with 2 of the instructors (SJ and CH) for using a ruler to make a brief board. Oh the times from Kingsville were really over. On the E-2 instructor side, I can't say that I have ever flown with them. However, they are the LSO's and everyone ends up being in the ready room together. It seemed that the O-4's and above were quite a bit stiffer than the LT's. Also, the word "sir" or "ma'am" was thrown out quite a bit more by E-2 students than C-2 students. Then again, maybe that was our fault.

I hope that is clear as mud now. Important thing to remember... don't screw up and you won't have to worry about much.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's really a good question. First let me say that the instructors were not harsh; perhaps rigid. Maybe Bunk would know more since he worked with them. I have a few ideas why they would be different.

First, on the E-2 side you have both winged pilots and student NFO's. So I think the attitude toward the SNFO's carries over some to the pilot side. Remember the SNFO's go through primary and then a very short intermediate before coming to the rag to finish training. Some of the instructor-flight school student dynamic spills over and results in the instructors having a little bit more distance from the replacement pilots.

Second, the command culture seems to be different. The way of doing business, preparing for a flight, and the actual mission are so far apart that the conduct of a flight is different. Briefing with the NFOs, the briefing board is setup in a way to provide a lot of information in an orderly manner. This adds to the rigidity of the program. It's the little things like that which add up to a general picture of the training at the rag.

Third, there are a lot more E-2 students and instructors (both pilot and fo) than C-2 guys.

On the C-2 side, it was just us. It was a first name basis for all of the pilots. By the time you get to the later flights, you won't even have a brief board. It was pretty much show up, know your sh*t, and go fly. I know I'm extremely biased when I say it, but I would much rather fly with an aircrewman than an NFO. And I have plenty of NFO friends, so that's not a knock on that side. I'm just happy I don't have to put up with that side of a mission. Aircrewmen are great: they not only load the plane; they fix it when it breaks.

I hope that gives you my idea toward the difference at the rag between the instructors.

... oh yeah, E-2 NFO's are dorks. ;)

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
kmac said:
... oh yeah, E-2 NFO's are dorks. ;)

I'd take umbrage with that, and send a little friendly banter back at you, but the E-2 NFO's I've met are not only dorks, they (oddly enough) claim that the rest of them are, too. It actually appears to be true!

Can one of the seasoned dorks share a little on what us nugget dorks can expect when we get there? Maybe a general outline of the syllabus or something. And how good will I have to be at math and computer geek stuff? Am I going to forget everything I learned about aviation?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Yeah, we're geeks and nerds; but we're the only ones that can make this damn thing work. You should see the spark trying to jump the gap in a fighter guy (or any pilot's) mind when it comes to running the system. :D

What to expect (more or less in order of the syllabus, circa 1999/2000):

Lots of systems (electrical, hydraulic, etc.). No more engines for those that might remember.

Comm systems (VHF/UHF/HF/comm relay)

System turn-on procedures (think it's before comms). Obnoxiously detailed and very specific in the order things are done (but for a reason).

Computer system. Word to the wise - it ain't a PC. Baseline Group II's have a behemoth computer designed for Cold War use. Hawkeye 2000 has a newer system that is much friendlier from an operator and maintainer's perspective.

Scope symbology is it's own mini unit somewhere around this point.

Radar - everybody's favorite (read: not really). I will say it's much easier than it used to be though.

IFF - who's who in the zoo.

Near Collision Intercepts (think vectoring fighters on a covert intercept or a fighter w/ no radar), followed by Air Intercept Control. AIC is the name of the game in the E-2.

Winging

Electronic Warfare basics and Passive Detection System use.

Link-4A/ Link-11/ Link-16 use (data link systems)

Tactics

Battle Problems (full-up strike scenario simulators). You'll have 5 BP's and will do two rotations through each of 1-4 and one ride for 5.

Congradulashuns, yue r now a E-2 NFO, fully qualified to be picked on by your new squadronmates.

BTW, Schnuggapup, that was "Manny" Labor from our squadron that was the "Naked E-2 Guy". That tape still exists and is just as funny as it ever was. Yeah, we're warped; but someone's got to do it, so it might as well be us. We did some follies tapes the next 2 cruises that'd just make you cry or piss yourself you'd be laughing so hard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.