• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E-2 Bubbas Chime In

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Hey guys,
I am about to I-grad and am deciding on whether to stay in pcola for jets or go to Norfolk...After talking to a bunch of strike guys, that sounds like the choice for me...However, I am still interested in e-2's. Can you guys tell me what it's all about? Most guys here aren't too positive about it. Let me know.
Thanks,
Goplay

Reactions: bch

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hope the E-2 guys speak up. For my experience though, the VAW community is usually the most professional, knowledgable, reliable and relied apon squadron in the airwing. Literally nothing happens without the E-2. If nothing else, you will be the go to guy, the man with the plan, the center of attention.

Reactions: bch

atogg16

I'm a NFO and I decided to head up here to VAW 120 and go the E-2 route after bein' pro-Hornet for most of my time in Pensacola. The E-2 LT I talked to in Pensacola laid it out for me like this: The Hornet world is ruled by pilots, NFO's are excess baggage to a certain extent. In E-2's, the pilots just fly around in circles, us FO's are the ones who make everything happen. From what I've seen up here at the RAG, I can tell you that's true. I just got back from spendin' a week on the boat helpin' with Carrier Quals, and after talkin' with other communities (F-14 & 18, EA-6B), they all grudgingly admitted that without us, they wouldn't be able to do their job. E-2's are the backbone of the fight, you always get the big picture of what's goin' on, and that means good chances for advancement and promotion, because your able to handle a wide spectrum of things. Plus, it's a FO oriented community, so your chances are greatly increased. I've loved every minute of it so far (Of course I haven't started class yet), and I think it's gonna be a blast.

joefoe

Hey there,
Good post question. I hope I can help you out. I graduated from Intermediate last November, and I'm earning my wings this week. That isn't typical. If you choose the E-2, don't expect that long of a delay. I had 4 months off between intermediate and starting the RAG. Anyway, here's a simplified flow of the training.
-Typically, 7-8 months for winging, although the pace is picking up
-The first 4-5 months is systems, systems, systems. You've got to understand the parts before you understand the plane.
-After that, you move into more of a tactical approach, controlling 14's, 18's ,etc (in the simulator, of course).
-You wing
-You have more training, tactics and systems, for about 4 months.
-You then go out to the fleet, and eventually rule the world

Much time is spent in the simulator.
People are much more laid back

The E-2 community is a great one. Chill, but extremely knowledgable. It bothers me how bad of a rap this platform receives in P-cola. As for later in your career, you are the person that people look to for info. Plus, it is staying around for a long time! If you go strike, prepare for a transition (or maybe not getting picked up for one). Hawkeyes, Hornets, and Helos will be what you see on the deck soon.
Good luck with your choice. Any q's let me know.

Also,
Go talk to an E-2 guy who's down there. They'll be happy to hook you up with answers to any questions you might have.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, I have talked to a few of the E-2 bubbas. I have just always thought that I was going to head prowlers but now that there is a draft on in Pcola for E-2's, I have to get my brain around the possibility that I will be heading to Norfolk. I just want to get an idea of what's going to happen to me if I get down there.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Hey guys, Well, it looks like it doesn't matter what I wanted, they selected me for E-2's anyway...Any of you guys know of a good place to live up there?

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on what type of bubba you are - if you are a city bubba, and like walking to bars and restaurants, then downtown Norfolk or Ghent are the places for you to look. There are rental apartments right off of the water (very bling bling - you'll need a roommate), and some garden style/walkups off of Granby. If you don't mind driving a bit to work, but would rather be closer to the beach and associated amenities, then look around Chicks Beach or Va Beach (which is a conglomeration of many communities and not always near water...)

Rugger

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, my brother lived in Ghent and I liked that a lot so maybe I will go there. Is there a spot where a lot of the E-2 bubbas live? I know here in Pensacola, we all seemed to live out the back gate/Perdido...Is there a similiar place in Norfolk?

Butta

I'm a civilian right now, but I live in the area. I've been here for many years. It is a great area to live in. Norfolk, Va. Beach and Chesapeake are like one big community. If you have questions about the life or the area here I can respond. One thing though, if you don't want a long drive or dont want to get stuck in traffic going to and from work, you might want to find a place near the base.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, so I am heading to Norfolk right after Christmas...Are there any places that I NEED to look at. I am a city kid and frankly am sick of the college style apts. of Pcola...Any suggestions on where to look? Let me know.

Butta

There are plenty of apts in the area and military families have plenty of homes they rent out when the get new orders. It all depends on what type of place you want to stay in. The variety of places near the base is not that good. They are many places a few miles away. However, a few miles in the Hampton Roads area,(Norfolk, Va.Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton), on I-64 can mean a 15-45 min drive to and from the base during morning and evening rush hour. I'll give you a brief lowdown on housing here. Every city has its pros and cons. Let me know later what price range you looking for.

Norfolk:
-Older style homes and building because a lot of historic area trying to be preserved.
-Drainage sucks. When it rains in most parts, streets flood.
-Closer to FRS.
-Reasonable prices.
-Going through redevelopement which is a plus.

Va. Beach:
-Very, very, very nice. (My home)
-More expensive prices.
-More attraction, shopping, food, beach etc.
-Some parts can be as for as a 45 min drive on a good day. 1hr or more on bad. Reason, Va. Beach is a big city.
-Always something near by.

Chesapeake:
-If you want to live where fewer people are, then its home.
-Will be a very bad communte to and from base during peak rush hour.
-The side next to Va.Beach is very nice.
-Building up pretty fast. Won't be many "country" parts for long.
-The water is bad. If living in Chesapeak invest in bottled water, filter and water softner for washer.

Hampton:
-Very cheap places to stay. Reason coming next:
-Have to commute through tunnel to get to base.
-Tunnel traffic is very unpredictable. Many traffic pack ups. You will soon find out when you get here.
-Nothing is really on that side of the water, shopping, attractions, entertainment etc. Which mean you will have to put your fate in the hand of................. THE TUNNEL, du du duuuuuuuuh.
-You will be anywhere from 15-35 min closer to D.C. and Williamsburg.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
THe city of Norfolk sounds more like me. Frankly, I am sick of living near the beach (if you can believe that). I could use some city time...So, my price range pretty much relies on my BAH...The other guys who are coming up there are married or have already secured roomates...So, where is a good spot. Seeing as how I could possibly spend the next 5 years here, I don't want it to be a standard college apt. Let me know.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
For rentals, you can google "Ghent Village" or "Ghent on the Square." A handful of SNFO's and instructors live there. You might want to wait until you get winged before buying something, as you could end up a west coast or Japan bubba....

Rugger

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, question number 2 other than living...I got fitted for a g-suit and harness today. Now I know I'm not going to be pullin mad G's in the E-2 so what gives...? Also, does that mean we cross train in other jets? Let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.